Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergei V
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hello Folks,

I am interested in what is your proven over the years all-time favorite game and why.

Please suggest only one game, that seats at least a year in your collection and that you have played over 5 times. So a really proven over time love of yours

As a bonus, you can mention a proven over the years all-time favorite video game. It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation.

my all-time favorite is Arkham Horror 2nd edition.
It was a long journey before acquiring this game. I have watched many playthroughs and many reviews of AH, but also the Eldritch Horror. Despite the fact that the most people chose fo EH, because it is more streamlined, less fiddly, etc., I made a conscious decision to go for AH exactly because it is fiddly and not streamlined I really wanted this complexity, it made this game super versatile for me.
And i never regretted it. I love the game. Love the story it takes me through every time, love emotions of dread, despair, unfairness, surprise, achievement, excitement, relief it gives.
I have read most of Lovecraft after i played this game many times and now i recognize places and characters which makes it even more interesting to me.
This game has everything i love in games: story, adventure, exploration, character development, looting, beautiful board, map movements, boiling action everywhere, dice rolling, replayability. And this is all despite the fact that i am not a sucker for this theme and would much more prefer fantasy or sci-fi.

1db my all-time favorite video game is Might & Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven. I have recently played it for the Xth time after many years and still enjoyed it so much that played 7 and 8 right after
As per above this game does everything i love and more and it is my favorite theme and setting. Hands down the best forever

Now, share yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings LCG.

It blew me away when it first came out in 2011. I've been a soloist for a number of years due to no consistent play group, but have never been in love with solo games. Especially in the 2011 era.

At that time it was mostly playing all sides or using the variants posted on the geek for mostly games in the 3-5 player range. When I heard there was going to be a collectible style card game built from the ground up for solo play, my heart pitter-pattered in expectation.

I bought it, tried it, and immediately fell in love. It was smooth to play, had fantastic artwork, exploded my imagination with storyline and did not feel like a solo game at all.

It's still my favorite game of all time and has improved with age. Amazing job FFG, the designers and developers have done with the license. It deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia.

I love its system
I love its many (cheap) expansions
I love its replayability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh - 1onthebox
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have to pick only one then it has to be Gaia Project. In terms of my taste it’s perfect on every level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jędrzej Jarocki
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
Sci-fi theme makes every game better.
badge
Nexus Ops fan
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse. Second edition rules make this great game even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Peloponnes Card Game - I must have played this at least 50 times solo. Definitely stood the test of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game easily.

My partner & I play it at least 3x/week over our lunch break. Near-infinite variety, and always fun. Sets up, plays, packs away in less than an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Marcuson
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion for me.

Although there are other games that I like playing more than Dominion these days, this game was my original gateway game into the hobby. It was also the first game that my two sons really liked playing with me and to this day is a consistent go-to for my younger son and I when we have time to play something. He always plays a big money strategy and I always try something other than big money to see if I can beat him. He usually wins; I don't mind.

Edit: Just realized this topic is in the 1P guild forum surprise
Arkham Horror: The Card Game is my favorite, enduring game for solo: it never fails to tell a story win (yeah right) or lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You read my mind - I was just going to post a poll about favorite games.

Android is my favorite game, though I've probably just cleared the play threshold you included. It's non solo, and I picked it up before getting into solo gaming, but it's an extraordinary experience. Provided, of course, that you can find 2 to 4 other players willing to devote seven hours to the game.

For solo, it's Elder Sign. One of the games that brought me into the hobby, and I still love it (though prefer it with expansions). I've played dozens of times, more than a hundred if you count the app implementation.

As to video games, I don't really play much anymore. But I know for a fact that, in the distant future, I will be devoting absurd amounts of time to whatever the next Elder Scrolls game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gibson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has to be The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Played it over and over then ended up selling it as i couldn't get my hands on several of the expansions.

...and then sure enough i ended up buying it again! saved up and bought a big bundle from a kind gentleman in Germany. Re-aquired in August - 15 plays clocked since then. Themed games mat and custom tokens now on order to give the ultimate LOTR experience.

Video games...has to be Diablo. Love it. Although the more recent reincarnations of it have not been as dark and menacing as the original unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Alton
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quartermaster General partially because it's a pleasant surprise to have six available to play. The unique team aspect makes for an exciting experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. @kinson
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones that have received consistent play from me... Terraforming Mars and Star Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Grogg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Too Many Bones. I dont log plays but easily over 100 solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verhoven wrote:
my all-time favorite is Arkham Horror 2nd edition
Mine too! High five. Only been in the hobby about 5 years now but this was one of my first big games and it remains my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C S
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei V
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
verhoven wrote:
my all-time favorite is Arkham Horror 2nd edition
Mine too! High five. Only been in the hobby about 5 years now but this was one of my first big games and it remains my favorite.

Yeeey! High five!
I see a rahdo microbadge you wear, so its funny - his review of EH which he totally prefers over AH was the final bit for me to make a decision and go for AH Everything that he said he did not like about AH is exactly what i wanted from the game, so his review was very useful to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whisky Fan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The City of Kings

Love the lore, the artwork, the character skill system and the puzzly nature.
Play it at least once every 2 weeks since I own it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Gardner
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Marvel Legendary and its endless replayability. For video games probably Terraria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite solo board game for the last few years has been Fields of Arle (now with the Tea & Trade expansion).

Going by the score pads, I have 26 plays of the base game and 47 with the expansion.

It's just a joy to play for me.

I'm not much of a video game player anymore, but my all time favorite is probably Final Fantasy VI.

I experienced it for the first time at a friend's house when I was probably ten or eleven and the game was fairly new and I still replay it every couple of years.

The iPad version is pretty great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Death: Monster because the gameplay is superb, and there is (probably) no way one can traverse all lore paths and craft all items in all expansions that exist, in one human lifetime.

I am excluding abstracts, otherwise Go would be the one. Pure, overwhelming, simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
Lord of the Rings LCG.

It blew me away when it first came out in 2011. I've been a soloist for a number of years due to no consistent play group, but have never been in love with solo games. Especially in the 2011 era.

At that time it was mostly playing all sides or using the variants posted on the geek for mostly games in the 3-5 player range. When I heard there was going to be a collectible style card game built from the ground up for solo play, my heart pitter-pattered in expectation.

I bought it, tried it, and immediately fell in love. It was smooth to play, had fantastic artwork, exploded my imagination with storyline and did not feel like a solo game at all.

It's still my favorite game of all time and has improved with age. Amazing job FFG, the designers and developers have done with the license. It deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

Probably this. I've bout and sold it several times because I've gotten frustrated with it, but I always come back to it. Now I feel like I'm finally learning it and I love the designs and the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgatkinsn wrote:
The ones that have received consistent play from me... Terraforming Mars and Star Realms.

Star Realms gets my vote too. I don't play it every day, but it's one I can always turn to when I want a solo game that sets up and plays quick, offers tons of emergent options, and with the release of Frontiers, has a bunch of different scenarios to play.

Those of you that have played it, how does Hero Realms with the campaign expansion compare?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
See the Legendary General Forum for Back to Basics League information -- Dark City and Base Set only
badge
Join the Dark City and Base Set only monthly league -- See Legendary general forum for information
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been a solo gamer since Feb. 2018, but Marvel Legendary easily takes the prize with more than 125 plays logged in during that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McKitrick
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
murjani1 wrote:
Android is my favorite game, though I've probably just cleared the play threshold you included. It's non solo, and I picked it up before getting into solo gaming, but it's an extraordinary experience. Provided, of course, that you can find 2 to 4 other players willing to devote seven hours to the game.

I'm fond of Android too, but traded it away because I couldn't find 2-4 people willing to play. Hopefully it has an appreciative home now! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern Conciergerie Easylife
France
Crolles
France
flag msg tools
Solo soul
badge
Always look on the... *sigh* ... bright side of life !
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't decide between three games : Apex Theropod Deck-Building Game, The Kaiser's Pirates and D-Day Dice.

They all tick very different boxes, but I couldn't decide which one I'd keep more than the others. I think that in terms of longevity, Apex would uphold the better position...

I haven't been serious regarding game logging, but they were all played at least fifty times in the last five years, and always solo (except a few plays of Kaiser and D-Day with my wife as she wanted to test them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |