Subject: Episode 152-Chronicles of Crime & GenCon recap rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christina Rouse
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Pegheads! Happy Monday! We've put together our GenCon recap and a review of Chronicles of Crime. You don't want to miss your opportunity to win an AMAZING Queen package that contains one of a kind prizes!
https://bluepegpinkpeg.com/2019/08/12/episode-152-chronicles...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Elkins
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why no creative point this week? I always like to hear the crazy connections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Light
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was there this year and only saw you once when you were playing Reavers Of Midgard. I was late to an event so I never go to say hi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCallen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How I imagined Rob meeting Feld went.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Bodhibelly wrote:
Why no creative point this week? I always like to hear the crazy connections.

Nothing inspired me this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mooses05 wrote:
How I imagined Rob meeting Feld went.

very close, more froth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Good episode! I also went without a sighting of the Pegs at Gencon, but I spent most of the weekend in the First Exposure Playtest Hall, so I didn't really do much to make it happen.

Regarding Chronicles of Crime, there are 6 scenarios in the base game: 1 tutorial, 2 standalone cases, and 3 in a campaign. They currently offer 5 standalone DLC cases for $5 each (US). The Alice in Wonderland themed one is the best.

I have played more of the game than I would have because my son really likes it (and getting him to read more than a few minutes at a stretch is tough, so 60-90 minutes of reading out loud is worth it for us).

That said, because the game is so app-centered, it doesn't really feel like a board game to me. Even though it's not fundamentally different than the casebook in Sherlock Holmes, the difference puts me off in a way I can't really articulate, except to say that I don't like CoC nearly as much as Sherlock Holmes or Detective. I would give it a low 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
The Alice in Wonderland themed one is the best.

You see this Jeremy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chronicles of Crime is one I have been playing with my daughter. We've played the intro and three other scenarios, one which was a bonus scenario that came with the VR glasses. We ran into a couple of the issues where we just didn't know what to do next. I kind of felt a little dumb, like Jeremy was alluding to, or figured deduction wasn't our game. We did have a lot more success on the last game, even though we got on the trail of the wrong party, and scored some points in the end and discovered something cool. The breakthrough was exhilarating. We both were so excited our eyes practically bugged out and our mouths flapped open while we were coming up with our theories of what was going on...it was so much fun!!!

I think talking to the various assistants was key to the info we discovered and carrying on the storyline. Even though it costs time, I think we will do that more. I also want to try not to discover the answers if we don't get them figured out. We are both impatient, though, and always chose to see what the solution was.

There was recently an update to my CoC app, so I wonder if they added a new story(ies). Looks like there are several DLC's to download, but I think we'll start with Noir next as there will be free content. I want to wait to start the three part scenario from the original game since 2/3 are rated as hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
There was recently an update to my CoC app, so I wonder if they added a new story(ies). Looks like there are several DLC's to download, but I think we'll start with Noir next as there will be free content. I want to wait to start the three part scenario from the original game since 2/3 are rated as hard.

Shut Up and Sit Down were pretty hard on the Noir expansion. You may want to look at their review before you decide whether to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m surprised that Rob had never heard of Paul Charchian before. Paul is one of my favorite fantasy football talking heads. As far as I can tell, he was the person who developed and publicized what people call the “zero rb strategy”. His cheat sheets are the ones I’ve been using with great success for years. He is a real gamer who regularly brings gaming ideas and theory to fantasy football. Look for his podcasts and articles on fanball.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:

Shut Up and Sit Down were pretty hard on the Noir expansion. You may want to look at their review before you decide whether to buy.

Well, bummer. I had purchased it at the same time I got the core game. We'll see how it goes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
wombat929 wrote:

Well, bummer. I had purchased it at the same time I got the core game. We'll see how it goes...

Do let us know! My experience is about 60/40 with their reviews, so there's plenty of leeway for them to dislike something and for me/us to enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the "Stefan Feld is a regular person and does regular things" "surprise" (of course it's not actually a surprise, but with celebrities it's easier to forget, right?):

My cousin is in the same boardgaming club that Stefan Feld also attends (not all the time, but regularly). When I first heard about this, I was impressed/excited that they get to play with such a gaming celebrity, but at the club, he is of course a normal member, and nobody pays particular attention to his fame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Regarding the "Stefan Feld is a regular person and does regular things" "surprise" (of course it's not actually a surprise, but with celebrities it's easier to forget, right?):

My cousin is in the same boardgaming club that Stefan Feld also attends (not all the time, but regularly). When I first heard about this, I was impressed/excited that they get to play with such a gaming celebrity, but at the club, he is of course a normal member, and nobody pays particular attention to his fame.

Don Eskridge (who designed THE RESISTANCE) came to my game group for a while. I tried not to geek out too much when he started accusing me of being a traitor in a game. HE WAS THE LIAR, NOT ME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
would have enjoyed that!

wombat929 wrote:
Gswp wrote:

Don Eskridge (who designed THE RESISTANCE) came to my game group for a while. I tried not to geek out too much when he started accusing me of being a traitor in a game. HE WAS THE LIAR, NOT ME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls