Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How do, fellow pegheads! Well, the dust from GenCon has settled, and people are getting to play some of their purchases (their MANY purchases, looking at some of the pics I've seen)!

So let's do a retrospective: If you went to GenCon, what was your favourite part? And what was your game(s) of the Con?

If you didn't go to GenCon, did you GenCant? If so, what did you get played?

And if you didn't GenCon OR GenCant, was there anything you've seen from pics/videos from the con that made you think "oooh, I want to try THAT out!"?

And what's next? Any of you going to any other conventions in the near future?

But of course, what the pegheads really want to know is: What are you playing THIS week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Masouras
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did not go to Gen Con but did get Edge of Darkness and loving it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings, Pegheads!

I didn't go to GenCon, but seriously thinking about doing so next year, as I'm now an Envoy and they're always looking for assistance. I have no interest in moving through the massive throng of people, but working at a booth and meeting other gamers would make me happy!

As for GenCon games, the only one for which I have any interest is Black Angel as I love Troyes, the same design team is back in action, and it plays solo! That's enough for me as an Insta-Buy. Over the weekend, I had a chance to play Point Salad which is an adorable, clever card game, which plays in about 10-15 minutes. If you're looking for a quick, filler, this might be the one.

Upcoming Conventions:

Sep: WashingCon, Georgetown
Nov: Across the Board's ATBCon in Omaha, NE and Playhouse, Myerstown, PA
Dec: PAX Unplugged, Philadelphia, PA

As for gaming...

Mon: Opening my copy of Everdell which is at least a month early, so I'm thrilled about that!
Tue: D&D for Aug, as I'll be on travel (business and pleasure) most of the month

Nick,

I'll be as close to you as I will for quite awhile. On Thursday, I'm flying to London...and over the next nine days, my daughter and I shall visit Stratford-Upon-Avon, Liverpool, Edinburgh, and Dublin.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Masouras wrote:

Ooooh, nice. How different is it to the other card crafting games the designer/publisher have released?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
As for GenCon games, the only one for which I have any interest is Black Angel as I love Troyes, the same design team is back in action, and it plays solo! That's enough for me as an Insta-Buy.

I'm interested in Black Angel too, mainly based on Rahdo's utterly over-the-top excitement for it.

The Professor wrote:
Mon: Opening my copy of Everdell which is at least a month early, so I'm thrilled about that!

Everdell is a lovely game. Really interesting flow, with players deciding when to go to the next phase independently of other players. And the artwork... aaaah, just thinking of it makes me feel happy.

The Professor wrote:
Nick, I'll be as close to you as I will for quite awhile. On Thursday, I'm flying to London...and over the next nine days, my daughter and I shall visit Stratford-Upon-Avon, Liverpool, Edinburgh, and Dublin.

Sweet! Hope you have a great trip! Any gaming plans whilst here? You'll find a lot of groups in London especially (London on Board run something every night of the week, I believe)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Sweet! Hope you have a great trip! Any gaming plans whilst here? You'll find a lot of groups in London especially (London on Board run something every night of the week, I believe)

Actually, a member of my Irish Pub game group will visit the UK at the same time and we plan on meeting at a pub in Edinburgh on the same day (Thursday) as our normal Game Night. I'm packing Tiny Epic Galaxies, along with Case #4 of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and Black Sonata (both of which seem fitting).

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Masouras wrote:

Looking forward to my copy arriving imminently!

Gencant as always for me.

My wife and I finally continued Gloomhaven-2p now because my son finds the sessions long. Played 3x earlier in the week and won 2 scenarios.
I had a good game day on Friday and played:

Raiders of the North Sea (1st time, and he threw in all expansions and that was fun)
Hadara
passtally
Small World with my son and his friend
Import/Export
Pax Pamir 2e

Yesterday learned some Raccoon Tycoon and taught Majesty, and my younger son beat us at Herbaceous as usual.

Can’t complain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't go to GenCon this year... might try to make it again next year as a volunteer like Joe--that was pretty fun the year I did it.

GenCan't didn't work out for us either as we had some car trouble the night we were supposed to go to a local GenCan't event. I did manage to score a copy of Point Salad from the local gaming cafe though, and we've been playing the heck out of it!

I'm kind of in a mode now where I'm trying be deliberately unaware of new games and releases, because I really can't be buying many new games. I have. I paid zero attention to what was coming out at GenCon and didn't look at much coverage of the convention, other than my regular podcast listening.

We have a small local con in here in a couple weeks that I'll be attending and running some games at, but beyond that, no cons in the forecast until PAXU in December. In the near future, I'm going to be involved in the retail release splash month for Chip Theory Games' title Too Many Bones. I've heard nothing but praise for this game, so I'm taking a chance on it even though I've never played it myself. I'll be running demos all through next month at multiple stores (including Six Feet Under Games in New Holland, PA on September 14, if any Pegheads want to drop in and say hi!)

This week, there's not much in the way of planned gaming. Still going to game night tonight, but I don't know what we'll be playing for certain. Gentes, Tzolk'in, and Teotihuacan are all possibilities...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vigo Velito
United States
Haymarket
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't go to GenCon, We went into DC for the natural history museum for the kiddos the weekend of GenCon. We did swing my Labyrinth game store and picked up Slide Quest and Point Salad for playing with them, the store had those gencon releases, as it was doing the inaugural pop-up event.

Blue Orange does a great job for kids/family games and Slide Quest was perfect for our 3 older (those over 4 years of age). Slide Quest has been requested and played multiple times this past week. The two eldest tried on their own as well, which is nice to see them "try" to work together.

Point Salad is a great filler that really can accommodate any group -- simple rules, fast play time, and some decisions (few, but enough to keep it engaging). I don't have a lot of small, light games that play a good chunk of people (plays up to 6) but this fills that niche nicely. I also like broom service the card game for this play space -- I can get the 3 oldest to the table with either of these. Though my oldest said it would be better if it were with fruit instead of veggies (At least he didn't say junk food...parenting win). He hasn't experienced Feld, doesn't get the joke...no loud peg fanboying...yet.

Out of GenCon I am curious about:
(1) Aftermath by Plaid Hat and Jerry, looks like it will be the best version of the storybook system. My wife still wants to give Stuffed Fables a try, and based on Patrick's and other's thoughts of Comonauts was hoping for another evolution of the system.
(2) Black Angel is high on my list as well as it has wonderful look, Troyes feel (never played so this looked like this would give me a chance to get a feel for it).

Molly and I met up with Joe and Ping on Saturday. We needed them to influence us to add another game to our collection ...Molly was looking it up online on the car ride home...Joe did a wonderful job teaching us Yokohama! What a great game! Simple decision space for placing "workers" with high-levels of interaction. The tight economy really makes those interactions meaningful at all moments in the game. It is one of those games where both Molly and I have been thinking about it well after the game is over. You know you played a great game when you can discuss it for longer than you sat there actually playing the game.

When we got home, our brains firing, we sat down to do our learning play of La Granja which I had finished reading the rules to. I had not understood the meta of using the trade commodities in the right way (delivered it early and locked myself out of options). Molly followed suit and our game dragged, we put it away after round 4. Something didn't feel right so I watched some of Rado's run through...clicked in my head, and we tried again on Sunday -- yep, that was much better...that game really gets your brain working. I could see AP being a problem with all of the flexibility that you have. We would like to get that back to the table again as well.

Too many excellent games, too little time.

Upcoming: We are planning on bringing our two oldest to WashingCon for a day...maybe our 3 oldest (depends on behavior -- two oldest can play pretty much any game rated 8+). WashingCon looks very family oriented and should be a good time for all. I just don't want to hold our oldest back from playing more complex games, we may have to split up...he can play pretty much anything -- his goal is to play our most complex of games -- we are working our way up introducing new mechanics slowly to him. He beat us fair and square at Machi Koro w/ all the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No GenCon or GenCan't for me. I have a silly fantasy of working in Stronghold's booth someday. I love Stephen Buonocore's passion and I think he has been a great ambassador for the hobby. I have also been interested in Black Angel, also because I love Troyes. I am super interested in Abomination: The Heir of Frankenstein, but I just don't know if the art in it would be a turn off to some of my main gaming friends. Probably a pass on both since I already have too many games for me.

This week is the monthly FLGS meet up. I will be showing/demoing a game called Dead Sprint. The designer of the game lives in the next town over. I will also bring Space Gate Odyssey, Wingspan, and probably Troyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first year I didn't really play anything for GenCant!!! Things were pretty hectic as I was getting ready to leave for a week-long conference and my mother-in-law was in town visiting and we were working on ironing out details for getting some work done on a house we're in the process of buying. But the good news is that I got to hang out and play some games with the awesome pegheads Dave and Steven! We played Ragusa, Star Wars: Outer Rim, Piepmatz, and Tiny Towns.

I didn't see much from GenCon that got me real excited...I think I'll wait for Essen.

This week I'm hoping to get some more weeknight gaming happening at home and we have a gameday planned with friends on Sunday. Maybe I'll finally learn Lewis & Clark or Age of Steam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macy Allan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn’t get to GenCon (frankly I’m afraid that I would be overwhelmed), but I did score a copy of Point Salad thanks to a BGG contest (!) and played it a couple of times with my son and reluctant game-playing husband. Easy instructions, colourful cards, quick games made for a fun afternoon play. My son, however only wants to play CABO (second edition) even since I picked it up at Origins. I’ve downloaded the free app for Silver and he’s playing that now too.
I’m hoping to get in a play of Jaws later this week since the boy enjoys being a deadly shark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
No GenCon or GenCan't for me. I have a silly fantasy of working in Stronghold's booth someday.

Funny you should say that; at my first and only GenCon, which I know was also your first and only GenCon, I worked half the con for Portal Games in their booth, but when assignments were being handed out I'd listed Stronghold as my #1 preference. With it being my first BIG convention and my first time working a booth at one, they felt it might be too much like diving into the deep end of the pool with no swim lessons. Apparently Buonocore runs a tight ship! Working for Portal was a good experience though, and I've since worked for Indie Boards & Cards (at PAXU Prime; this was before they formed the merged studio with Stronghold)...so maybe I have an 'in' for future cons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first GenCon and I loved it. We did the First Exposure Playtest Hall where we playtested our games for 18 hours, with five additional hours of playtesting elsewhere. It was a great con.

My favorite moment was our pitch session with a big German publisher, whose representative was super nice and friendly and encouraging, even as we showed him at least one game we knew wasn't right for his company but we had extra time and he seemed interested.

You can hear more about my top 5 moments in a recent episode of my podcast Pick Up and Deliver, which I try not to mention here more than once a month or so.

What a great trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls