United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmbmb
We're about to get Shadowrun: Crossfire (not Prime) to the table, after hearing good things about it.

Does Arkham Horror: The Card Game fall into this category? I'm 50/50 on this one. On paper I enjoy reading about it haha, but last time I played (solo) I quit halfway because I guess I just wasn't in the mood for the crushing nature of the gameplay.

Multiple folks have mentioned Attack on Titan and that's on my radar as well.

If Mage Knight falls in this category, I'd heartily recommend that as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:

Does Arkham Horror: The Card Game fall into this category? I'm 50/50 on this one. On paper I enjoy reading about it haha, but last time I played (solo) I quit halfway because I guess I just wasn't in the mood for the crushing nature of the gameplay.

I love AHLCG, but it is clearly deck construction, not deck builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myrk2112 wrote:
What

"2032, the year baseball decided to revolutionize the game"

So... Blernsball the board game? Or maybe this is proto-Blernsball
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle is a great place to start especially if you like the theme.

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game is split into the first four films and is another one I think you need to like the theme to get the most out of it

Aeon's End I have never played it just wanted to hang out with the cool kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "TIRED" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle (Expansion makes it even harder)
Legendary Encounters Alien (Expansion makes it way harder)
Shadowrun Crossfire (Expansion makes winning possible)
After The Virus (You will die a lot)

Renegade in a sense but more of a deck remodel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Helionox: Deluxe Edition. Though I have only played it solo, it has quickly become not only one of my favorite deckbuilders, but also one of my favorite games. I have it since January and I am close to 200 games! (Unfortunately it is no longer supported by Mr. B games).

If you liked the GI Joe cartoon from the 80s, I also really like VENOM Assault. It is only cooperative, as all players fight against VENOM (a terrorist organization clearly inspired by COBRA) by fighting different villains on a big world map, with various missions, random events, location specific abilities and dice combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Jenkinson
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
montanus wrote:
+1 for Helionox: Deluxe Edition. Though I have only played it solo, it has quickly become not only one of my favorite deckbuilders, but also one of my favorite games. I have it since January and I am close to 200 games! (Unfortunately it is no longer supported by Mr. B games).

I own this game but haven't given it much of a chance yet other than a learning game many months ago. Do you play it with the expansion materials for your solo games? I really need to bring it back out. My first game was without the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
transcend11 wrote:
montanus wrote:

I own this game but haven't given it much of a chance yet other than a learning game many months ago. Do you play it with the expansion materials for your solo games? I really need to bring it back out. My first game was without the expansion.

I played with the expansion materials right from the start.

While some people prefer the original, I found that the expansion really opens the game by introducing the whole pick up and delivery element. This not only provides you with access to the powerful illegal tech cards and an alternative way to earn and save credits to buy cards from the market, but, in doing so, it also opens the game giving you alternative things to do each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Anathem
msg tools
1a) shadowrun crossfire preferably with high caliber ops. Unique.

1b) aeon’s end - best “pure” deckbuilder

2) after the virus - fun with small footprint.

3) legendary encounters - alien. Great theme but the gameplay is kind of meh.

Overall, pretty big drop off after the first two for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Bear
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Talof Harjo
badge
Talof Harjo
mbmbmbmbmb
maloma wrote:

Shadowrun Crossfire (Expansion makes winning possible).

Does the expansion do that much for the game? Is it really worth getting? I've kind of put this game aside as a "play when you want to be frustrated by difficulty". If the expansion helps I'll get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Anathem
msg tools
crazybear wrote:
maloma wrote:

Shadowrun Crossfire (Expansion makes winning possible).

Does the expansion do that much for the game? Is it really worth getting? I've kind of put this game aside as a "play when you want to be frustrated by difficulty". If the expansion helps I'll get it.

It evens out the difficulty a bit, so it’s a little less swingy. It is still a challenging game, but your win percentage will likely go up to a more rewarding level. It also adds some additional variety to each of the decks.

I enjoyed the base game but feel this is one of the more valuable expansions in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowrun Crossfire
Aeon's End
Renegade
Mage Knight
Helionox
Mistfall: Heart of the Mists (but this one is pretty heavy and odd, so look into it a lot first.)

Do not get a Legendary game. They're boring. Hogwarts is just okay. XenoShyft: Onslaught is not great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmbmb
maloma wrote:

Is this Shadowrun: Crossfire – High Caliber Ops you're talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Pittsley

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a clear right answer for me:

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game

I have several of the games listed and have seen this conversation before and I must admit i don't understand why the Marvel Game shows up on the lists. My guess is that folks like the theme. Personally, the game doesn't feel very coop.

I think the better coop deck builders allow cards to be shared/used by teammates. Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game does this via its "coordinate" cards that, in my opinion, amp up the game.

Xenoshyft (can run a bit long) and After the Virus are my other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Fries
Germany
Windeck
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:
maloma wrote:

Is this Shadowrun: Crossfire – High Caliber Ops you're talking about?

Yepp, he is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if you are into super heroes,

the upcoming marvel champions (but this is deck construction not deck building)

and the new DC deckbuilder rebirth (i havent played it, but i just bought it, and it seems to be cool (one stop coop shop has a playthrough))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is in no specific order:

VENOM Assault
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game with the Dark City expansion
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
So after playing some Legendary,
I really don't like Legendary.
The games are so, so, so random! Wow Not my cup of deckbuilding tea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people love it, and they probably aren't wrong, but they aren't me either. I played the Aliens version a while back, and for such a potentially strong theme it was curiously disconnected: you don't even play one of the characters in the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Many people love it, and they probably aren't wrong, but they aren't me either. I played the Aliens version a while back, and for such a potentially strong theme it was curiously disconnected: you don't even play one of the characters in the story.

That and the fact that there are multiple drones in movies 1 and 2 are a severe thematic disconnection indeed. But I'm more concerned about game design. The characters are disappointingly barely relevant and don't add much to the game, the strikes are waaaay too randomly distributed, and early losses are not very pleasing. We played movie 3 and got overwhelmed by Runners (endurance 4) before cycling through our decks even once, whereas all the cards in HQ were cost 5 to 8. So we couldn't fight and couldn't purchase. Our main healer had a card cost 7 that healed 3 Strikes. She never played it because she discarded it twice in a row to a random event. I had a turn that was no turn, because I was forced to discard my whole hand to a random strike.

Being repeatedly unable to do anything isn't exactly my idea of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin McKinley
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I'm the opposite and have thoroughly enjoyed Legendary Encounters: Alien.

I enjoy building the barracks deck with a variety of Characters in the movies and I like the generic avatars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |