Subject: August 2019 european math trade discussion thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kostas Retalis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all! I am happy to announce the European Math's trade!

Geeklist for the European Math Trade:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/260088/august-2019-europe...

Deadline for submitting items for trade: Tuesday, August 20th, 2019, 20:00 GMT
Deadline for submitting want lists: Wednesday, August 28th, 2019, 20:00 GMT

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas Retalis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arbitrage Notes

Offering X (English) for X (German) is allowed.
Offering X (English) + Y sweetener for X (German) is allowed.
Offering X (English) + Y sweetener for X (German) + Z sweetener is allowed.

Offering X (English) for X (German) + Y sweetener is not allowed.

Those apply even if OLWLG flags them as possible arbitrage cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McLaughlin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

This would be my first math trade - I have only ever stumbled upon the threads after the deadlines have passed. However, I know the general concept, and am eager to participate.

However, I see many items in this trade listed as "Shipping: free in Europe". Having previously sold used games by mail through facebook and the geekmarket, I know that shipping costs for my end of europe [Finland] are quite high; a single alea-size game to France, Germany, or the UK will cost approx 30 euros. I'm told that this is well above average for the EU.

My question is seeking advice - I'm happy to pay the same to ship my games out that others do, but am wary of the disparity. Do I point out the shipping costs in my listed items? Do I offer to pay the first $15 eur and ask the trade match to bear the rest of the cost? Or should I simply avoid posting altogether because my costs are so high?

Apologies if this is answered in an FAQ somewhere - I wasn't able to find it using the BGG search function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Klapka
Czech Republic
Praha 10
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
yes, you can say for example that first 15 EUR is paid by you and rest by receiving party.

However you must be aware that it heavily disadvantages you from my point of view. If you put up game which both of us value 40, however I will have to pay another 15 EUR for shipping I would match your item with significantly cheaper (25 or less) item from my list to offset shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Klapka
Czech Republic
Praha 10
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious if you can see this math trade in OWLG or not yet?

I do not see it there and I am used to add items from OWLG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No! You can NOT say "I will pay the first X", but you can definitely say "Recipient will have to pay X"! If you're in doubt, overshoot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas Retalis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, the terms of the trade have been added on the geeklist:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/260088/august-2019-europe...

I didn't change anything from the previous one, I hope I can modernize the description a bit in the future, after I am better aware of the whole process (first time as an organizer, I have taken part in many greek ones before though).

I am open to any comments and/or help! Thank you in advance!

kamixx wrote:
I am curious if you can see this math trade in OWLG or not yet?

I do not see it there and I am used to add items from OWLG.

Yeah, you are right. I didn't have the time to submit it yesterday and I just submitted it. Please check back in a few hours or so adn sorry for the delay in my part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Alexander
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Practical question.
I added a Dutch printing 7 Wonders expansion. Even though the game is language independent, the cards names use the edition's language. Because I own the base game and all other expansions in English I want the latest expansion to match the common language.
Hypothetically, if an EN version were to be on offer, would it be allowed under the rules for me to propose a trade of my NL version for the hypothetical EN version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas Retalis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex the Pretty Good wrote:
Practical question.
I added a Dutch printing 7 Wonders expansion. Even though the game is language independent, the cards names use the edition's language. Because I own the base game and all other expansions in English I want the latest expansion to match the common language.
Hypothetically, if an EN version were to be on offer, would it be allowed under the rules for me to propose a trade of my NL version for the hypothetical EN version?

Sure, as long as you don't get a sweetener too (while not offering one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the OLWLG will pick that up as arbitrage and flag it. Obviously it will the moderator's call as to whether it is actually arbitrage under the terms of this MT, but just noting that it will probably be highlighted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Practical question.
I *think* that when Dmitris was running the trade he was perfectly happy for folks to trade language versions 1:1 on the basis that:

a) they were not "like" for "like + something else"*
b) it speaks to the very essence of the European MT that different language versions are readily wanted and perfect for a simple 1:1 exchange between two parties who have a version in each other's language.

The UK MT takes a very purist and idealogical view of what constitutes arbitrage* and denies the possibility of 1:1 exchange of different language versions. It probbaly stems from our fear of anything forrin'.

* arbitrage more or less means getting something for nothing.

Update: Oops - sorry I missed this
Fabregus wrote:
Thank you for stepping forward to run the trade - good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Kostas: please synch with the OLWLG so that people can check their own items in the OLWLG before phase 1 ends.

Also, we are at 354 items so we could use some more! Two days left to submit items. (Don't forget to add some monetary items if you intend to trade cash for games.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
France
Annecy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
Also, we are at 354 items so we could use some more! Two days left to submit items. (Don't forget to add some monetary items if you intend to trade cash for games.)

I can't enter anything this time because of family vacations, but will definitely be in for the next round. Is this something that happens monthly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
dakendi wrote:
smithlucas wrote:

I can't enter anything this time because of family vacations, but will definitely be in for the next round. Is this something that happens monthly?
It happens three times per year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas Retalis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
@Kostas: please synch with the OLWLG so that people can check their own items in the OLWLG before phase 1 ends.

Did it, sorry for those delays, it's my first time organizing along a vacation period.

Fabregus wrote:

Confirmed with Dimitris that I had it right.

Offering X (English) for X (German) is allowed.
Offering X (English) + Y sweetener for X (German) is allowed.
Offering X (English) + Y sweetener for X (German) + Z sweetener is allowed.

Offering X (English) for X (German) + Y sweetener is not allowed.

Those apply even if OLWLG flags them as possible arbitrage cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Moose
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a general Math Trade question but: does it matter that a sweetener I've added to an item appears highlighted red in OLWGL? According to the color code legend, that means it's a sweetener I don't have in my collection. I indeed didn't have it in my collection, but added it yesterday. Is that a problem?

I know I'm potentially worrying over nothing, sorry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReverseMeeple wrote:
This is a general Math Trade question but: does it matter that a sweetener I've added to an item appears highlighted red in OLWGL? According to the color code legend, that means it's a sweetener I don't have in my collection. I indeed didn't have it in my collection, but added it yesterday. Is that a problem?

I know I'm potentially worrying over nothing, sorry
No, this shouldn't be a problem. Remember that you manually need to re-synch your collection on the OLWLG, so that it knows about the changes you made to your collection on BGG (to do so click "Your collection data last resynced ..." on the frontpage of the OLWLG)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Moose
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, good point, thanks. Will do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Alexander
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is my first Math trade I might have some questions which are described somewhere in the "how to" guides that I missed before. If so, I'm sorry.

If there are multiple items I might be interested in, can I offer a trade for each of them or should I make a choice?
e.g. if I 'm interested in games X and Y, can I enter:
Offer Game A for Game X
Offer Game A for Game Y
So if only one of my wants would link up to my offer, it would be included?

Also, can I prioritize the selection? Say I would like Game X more than Game Y, if both selections would be a match to my offer, can I set that the trade for Game X is the one selected?

And if so, How do I go about this in OLWLG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is my first Math trade I might have some questions which are described somewhere in the "how to" guides that I missed before. If so, I'm sorry.

If there are multiple items I might be interested in, can I offer a trade for each of them or should I make a choice?
e.g. if I 'm interested in games X and Y, can I enter:
Offer Game A for Game X
Offer Game A for Game Y
So if only one of my wants would link up to my offer, it would be included?

Also, can I prioritize the selection? Say I would like Game X more than Game Y, if both selections would be a match to my offer, can I set that the trade for Game X is the one selected?

And if so, How do I go about this in OLWLG?
The math trade exchange is one item per one item, so you can offer A game for all the games you want. When the Trade Maximizer will run it will select the offer that let him to create the maximum number of exchange, so you say which games you would like to exchange for your game A and then the Trade Maximizer select which one you will get, this means that for game A you can't create a list of priorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas Retalis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
11 hours remaining for the first (adding items) phase...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbara Belšak
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this is not a dumb question...
I've noticed some people post multiple items in matter of minutes. Is there a way to save your GeekList Items for simpler posting in further mathtrades?? I write the descriptions and edit them over and over again, every single math trade blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Moose
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a dumb question at all!

In OLWLG, I don't remember exactly where, but you can add items from previous Math Trades. It opens all of them up in a page with their former descriptions, which you can edit before adding them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic DAYRE
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReverseMeeple wrote:
Not a dumb question at all!

In OLWLG, I don't remember exactly where, but you can add items from previous Math Trades. It opens all of them up in a page with their former descriptions, which you can edit before adding them again.

1st icon under the MT link on the home page (package w/ green "plus" sign).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbara Belšak
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys so much meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide