Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
53 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: Roll Player September 2019 challenges: Rogue's Son: A Roll Player Story rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott C
United States
East Walpole
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of extra setup changes/rules changes you need to follow in this month's challenges - something extra both for Base game and Monsters & Minions challenge players. I will be especially interested to see how you choose to play the Rogue (who has a pretty powerful ability out of the box) in light of the bonus and penalty provided.

Please read the rules carefully and tell us how you like these tweaks as a change of pace or added challenge.

Art credit: https://i.imgur.com/DnYqs7x.png via https://www.pinterest.cl/imasecretwizard/good-female-pc-art/

The Protector is missing.

Petrified and spirited away from the battle in the City of Clouds, he was not found among the remnants of the climactic battle with the Vampire lord. The council has gathered a group of adventurers to begin the search for him.

This would not normally have been of much interest to you. As a rogue of unmatched skill, you have found it much easier for you than for anyone else you have met to acquire new skills. It's been so easy so as to be practically unsatisfying to learn new skills, in fact. Instead, for years your only concern has been where to find your next mark and how to stay ahead of the authorities. But recently, you had a son, and even more recently, he fell ill. For dwarves, who live long but who have few children, this was devastating and led
you to a seer, who told you your son's fate is tied to the Protector's.

And so you joined a ragtag group of adventures of all races and classes, attending an address by the kingdom's top admiral.

"We believe the monsters are organizing again. And the Protector's location will be revealed only by defeating them and finding the key pieces of a map, which we believe will provide directions to the Temple of the Star of Death. Those pieces are likely to be found on the reverse sides of two key scrolls."

"But, we also believe - it's a trap! The monsters are trying to divide our forces. Our information tells us you will be looking for an immense troll - seek it in an abandoned mineshaft, watch out for its generation of illusions, and avoid its large club..."

The admiral continued to drone on about organizing search parties into squadrons, marking them with colors like Red and Gold and Blue. You quickly found this time spent on organization boring, and noticed a figure in the rear, heavily armed and armored for battle, with its face an impassive mask.

You asked the adventurer next to you who this masked figure was.

"That's not a mask! Its the face of a magical construct. They call the construct 'the monster bounty hunter' on account of the success its had seeking out and destroying beasts."

The bounty hunter radiated competence and menace, yet the enigma it exhibited meant you could not help but to be drawn to it. You approached it.

"This group will take forever to get ready to search. You seem to know what you are about, " you said to the construct. "Would you like to get a head start on the hunt?"

The bounty hunter nodded once, gathered up an extra weapon or two, and headed for the exit.

Somehow you were not surprised the construct crusader had little to say. You could already tell that between the two of you, you would be able to easily find the map and vanquish the Troll. Hopefully this would lead to a cure for your son as well.

Monsters & Minions Rogue Challenge:
Roll a Devoted Eccentric Rogue Dwarf with the necessary skills needed to defeat the troll and find the map.

Game: Roll Player with Monsters & Minions expansion

Challenge Start: Now
Challenge End: September 30th

Rules:

Standard Monsters & Minions solo rules apply.

Except where indicated below, use rules on page 9-10 of the expansion rule book - do not use any of the variants described on the top of page 9.

Note: when preparing the Market deck you may look at the discarded cards (which then become the discard pile).

Variant rules for this challenge:

At start of game: Use the following Adventure cards: Abandoned Mine, Illusion, Club Swing. Even though they are already revealed, you still must claim the Location, Obstacle and Attack adventure cards in order to get their benefit (through defeating minions or the Gather Power scroll).

When purchasing a skill card: Pay one less gold than the nominal price.

At end of game: Get -1 reputation per skill card you own. (Note that you cannot discard skill cards once purchased). Also, you cannot be victorious and score your result unless you have at least 2 scroll cards.

You must also defeat the monster (earn at least 1 star on your final combat dice against the monster) to score your result at all.

You can try more than once - I will update the leaderboard to include your highest result. Keep trying!

Quote:
A note on playing with the Roll Player Lockup Pack:

Using the pack is optional for all challenges.

The pack adds 2 new market cards (one 1-dot and one 2-dot). To keep the ratios the same, I generally discard 17 from each set of cards at startup, instead of 16.
The pack adds 4 new minions (two 1-dot and two 2-dot). To keep the number of 1-dot minions the same as before, I generally return 9 of the 16 to the box, and keep all of the 2-dot cards underneath.

Must play:
Race: Dwarf
Class: Rogue
Backstory: Devoted
Alignment: Eccentric
Monster: Troll

Record your play using the following fields:

Challenge: M&M Rogue
BGG Name:
Total Reputation Score:
Ending Gold:
Number of Black Dice on your character sheet:
Number of dice matching your backstory:

Tie breaks:

1. Ending gold.
2. Number of Black dice/class color (lower is better according to rules).
3. The number of dice you have matching your backstory card.

Base Game Rogue Challenge:
Roll a Devoted Eccentric Rogue Dwarf with the necessary skills needed to maximize their reputation.

Game: Roll Player base game

Rules:

Standard base game solo rules apply, with exceptions noted below.

Do not use any of the variants described on the top of page 14.

Do not use any Monsters & Minions content in this challenge.

Note: when preparing the Market deck you may look at the discarded cards (which then become the discard pile).

When purchasing a skill card: Pay one less gold than the nominal price.

At end of game: Get -1 reputation per skill card you own. (Note that you cannot discard skill cards once purchased).

You can try more than once - I will update the leaderboard to include your highest result. Keep trying!

Quote:

The pack adds one new card suitable for the base game (Ancestral Blade). I'd recommend still discarding 7 cards from the 1-dot and 2-dot decks at the start.

Must play:
Race: Dwarf
Class: Rogue
Backstory: Devoted
Alignment: Eccentric

Challenge: Base
BGG Name:
Total Reputation Score:
Ending Gold:
Number of Black Dice on your character sheet:

Tie breaks:

1. Ending gold.
2. Number of Black dice/class color (lower is better according to rules).

Monsters & Minions Crusader Challenge:
Roll an Outcast Enigma Construct Crusader who can leverage extraordinary monster hunting ability to defeat the Troll and find the map.

Game: Roll Player with Monsters & Minions expansion

Rules:

Standard Monsters & Minions solo rules apply.

Except where indicated below, use rules on page 9-10 of the expansion rule book - do not use any of the variants described on the top of page 9.

At start of game: Use the following Adventure cards: Abandoned Mine, Illusion, Club Swing. Even though they are already revealed, you still must claim the Location, Obstacle and Attack adventure cards in order to get their benefit (through defeating minions or the Gather Power scroll).

When receiving an honor token: Receive 2 bonus honor tokens, instead of the usual crusader +1. (For minions whose reward gives 2 honor tokens, you get 2 + 4 bonus tokens).

At end of game: You cannot be victorious and score your result unless you have at least 2 scroll cards.

You must also defeat the monster (earn at least 1 star on your final combat dice against the monster) to score your result at all.

Quote:

The pack adds 2 new market cards (one 1-dot and one 2-dot). To keep the ratios the same, I generally discard 17 from each set of cards at startup, instead of 16.
The pack adds 4 new minions (two 1-dot and two 2-dot). To keep the number of 1-dot minions the same as before, I generally return 9 of the 16 to the box, and keep all of the 2-dot cards underneath.

Must play:
Race: Construct
Class: Crusader
Backstory: Outcast
Alignment: Enigma
Monster: Troll

Challenge: M&M Crusader
BGG Name:
Total Reputation Score:
Ending Gold:
Number of White Dice on your character sheet:

Tie breaks:

1. Ending gold.
2. Number of White dice/class color (lower is better according to rules).

Rewards:

The reward for the high scorers in the each of the three challenges this month will be 30GG each.

In addition, from game designer

Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

the Roll Player Lockup pack

https://thunderworksgames.bigcartel.com/product/pre-order-ro...

will be awarded randomly to a participant. (One entry per person so long as you post a result for any of the 3 challenges).
The winners for each challenge receive one extra entry into the random draw. If you don't wish to be included in the prize draw for any reason, please note that with your submission.

Once again a huge thank you to Keith for the prize support for these challenges!

Leaderboards

Base game

schmittrs: 39
Kristensen: 38
Peroxide Hawk: 37
Fran BS: 36
bavarred: 34
chronodragon: 34
ArianneH: 33
zajobr: 33
barteus: 32
JerryB486: 32
Windshield: 27

Monsters & Minions Rogue

dmonray: 43
^Zoinks: 42
Falzir: 41
Peroxide Hawk: 39
kldonnelly: 39
djott70: 38
ArianneH: 36
permagoof: 35
zajobr: 34
bartispsycho: 34
Ovidutz: 33
zajobr: 25

Monsters & Minions Crusader

dmonray: 43
Falzir: 41
^Zoinks: 37
djott70: 35
Caol Ila: 30
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart L
Belgium
flag msg tools
BGG Name: bartispsycho
Total Reputation Score: 34
Ending Gold: 11
Number of Black Dice on your character sheet: 3
Number of dice matching your backstory: 6

A real challenge! I had bad luck with minion rolls, that's why I didn't get all the adventures.
Only in the very last round I could obtain my second scroll card, otherwise the game was lost!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia G
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

BGG Name: Windshield
Total Reputation Score: 27
Ending Gold: 8
Number of Black Dice on your character sheet: 1

I thought it worked out a little bit better this time. Still scored only 27 points. Next time will be better .

Thank you very much for the challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whisky Fan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Name: Caol Ila
Total Reputation Score: 30
Ending Gold: 14
Number of White Dice on your character sheet: 2

Thanks for the new challenge, and great idea that you need 2 scrolls in order to be even able to fight the Troll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek O
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avoided skill cards, bought Fearless for the first time ever, and the Halberd came in real handy for combat die.

Realized I have been ignoring a couple of rules that may have benefitted me with past scoring: 1) spending 5 XP for an attribute action, and 2) spending 3 gold to flip a minion card.

I must have discarded all armor cards during setup as I only flipped 3 or 4 during the whole game.

Rerolled three sixes with the Troll effect, but worked out with the number of die I was able to roll.

BGG Name: djott70
Total Reputation Score: 38
Ending Gold: 9
Number of Black Dice on your character sheet: 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose avoiding skill cards is the wrong way to go, for both the rogues ability and the discount for skill cards cry for buying and using them.
So the key is the Cunning trait (Gain 1 reputation for each skill card you have) to get rid of the negative points in the end.

BGG Name: bavarred
Total Reputation Score: 34

Getting the "Focused" trait in combination with the skills to change dice values is also very helpful (bought it in the last round and had "Pickpocket" available), but I had to correct the final reputation score by 3 points because I suppose you can´t use the "Intimidate" skill in the Market phase (although it says "after selecting" and the market phase is "after" the Dice phase ), so most likely I wasnt allowed to use it to realign my alignment after buying this trait.

Either way: Thanks again for these cool challenges!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Arnold
msg tools
mb

BGG Name: JerryB486
Total Reputation Score: 16
Ending Gold: 10

Ough. Personal worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Arnold
msg tools
mb

Total Reputation Score: 32
Ending Gold: 3

This month is challenging. At least better than the one before. Thank you for hosting the competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rj Susara
msg tools
BGG Name: dmonray
Total Reputation Score: 43
Ending Gold: 2
Number of Black Dice on your character sheet: 6

Skills I got more than paid off for themselves in class colored die and helped in getting 3 green dice on my DEX

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Besancon
United States
WOOSTER
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! The Rogue challenge was TOUGH! I ended up with a very bad score of 25 points! I beat the Troll with the highest score but it didn't really help too much! I enjoyed it of course but it was rough.

BGG Name: zajobr
Total Reputation Score: 25
Ending Gold: 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is my first time playing the BGG Roll Player monthly challenge!
Great fun, and think I did pretty well!

BGG Name: Peroxide Hawk
Total Reputation Score: 36
Ending Gold: 0
Number of Black Dice on your character sheet: 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rj Susara
msg tools
Got Reckless early and planned on tanking INT/WIS but rolled high. Used 10 xp for double DEX action to fix backstory and CON/CHA requirement.

BGG Name: dmonray
Total Reputation Score: 43
Number of White Dice on your character sheet:6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
See the Legendary General Forum for Back to Basics League information -- Dark City and Base Set only
badge
Join the Dark City and Base Set only monthly league -- See Legendary general forum for information
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried avoiding skills cards and that made it really tough. Also didn’t get the colors I needed. Tough challenge. Will try again because I know I can improve this score.

BGG Name: ArianneH
Total Reputation Score: 30
Number of dice matching your backstory: 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
East Walpole
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Name: Zoinks
Total Reputation Score: 44
Number of Black Dice on your character sheet: 2
Number of dice matching your backstory: 5

Turn 1: Disguise comes up. Well, that's an easy choice for the Rogue.

I bought Weak and swapped it for:
* Confident
* Humble
* Fearless
(rebuying Weak each time, great that it wanted to send alignment to the right)

I also bought Courageous and swapped it for:
* Honorable

I was collecting arbitrary valued Green dice for Dexterity with the idea to find Levitate, the second scroll was a bit late in the game. Too bad about not taking a red die; I had a large amount of XP I could have used to move dice about. I certainly didn't need it all for the monster fight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Arnold
msg tools
mb
Different approach but with almost the same result. But a lovely and hilarious character in the end and that is aß rewarding as a high score.

Total Reputation Score: 31
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
East Walpole
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bavarred wrote:
I suppose avoiding skill cards is the wrong way to go, for both the rogues ability and the discount for skill cards cry for buying and using them.
So the key is the Cunning trait (Gain 1 reputation for each skill card you have) to get rid of the negative points in the end.

I think this is a fine strategy if the skills you choose can help you gain significant points elsewhere.

Bavarred wrote:

... but I had to correct the final reputation score by 3 points because I suppose you can´t use the "Intimidate" skill in the Market phase (although it says "after selecting" and the market phase is "after" the Dice phase ), so most likely I wasnt allowed to use it to realign my alignment after buying this trait.

You can do it after you select a die and before you buy a Market card. Even though the dice phase is technically over once you select a die since there is no one else.

But you are right, you can't use that skill at other times (including after purchasing a card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Besancon
United States
WOOSTER
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This went better than the Rogue M&M for me!

BGG Name: zajobr
Total Reputation Score: 33
Ending Gold: 5
Number of White Dice on your character sheet: 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
See the Legendary General Forum for Back to Basics League information -- Dark City and Base Set only
badge
Join the Dark City and Base Set only monthly league -- See Legendary general forum for information
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes hoarding gold pays off. Picked up Greedy as my first ** card and just kept all my $ under my mattress. Avoided skill cards like the plague!

BGG Name: ArianneH
Total Reputation Score: 33
Ending Gold: 20
Number of dice matching back story: 6

Onto The MM Challenge because I don’t think I can beat this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Bernal
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Name: Fran BS

Hard to get higher score in this try. A different and funny challenge this month! Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Fournier
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Beer Card!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Name: Falzir
Total Reputation Score: 41
Ending Gold: 2

I got Cunning fairly early so I didn't have to worry about the number of skill cards. Pickpocket and the Heavy Crossbow gave me a decent amount of money, allowing me to buy 3 pieces of armor and Fearless. Knowing the monster cards in advance made it pretty easy to get 8 points.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Fournier
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Beer Card!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Name: Falzir
Total Reputation Score: 41
Ending Gold: 1
Number of White Dice on your character sheet: 5
Number of dice matching your backstory: 3 cry

Very different game from the other M&M challenge, but the exact same score! Got the 2 scrolls at the beginning, collecting some gold with Stoneskin and Mesmerize. Decided to punt backstory points pretty early to focus on other things, and I was able to collect a nice 12 from traits. Again, beating the Troll for max points was pretty easy, especially with all the honor tokens.

I really like the alternative rules, it makes you think/play differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
After 4 more games I’ve managed to beat my original submission... but only very slightly!

Ending Gold: 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
East Walpole
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Name: Zoinks
Total Reputation Score: 37
Ending Gold: 5
Number of White Dice on your character sheet: 2

Literally every minion candidate that came up did not give honor tokens, except the first one, where I needed a 9 with four combat dice and rolled a 6 (hence the injury token). Finally I got tokens from the Skeletal Rider on the last turn. I got the scrolls early, so Selfish was a nice find and it moved my alignment in the right place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Think I’m getting a little obsessed...
8 games later...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peroxide Hawk wrote:
Think I’m getting a little obsessed...
8 games later...

Impressive!

Thumb up