Xing Quach
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
In my game, there will be alot “return card to the dex” and “drawn card from the dex” action respectively. Why? Because the game don’t has a place to put used card, but instead the used card will return back to the dex. I choose this mechanism because I want the card to be circle around and reuse. On average, each player may do them both every 2-3 turn.

When I test it, I find this return and drawn may become a bit annoying,so how can I prevent it from becoming annoying? Or how can I change the mechanism to have less of that?

I’m new so any reference is good as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is dex?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xing Quach
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Corsaire wrote:
What is dex?
oh I mean the stack of cards. I think people call them card dex, don’t I’m correct or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"dex" == "Deck"

Typically, players have cards in one of the following locations:
* Deck = hidden cards, unseen
* Hand = cards only known to player
* in Play = cards revealed, active
* Pile = played cards, inactive

Typically, players draw a card / multiple cards from the Deck into their Hand, then Play whatever cards they are allowed to. When the card is done, it goes into the discarded Pile.

Usually, the game directs players to reshuffle the discard Pile back into the Deck at some point. Often, this is done by exception when the Deck is empty and exhausted.

This minimizes the reshuffle and restock of the Deck, so less card handling vs playing time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Even if you don't want to use a discard pile, you could reduce the slowdown by making shuffling cards back into the deck the very last thing you do on your turn, so the next player can begin their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GrauGeist wrote:
"dex" == "Deck"
Thank you. I was wondering if maybe it was a contraction of "index"...

GrauGeist wrote:
Typically, players have cards in one of the following locations:
* Deck = hidden cards, unseen
* Hand = cards only known to player
* in Play = cards revealed, active
* Pile = played cards, inactive
That last one should be "discard pile", not just "pile". If you only say "pile", many people will be confused.

The discard pile is usually kept face-up.

And technically, cards in there haven't necessarily been played; cards can also go there if you are forced to lose the card without playing it, e.g. due to a hand limit or some effect that explicitly forces you to discard.

Also, the word "deck" is sometimes used to refer to the stack of cards that you draw from and sometimes used to refer to all the cards collectively, regardless of their current location. If you want to be absolutely clear that you're referring only to the cards still in the original stack, you can call it a "draw pile".

As others have said, the typical thing to do would be to put cards that are used or lost into a discard pile, and then shuffle the discard pile to form a new deck (draw pile) when the original deck runs out. (This is so common that many players will simply assume that's what they should do if your rulebook does not explicitly say otherwise.)

I have seen games where you "discard" cards directly to the bottom of the draw pile, but this is rare. It's usually only done if it's important to conceal the number of cards that have been drawn or discarded (which could otherwise be estimated from the heights of the piles). I know of one case where it was seemingly done just to save table space, but in that case you are unlikely to go through the entire deck in a single game. (Also, the game really has a problem with table space!)

Aeon's End is a notable example for the fact that when your deck runs out, you simply flip your discard pile over without shuffling it, because they specifically want you to go through the cards in a predictable order. So that's an option if you want to specifically avoid randomizing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a single main draw pile or does each player have their own?

How many cards in the draw pile?

There is a higher tolerance for shuffling your own cards, because that can happen on other players' turns. Shuffling a shared deck every few minutes is far less tolerable the bigger the deck is.

Some games have rules for taking cards from a discard pile, which is another way to have increased card circulation.

Sometimes a trigger card is shuffled into the main deck, then when it is drawn it triggers shuffling the discard pile back into the draw pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xing Quach
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone for clarify the word dex = deck, and thank for all the new common terms.

The deck is a one single main deck for everyone, with around 60 card (maybe more in the future).

So as everyone recommend, I have a test run with adding a discard pile and as expect, the game feel a lot more comfort. I think I will in the end go with adding the discard pile. Thank everyone for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ford
United Kingdom
Deal
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you've only heard it said rather than seen it written, dex is probably more from people saying decks than deck, decks being the plural of deck.

I'd strongly suggest you play something like Dominion to learn the mechanics of deck/hand/discard pile/in play area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls