John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm posting this week's thread a bit early since I'll be on the road for a couple days starting tomorrow. Our oldest son is off to college, after taking a year off from school upon graduating high school last fall.

This leads me in a somewhat melancholy direction for this week's question, and I'm going to bring up the subject of goodbyes. I'm anticipating some tears and sniffling when we say our final farewells to our boy. That'll take place sometime on Thursday, I imagine as late as possible in the day after we move him into his dorm room.

To tie this into gaming, I'm wondering what the last game I play with my son will be before we say goodbye. Will it be the Keyforge session we played on Thursday evening this week? We're staying with family on the way down, so perhaps it'll be a game of Point Salad, which I'm planning to bring and introduce to them. Perhaps I'll be able to cajole him into one final Strike match before we part ways? If I had my druthers, we'd get in one more play of our Near & Far campaign, but alas, I fear there won't be room in the car, or time in our busy schedule for that.

How about you, Pegheads? What were some "fond farewell" plays of games for you? Maybe some of you also have nest-emptying tales to relate, or perhaps one last play with a group before a move... let's hear what games you chose to say your goodbyes with, and why.

And you know the drill... what are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Rourke
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As fans of Terry Practhett might say when they experience some tears, your post led to a brief visit from the onion fairy, John. Our daughter goes off to college in 12 days. While she will be off for wonderful opportunities at a fantastic school that will absolutely embrace her, it's a time when emotions are running high for all of us.

What I've told our Grace is that she's free to take any games she wants with her. Her tastes run to card games, word games, and social deduction. So instead of focusing on goodbye games to play before she goes, I'd love her to take any games with her that make her happy and think good thoughts of home. Sharing those with new friends will bring a piece of us along with her.

There are four of us in the family, so any games we play before the move will likely be limited to ones that everyone can stand. That will probably just mean sitting at the table playing 31, Rummy 500, Boggle, and such.

As for what I'm playing this week, there won't be a ton. I'm preparing for a new semester at a new college myself. It's all syllabi, all the time. Played Tiny Towns and Imhotep: The Duel last night. Might do some Kingdomino and Castles of Burgundy online when I need to clear my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Astute Pegheads will know I'm in the U.K. per my recent thread. After two days on my own, following a multi-hour meeting with the Metropolitan Police, I've had the opportunity to wander the streets of London. Now, my daughter is with me and we'll have a chance to do some gaming here before she heads back to college. So John, wrt your questions these responses are two-fers:

Sun: Tonight, We sat at our AirBnB and successfully found the Dark Lady in Black Sonata
Mon: We'll try our hand at the fourth case in Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
Tue: As we'll be in Stratford-upon-Avon, we may try Black Sonata
Wed: Maybe a night off as we're in Liverpool.
Thu: We're meeting my friends Ivy and John who are starting in Ireland and ending their trip London. We'll have dinner with them in Edinburgh and play Tiny Epic Galaxies. We'll also enjoy the Fringe Festival.
Fri-Sun: Off to Dublin for the next few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only "good-bye" game I have played, and I think I've mentioned it before, is when Bill Paxton passed away. We busted out Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game and played the Aliens scenario in honor of him, which we ended up beating. That is not an easy game to beat, and we all felt extra happy that night.

I have not been available on Friday nights for D&D for about five weeks, so I hope to have a game of that, or our surprise game night that sometimes happens. Last week they played Star Wars: Outer Rim without me, and I hope to play this one if we don't do D&D.

Saturday I will be playing a game of Axis & Allies. It's not a game I normally would play, but my dad has a fancy copy, and loves all things WWII. It took me about three months to get the player's schedules to align, so there better not be any last minute cancellations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Got in our first plays of the week last night after we got into town after driving all day for the second day in a row. My friend and former college roommate Brad, who still lives in town, came over to our AirBNB with his wife and we played a couple rounds of Just One.

Then this afternoon, after spending all morning in various stores and shops in town buying dorm room supplies, we came back to the condo and busted out a game of Impulse, playing with the All Your Base expansion for the first time. Neither of us was much impressed with it, I'm afraid... it just adds a lot of what felt to us like unnecessary mental overhead to an already brain-burning game. Nevertheless, it was a close game, but Jonathan made it to 30 points before me.

Then we played a round of Point Salad, which we tied at 34 points each, but Jonathan won because he went last in the turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls