I've been on a two week long vacation, and I've spent a lot of time lifting the Voracious Goddess curse. During this time, I've played the curse two times. The first was Elliot Pendleton's attempt on easy mode. I have reached the Goddess, went for the eyes, and died right after I stepped out of the cave I recovered the first eye from. I used the 777 card, recovered the second eye from the temple, and died again on my way back to the statue (despite the fact that I also dig up and used the treasure in the jungle). With the knowledge I gained during this play, I was eager to start again; which I did, this time with Keelan. In this session report, I wish to share Keelan's story as written by herself.

Ever since we got back from that cursed piece of land newspapers simply refer to as the 7th Continent, these strange feelings I could not really explain were invading my mind. The only thing I knew, they dampened my mood and left me restless for days. I suspected a connection to the things we saw there, but my logical mind tried to convince me otherwise. That is, until I realized several members of the expedition mysteriously disappeared. That's when I knew I would spare no expense, and get back to that island. No matter how much the rational part of mind brain screamed against it...

I am on the ship now, once again leaving the Continent, hoping to never have to put my feet on its shores again. The curse, or whatever it was, seems to be lifted; my mind is free of twisted thoughts once again. I feel liberated, so I guess this little expedition was worth it, after all. But I am writing these lines gingerly, and I am not sure I will ever let anyone peek inside this notebook. Some of the things that happened in the past few days... they may seem as products of a feeble mind, but even the ship's doctor tells me I am in full possession of my faculties.

As I've said, I was planning to get back on the Continent, but to be completely honest, I didn't even remember how I got there when I did. The memories came back much later, but I am still not sure if those really are memories, not just parts of a dream. Anyway, the following are the recollections of the events that (may or may not) occurred during the last few weeks.

The first day or too was fairly uneventful despite the minor setback right at the beginning. The damned captain of that damned ship was babbling on and on about monsters and curses and whatnot as we were getting near the mainland. He was vehemently disinclined to drop the anchor near the shore, but of course I wasn't going to turn around and just go home. Especially since we had an agreement about me being transported to the Continent, gorramit. One word led to another, and eventually I was dropped off on what later turned out to be a very small island. I was definitely not in the mood of swimming miles and miles, so started looking for something I could make some kind of raft of. As it turned out, I didn't need my raft-crafting abilities after all: a completely fine submarine(!) with complete repair and operating manual(!!) was docked on the western shores! I just needed to replace two gears I found while exploring the island to get it fully working. Easy peasy. I didn't read much into this at the time (I was just glad I found an easy way out), but in retrospect this almost seems like some kind of divine intervention, if you believe in such things...

Anyway, I managed to navigate to the southern shores of the mainland, and from that point on, I could follow the map I had amongst the many notes I gathered during the previous expedition. But it was not just the map that was helping me. I can't fully explain it, but I had these vague... feelings, dreams, or memories even... memories... from a previous life perhaps?? I know this sounds crazy from the comfort of your cushy chair, but I am the one who have been to the Continent, not you. Well, probably not you. But I digress. These... memories... were telling me that I needed to bring two purple gems to the statue of the Voracious Goddess located on the western parts of the continent. I even had some idea about the location of these gems! I knew I will find the first in an underground temple in the jungle located at the center of the Continent, and the second one in an ice cave up north. I had no reason to doubt these memories, so my path was set.

This path led me from the shore through an evergreen forest with occasional rock formations and patches of snow. As you may know, I have studied plants all my life, and have an extensive knowledge on every species known to mankind - how they look like, where do they live, what they are good for, etc. Despite my vast knowledge, I have found several species with strange and unexpected effects that were still unknown to me. A lot of them even proved useful, if not essential for my survival! Speaking of survival: there are plenty of water sources on the Continent, but as I learned, food can be scarce, and getting it may prove dangerous without proper equipment. But sometimes you find something unexpected, as I did while I was fishing in a swamp on the western edge of the forest, and managed to pull out a bottle of whiskey from the water. Now, I am more of a rum person, but I wasn't going to complain, was I? Didn't have anybody to complain to, anyways.

To continue the list of unexpected findings: During one of my hunts, I came across this goat that was seemingly not afraid of me, and acted rather curiously. This made me curious too, and also made me not want to kill her. Long story short, little Brumpy - yes, I named her that, it just popped into my mind - is eating her grass right now in her makeshift cage down in the cargo area. She's also making all the sailors angry when she gets out of her cage, and bumps her head into EVERYTHING. She can be rather funny, I hope she will like my garden back home.

At the north edge of the forest, I found the strange mound and the stone statue drawn on my map, which ensured me that I'm on the right track. The only problem was that I had to continue north, but the path ended in a 30 meters high rock wall looming over the forest. Luckily, my rope was still in good enough condition to trust my life on it - so I started climbing. At the top, I could hear the music of the cicadas, and felt the moist air of the jungle. To celebrate my achievement, I sat down in the grass, and slowly drank the whole bottle of that whiskey I found. The underground temple was just a few hours walk eastward from the funny rock formations that look like umbrellas for the giants that roamed the land during the stone age... or giant mushrooms, if you have a bit less wild imagination.

I was exhausted at that point, so I decided to look around for a hunting spot before I enter the temple. I started walking north, but soon the jungle seemed to close in front of me, and every step would have taken as much energy out of me as walking for a day on normal terrain. So I decided to go around that dense patch of forest by turning west, and than soon north. But not before a long-time dream of mine became reality! I found a new flesh-eating plant species that has remarkable resemblance to the Venus fly trap; it's just considerably larger. As the discoverer of a formerly unknown species, I could finally properly commemorate my late ... khm ... "dearly beloved" husband by giving the plant the botanical name Dionaea mckenziensis.

One particular area to the north of the giant umbrellas felt familiar, even though I was pretty sure I have never been there before. After a while it popped into my mind that I've seen a drawing of that place amongst my notes. I stopped to browse through them, and there was it, a treasure map! Normally, I wouldn't pay much attention to nonsense that belongs to children's stories, but I've seen enough of the Continent not to ignore it. So I started digging, which was really exhausting in that heat and moist, but as it turned out, it was worth it. I found a golden statue that was surrounded by a strange, shall we say magical aura. I know how this sounds, but as you will soon see, it really was magical.

My search for a hunting place continued northwards, and I soon found a stone path crossing from the east, and leading to a bridge over a precipice on the west. Luckily, I also found a pond under a big tree that seemed like a watering hole, thus ideal for hunting. Half a day later, I was able to continue with a full stomach, and renewed energy.

So, the temple. Not gonna lie, it almost killed me, but in some way - that will be apparent later - it also saved my life. Getting into the temple was a bit of a brain-burner - I was obviously missing some flower-shaped stone piece, but my above average knowledge of puzzles helped me open the door. I was immediately hit by a pungent smell, and every inch of my body wanted to stay outside. But I knew I had to get that gem, so I went on. There was a carved fish head on the wall at the end of the stairs, which had a rope with a ring hanging out of it's mouth. Presumably it operated some mechanism, but I wasn't going to pull it - at least not until I had done some research.

Shortly after, I found myself in a room full with mushrooms - caution, or rather fear, overwhelmed my scientific curiosity, and I stayed away from them. I continued to a room full of cages, where my attempt to rescue some small slug-like animal ended catastrophically. I am not proud to admit, but I squished the poor thing while disassembling the cage. It got it's revenge though: the odour that came out of it was unbearable. Have you ever smelled something that bad, that your mind just blanked? I knew I had some roughly formed plans for useful tools and such in my head, but I could not recall ANY of them! Maybe I shouldn't have done anything possibly dangerous while being tired, drunk from the whiskey, and shivering from the poison. Oh, did I mention the snake? No, I didn't, I forgot. The damned thing bit me back at the mound near the statue. And you know, what's crazy? I was in a jungle with thousands of exotic plants, and I was not able to find ONE that would have helped with that.

To continue my path, I would have had to balance on a narrow pathway of sketchy looking rocks, so I decided to turn back, and see what's east of those mushrooms. A room with a snake painted on the floor. Amazing, I've had so much fun with snakes already at that point! The sounds, the entire acoustic of the room was strange too, but I was not sure if it was just some hallucination from the alcohol and snake poison, or if it was real. I am in no way an expert in physics, but after looking around a bit, I concluded that the room is probably deliberately shaped to have these acoustics. This woke up the musician in me, - which I did not know existed! - and started humming the notes from some parchments I found along the way. The songs came out nicely, even though I have never had any talent for music. This continent does strange things to people. To my surprise, one of the songs made a beautiful red snake appear. It frightened me at first (You can't blame me, after all I was still struggling with the consequences of my previous snake encounter.), but since it did not appear to be aggressive, I calmed down quickly. The snake followed me around after that, so little Brumpy got a new buddy. I did not name it though, and later decided it would probably be best for it to remain on the Continent.

That whole musical session calmed me a bit, and I was ready to continue my adventure. A portcullis blocked the way to the west, but I could open it using the rope I still had. There was a quiet little room on the other side, where I could take a much needed rest, reflect on my experiences on the Continent, and contemplate the future. While I was poking in the rubble around me, I found what appeared to be pieces of a medal depicting a flower. Finding all the pieces, and putting them together was a relaxing, and - as I later found out - very worthwhile task. Being on the Continent long enough, I wasn't even taken aback by the fact that when the pieces formed the whole, and were close enough to each other, they just sort of snapped together. After that, the medal looked like as if it were never broken; without any sap, or glue.

I spent a few hours in that room, and than continued north. At one point, I attempted to cross a long tunnel, but almost as soon as I stepped inside, the whole thing started to rumble, rocks as big as my head started falling down, and soon the tunnel collapsed. I barely made out alive, but this served as a wakeup call to remind me that despite the calmness of the last few hours, I was still on the Continent where danger lurked in every corner. I had no other choice but to make it back to the narrow corridor near the cages, and attempt to cross it. I could still feel the odour of the slug in the room, although luckily it was much milder, and didn't cause any negative effects.

With a considerable amount of luck, I managed to get on the other side, and found myself in a room adjacent to the tunnel I destroyed. A heavy grate covering a deep hole occupied the center of the room, and there was nothing else there. I'm still shivering when I think about what otherworldly creature that grate might have held in that hole. A room with wooden gears was on the right. I suspected that they are somehow connected to the fish head mechanism at the entrance. I wasn't going to risk that tinkering with them might open the grate, so I did not even enter the room. Instead, I went north, where a room was illuminated by yellow and blue crystals on the floor. A heavy door with two chains - one with a sun, and one with an ice crystal symbol - blocked my path, and there were some scribble on the wall near an ancient writing:

"Where the sun competes with frost,
but the victor you should trust."

As much as I like deciphering lost languages, I was thankful to whoever wrote the translation on the wall. After all, I wanted to leave that godforsaken temple as soon as I could. I still had to figure out what that scribble really meant though. It was elementary that the yellow and blue crystals represented the sun and the frost, but how was I to decide who the winner was? I tried to find further clues that could help me deduce the rules of the game, but came up empty-handed. Finally I came to the conclusion that probably the most simple answer would be the right one, since this riddle was most probably made by a primitive culture. So I pulled the ice chain, simply because there were more blue crystals than yellow. The door opened, and I found myself in a chamber with an altar of some sorts. Surrounded with two huge ice crystals, the altar held an ivory chest. A chest that was locked, of course. Back in the days I've learned some lock picking, so I managed to get it open using bits and pieces I found in the temple. I have probably triggered a trap mechanism though, because as soon as I opened the lid, a white powder blew in my face. The powder made dizzy, and I broke a few of my tools as a result, but I finally got the first gem! I still had a lot to do though, and I was pretty exhausted. While I was putting the gem away, I felt a warm, pulsating radiation from the golden idol I unearthed. The moment I grabbed it, the idol started to release a yellowish smoke that was slowly embracing me. I immediately felt a warmth, and all my energy was returning to me, as if I had just started my journey. The idol disappeared in the process, and I was hoping I would never again need such miracle. I won't detail my way back to the entrance; let it be enough that I finally got out of the temple. It was nice to feel the warm touch of sunshine on my face once again.

I decided to check out that stone bridge I found earlier. The bridge was... how shall I say this? ... not in the very best condition, and a river was rushing below. Despite still feeling the effects of that whiskey - seriously, how long can one remain drunk from just one bottle?? -, I was able to cross without even getting wet.

The bridge led me to a place much different than the jungle I came from. It was still hot, but the moist and the lush flora was replaced by an arid limestone desert. I knew the second gem is somewhere north, so that's where I went. The terrain was very rough, and at some point I had to take a break to hide from the sun in the shadows of those huge stone chimneys that were to be found all along my way. One of them even had a window or door carved into it up high, but I did not want to waste energy to explore it. The path slowly turned eastward, without the possibility to continue north. When I reached the same precipice with the rushing river I crossed not so long ago, the only thing I could think of is not something I would put on paper. Let's just say, I was fairly angry with myself for the decision to cross the bridge. Why couldn't I just look around in the jungle to see if I could continue my way up north? That probably would have saved me some time. But there was nothing to do about it at that point.

The bridge was bad enough, but this time I had to cross on a fallen tree. The cliffs here were much lower, so much so that I could feel the cold spray of the angry river. I was considering stopping for a while to catch some fish and finally wash all that blood out of my clothes, but decided against it. On the other side a limestone maze suddenly led me to a snowy terrain that was very difficult to travel, even with my makeshift snowshoes. Walking there took a lot of energy out of me, but I soon found the tunnel I've seen in my visions. Of course it was not that easy, I had to dig myself in. I started to regret not stopping to fish. It is probably because of my exhaustion that I don't remember much of what happened in the tunnel. I vaguely remember making a fire, the delicious smell of goat milk, and a huge chunk of ice that held the second gem. I also knew I was living on borrowed time, which was especially disheartening, since I already got the second gem.

I found the entrance of the cave, and crawled outside to go back to desert, where I knew the statue of the Goddess was. My snowshoes were gone, I was freezing, and I honestly have no idea what luck led me to the river in one piece. I knew I wouldn't make it if I could not get my hands on some food, so attempting to fish from the fallen tree over the river seemed a lot less crazy idea than before. But not for long. A huge bear apparently did not like the competition - or just wanted something else than fish -, and attacked me. I had some good gear I could use to fight, but I acted purely on instinct, and was probably driven solely by adrenaline. Despite all this, almost miraculously, the only blood on my clothes was the bear's, when the fight was over. I have never before eaten a bear, nor did I plan to, but oh dear god, that roasted meat was delicious even without spices or salt. I washed it down with some goat milk, and went back to finally catch my fishes.

With my renewed energy my optimism also came back, and I started my way back through the desert cheerily. My relatively cheerful mood quickly got dampened though. Remember how ridiculous you thought the description "umbrellas for giants"? Well, how about a giant - and I mean giant as in the size of three elephants - armadillo? Yes, no need to read again, you read it right the first time. The damned thing decided to camp right in the middle of the only path that would have led me to the statue. It was not pursuing me, but it was also clear that it will not let me through without a fight. I had no choice but to attack. All my weapons proved ineffective against the beast, everything just bounced off of it's armored skin. I was quite sure I was living my last moments, and I would be trampled to death within minutes, if not seconds. And then something most remarkable happened. I'm sure you are familiar with the story of David and Goliath; well, my stone was that little flower medal I repaired back in the underground temple. I felt it getting hotter and hotter during the fight, and when I could no longer ignore the burning sensation, I ripped it off my neck. The moment the giant beast saw the medal dangling from my hand, it stopped as if hypnotized. This continued for a moment or two, than it suddenly gave out an otherworldly roar that turned into a shriek, and collapsed, just as the medal turned to dust. I told you at the beginning: strange things are happening on the Continent.

According to my map, I was real close to my destination, so continued my way through the desert. I found myself in some sort of city that was cut into the stone cliffs. It was abandoned, but somebody definitely lived there not too long ago, since I found a living dog in one of the crevices, with an iron cross collar. I was not able to expand my personal zoo, perhaps because I called him "good dog" instead of "guter Hund". He did not attack me though, but left the place as soon as I went inside, so I could take a much needed rest there. I went on in the morning.

During the whole expedition I wanted to leave the Continent as soon as I could, but when I finally caught a glimpse on the huge statue from my visions (dreams? memories?), my curiosity overwhelmed my desire to leave. I felt energized, and decided to check out the tower with the door or window I saw earlier. For my disappointment, there were no hidden treasures there. The view worth it though, and I also found a shortcut that made my trek back to the statue much easier. I was still in an adventurous mood, so went a bit further south, where I found a dried out well. In retrospect, it was probably foolish to do so, but I climbed down to see what's in there. Luckily, nothing bad happened, and I even found a souvenir: a flower carved from stone! This reminded me of the temple gate; did I found the key perhaps? My foolishness apparently had some limits, and I did not go back to the temple to test this theory. I took a look around in the neighbourhood though, but decided it was time to finish my quest when I stumbled upon a swamp full with half-rotten carcasses. Ew.

When I arrived to the statue, I knew what I had to do. Immediately after replacing it's eyes (the gems), I felt the Voracious Goddess was satisfied, and the dark clouds that dampened my mood for weeks were suddenly lifted. On my way to the shore, I could only hope that no other gods decided to hire me as their personal surgeon without my knowledge.

Wow, this got long. Originally I wanted to write only the parts after the temple, because they were intense, but writing half a story felt wrong. So there, you have it, a huge wall of text. I hope at least some of you enjoyed it Some remarks regarding the game itself:

- Reading the rules, I completely missed the part that not only terrain cards, but also permanent events can have hidden numbers. I have accidentally read a spoiler that also revealed this fact to me. I think this is something that should have a place amongst the easily missed rules. Or am I the only one not remembering this?

- I think the flavour text on the terrain card that has the sun vs. frost battle is a bit misleading. It says, "You wonder if their arrangement is arbitrary or intentional." The arrangement part led me to think the position of the crystals matter, and I wasted a lot of time trying to find a pattern before applying Occam's Razor.

That said, I really love the game, it gives me the same kind of excitement the old school point&click adventures do.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tritze
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sghctoma wrote:

- Reading the rules, I completely missed the part that not only terrain cards, but also permanent events can have hidden numbers. I have accidentally read a spoiler that also revealed this fact to me. I think this is something that should have a place amongst the easily missed rules. Or am I the only one not remembering this?

I didn't read the journal because I haven't finished the Curse yet. Currently...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I found an eye in the temple last night.

So I didn't know this part either! Although now you mention it...

I accessed the temple using the flower item I found in the dwell by the Voracious Goddess statue

but I have not been paying attention to other hidden numbers that Permanent cards may have.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tritze wrote:

What the?!

You are not the only one who missed this! We’re 4 curses in, and I guess I need to re-read the rulebook now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the rules only specify terrain and permanent events, I‘ve found them also on other places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tritze wrote:

So I didn't know this part either! Although now you mention it...

I accessed the temple using the flower item I found in the dwell by the Voracious Goddess statue

Yep, I have also ...

... found event cards that will give you a number if you complete some task ...

... but did not occur to me to check for those small numbers too

Good luck on the remaining part of your journey!

Basiliv wrote:

You are not the only one who missed this! We’re 4 curses in, and I guess I need to re-read the rulebook now...

I also read through the rulebook again looking for other things I may have missed, but luckily couldn't find anything

Jack Spirio wrote:

Although the rules only specify terrain and permanent events, I‘ve found them also on other places.

Good to know, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls