Andreas Joska
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
Avatar
Some weeks ago I did a Kickstarter for playing cards designed by me. Surprisingly, even as we did everything wrong you can do (especially starting to read Jamey Stegmaiers blog just a few days ago), it got funded with a lot of luck and the help of many friends.

I was super happy and was looking forward to seeing them produced and holding them in my hands. When they arrived I opened them and saw that they were printed on the wrong cardstock (smooth instead of linen finish). You can't imagine how much this sucks.

I hope the producer will cooperate. As this is a big card company they have a reputation to lose. I will keep you updated on the topic. Wish me luck!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What did your order specify? Did you pay for linen finish?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck in fixing the problem!

I know this might sound stupid but did you take a close look at both sides of the card? Yes it still would be wrong if its just one side but I know crappy companies might try that loophole.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Joska
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
Avatar
GrauGeist wrote:
What did your order specify? Did you pay for linen finish?

Yes, I just looked up the order form and it says linen finish.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Joska
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
Avatar
mafman6 wrote:
Good luck in fixing the problem!

I know this might sound stupid but did you take a close look at both sides of the card? Yes it still would be wrong if its just one side but I know crappy companies might try that loophole.

No, both sides are smooth. As the producer is a well known playing cards company I hope they will cope with the problem in an orderly fashion. I would detest to have to get a lawyer for this case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maschina wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:
What did your order specify? Did you pay for linen finish?

Yes, I just looked up the order form and it says linen finish.

OK, then yeah, they will need to redo it because it's not to spec.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Joska
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
Avatar
GrauGeist wrote:
Maschina wrote:
GrauGeist wrote:
What did your order specify? Did you pay for linen finish?

Yes, I just looked up the order form and it says linen finish.

OK, then yeah, they will need to redo it because it's not to spec.

Yes, thats out of the question, but as a graphic designer myself I know how it feels to be responsible for this kind of mistake. And I honestly hate to ruin somebodies day.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Joska
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
Avatar
Update: Just talked to the producers and they will produce the whole bunch anew. Even if this means getting the decks and repacking them. Sadly they won't refund some of the money as they stand up to their part of the contract.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds fair - you paid for X, you're getting X. Yeah, it's unfortunate that it'll be later, but you're getting what you paid for.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Joska
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
Avatar
Yeah thats right. Thanks for your support anyway. It's nice to see that there are people here who know the business.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any chance that your able to keep the misprint?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Joska
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
Avatar
mafman6 wrote:
any chance that your able to keep the misprint?

I will have to keep some as I already gave ten or so out. Hope this will not result in additional problems. But they will be quite collectors items I guess

All in all I think it is a sad waste of resources if they get shreddered. But seems like that's the way it is.

But at least 'Das Bummerl der Verdammten' (The name of the deck) is standing up to its name. It means roughly translated 'The curse of the damned'
 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert lausevic
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

In similar situations, the printing company has insisted I return the misprinted items before I get new ones.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Joska
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
Avatar
thatrobert wrote:

In similar situations, the printing company has insisted I return the misprinted items before I get new ones.


Yes, this is the case here as well.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls