Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Passage Through Mirkwood never gets boring, and after playing it 15 times over the years (without yet adding the Nightmare deck), it’s still fun and still tells new stories every time.

Sometimes Chief Ufthak comes out; Sometimes it’s about Ungoliant and her spawn; sometimes those damn Hummerhorns strike at just the wrong time; and sometimes the Dol Guldur orcs savage your people in the quest. But they always combine in different, unexpected ways.

Also, as you change up your heroes, you get a new vibe from this quest each time. Why did Galadriel call Theoden and Bard and Beregond together? Why Arwen, Eowyn, and Caldara? How do their various allies enter into this?

I just can’t get enough.

Every story is new and awesome, and I wish every game had this perfect balance of challenge and theme and creative meta. This is why Arkham is so beautiful (and why I look forward to Marvel Champions also.) As much as people inveigh against FFG, they certainly know how to make an LCG and how to keep it extremely replay-able.

2. Never mess around lightly with a Palantir.

I recently changed one of my two decks that I’ve successfully taken through dozens of scenarios. The only change was to add 3 Palantirs.

Of course, a Palantir then showed up in Round 1 of Passage Through Mirkwood. Arwen used it one time, and my whole game fell apart from there. My threat went waaay up. I ended up being engaged by everything that crawled into the staging area. I fell behind in questing in Round 1 without Arwen, and it snowballed from there.

I did recover, but, wow - it got unexpectedly nasty for a so-called Introductory scenario that I’ve beaten many times. And this all happened simply because I added 1 card to my deck.

3. A Test of Will might be the best card in the game. Straight up cancels the nastiest effects that the game has to offer for 1 resource.

4. Build a hero deck for the story and not for the mechanical power.

While it is certainly possible to build super-decks, you win nothing for doing so. The joy in this game is found in the challenge that you overcome. The theme shines through as you lose and gain hope throughout a scenario. The game was designed so that, just as things look most dire, you come up with a perfect idea or draw an unexpected combo. But the feeling of victory comes from challenging yourself in the game and not from building a super-deck that plows through everything.

5. I don’t want to see this game end. I know it’s nearing the end of it’s life-cycle, but, to me, it’s still a great lifestyle game that never wears out its welcome. Very few games can pull that off. Most flavors-of-the-month fall out of favor within a short period of time. But not this one. It gets better with time. I’ll buy it for as long as it’s produced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
True every word 😊
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who bought the first two cycles, the Fellowship of the Rings saga boxes, and the two Hobbit boxes, for some reason Passage Through Mirkwood is the only quest I really play. Probably because so much time passes between games that I forget what I'm doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark vera
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
All good things must come to an end my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Martin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chumbathewumba wrote:
All good things must come to an end my friend.
Thanks, sunshine.

I prefer to think that all things come to an Ent. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome post and I totally agree! May I also add to point 3 that this is why Eleanor is my LOTR wife and is darn well near stapled to any group I assemble. She is just so darn useful and has saved me, my actual wife, and our gaming group more times than any other hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post!

I do not believe, that this [the current cycle] will be the last we see from this game. They called it a break, and I am inclined to believe them, that they are working on more in the future. Likely, having the creative talents busy with the Marvel Champions launch and expansion development, they might not have the capacity for all of these games at the same time.

Also, I think they are thinking about making it more friendly for new players, which is one thing this game really is not. Maybe they will change expansions to work like the Marvel Champions game will get them, seperating scenario and player card expansions, and making playable decks available to buy. That would be a huge step forward for this game, allowing many players to enjoy it without the need for extensive deck building (which is awesome, if you like it, but a great burden and hindrance, if you do not).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee,

I agree with every word you said.

I already have enough deck-construction content for this game to last a lifetime. Time for FFG to start a more newbie-friendly run.

I for one look forward to seeing the new ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Howard
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent post.
I agree 100%. I have recently been on a tear buying new stuff for this game as the future is a bit uncertain and it’s already hard to get some of the packs consistently.

I test all my new decks on this quest and always find it fun. This game means a lot to me and it’s one of the ways I spend time with my son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls