Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants & Marauders but possibly Magic Realm.

Merchants is fantastic for a pirate simulator game. Every game has produced a different and fun story.

I go back to Magic Realm every year to re-learn and learn more rules. There is nothing else like this game and I know just over half the rules. Doesn't stop me from having a great time with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a solo player since late 2017, so that excludes most of my purchases. But, of the ones that fits that one year restriction is:
Legendary Encounters Alien

(Without that time restriction it would be Shadowrift)

Videogame: Assassin's Creed Origins

I am playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey right now, and I am totally blown away with it. I've got a rockin' pc with an Nvidia 1070, so I can set all graphical options to max, and it is beautiful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island

I know it's not the big, awesome, deep games everyone else has listed, but it does what it does well:

1. Puzzly
2. Great components
3. With variant layouts there's even more variability
4. It plays quickly
5. As an Indiana Jones fan, its theme comes across well to me
6. It's dirt cheap
7. I like the tin! ninja

Therefore, it's always replayable for me, and should the house burn down gulp it's the first thing I would replace (#6 is especially helpful here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Spirit Island.

Variability
Asymmetry
Puzzly
Card play
Soloable
Events
Randomization

My Favorite Video game is Final Fantasy 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really tough one! I only started playing solo in 2017, but I've thrown myself completely into the hobby. There are some excellent contenders, yet I have to go with Expedition: Northwest Passage.

It's quick to set up, consistently clocks in around 25-30 minutes to play, and provides the right amount of challenge. Perhaps it's on the lighter side... But I spent over a year chasing my goal of a complete map, which was worth every minute!

I see a lot of possibilities for the future, too. One isn't doing much... Laying tiles to create icy islands and open seas isn't very deep. Yet there are simulated seasons, multiple modes of transportation, and a lot of considerations to keep in mind.

Finally, I haven't really dove into it yet, but I can see some interesting narrative potential! It's a simple game on the surface, yet like an iceberg, there is much more hidden from view.

As for video games, I also fondly remember Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven! I never actually completed it... There are so many happy memories of playing it with my brother. "I'm the one you want! Pick ME!" "I'll be fit for your party!" Oh, character creation.

This game is also the sole reason why we call cutpurses "catpurses" due to one of us misreading the text one time. It stuck. I still occasionally start up the game just to hear the sounds and music that defined my adolescence.

Funny thing is that we never moved onto the later games: This was the one we loved so much, even with some of its hilarious flaws that we exploited to no end! And the cartographer... I always hired one. Ha ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, that's Mage Knight Board Game. The depth of the gameplay and the unique way different mechanisms have been incorporated; the superb balancing of the cards; the different game scenarios, which while not numerous, provide significantly different experiences; the wide range of difficulties. These all ensure the game has incredible staying power.

If I could pick a second game, that would be The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. With the amount of content currently available, the deckbuilding in this game is very rich. And the number and variety of quests is such that I could play this game forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Zanotti
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mb
For me, is Aeon's End
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias N
Germany
Landsberg/Lech
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I do not have this one all-time favorite game. It depends on my mood, the gametype, how many people are willing to play and so on. Below is a small list of games I would name now, divided into different sections:

Two persons:
Castles of Burgundy. My wife and I have played this almost 250 times in the last 3 years with a variety of expansions and are still not tired of bringing CoB to the table regularly. Other candidates are Euros like Bruges and Stone Age.

More players (>2):
Hard to say. There are many games I want to play in this constellation. If I had to decide today, I would choose Anachrony.

Solo:
Pffff, very hard to commit to one game. Candidates are Anachrony, Terraforming Mars, Spirit Island, Glass Road.

Card Game:
Definitely Take 6, no doubt.

Conclusion:
My collection is too big to name the one favorite all-time game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:

I am excluding abstracts, otherwise Go would be the one. Pure, overwhelming, simple.

Abstracts are what immediately came to mind for me as they are pure with no theme to tire of. If I had to choose one it would be YINSH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm...

I think I'd have to go with Explorers of the North Sea. Easy to set up and play. I have enjoyed it solo and with other people.

My all time digital game is even easier to pick - Sid Meier's Civ, which I have been playing since it was just Civilization, up through various iterations. Currently I'm playing Civ IV.

One of the things I like about both is the exploration and seeing the map unfold over the course of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

LotR LCG. 100's of plays and still love the strategies, tactics, variety, replayability... and it still has cards and archetypes I've yet to try.

For video game, I'll go with Zelda Breath of the Wild. However, once I finish an RPG-like video game, I've never gone back to replay it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
favourite solitaire game
If we're talking about solitaire, it has to be Mage Knight.

I used to play wargames solitaire sometimes, playing both sides as best I can. That can be enjoyable sometimes, in terms of working on a puzzle, but it doesn't give me that tense feeling of trying to win or accomplish something. It's more about studying a system or situation as opposed to solving it. So solitaire wargaming never did it for me; it's something I would do when I was in the throes of ennui -- bored but no idea what to do. I preferred playing wargames and other boardgames against an actual opponent.

At some point a few years ago I got interested in the idea of actual solitaire games; ones designed with solitaire in mind. I found a lot of them lacking, because they lacked any decision space. I'm thinking of games like The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 or Nemo's War, which felt like nothing but rolling dice over and over. Other solitaire experiences just feel like work from managing the AI (Magic Realm, Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar).

But when I saw Mage Knight, originally Ricky Royal's videos then playing it, those issues weren't there. It's got thinky puzzles, it's got NARRATIVE, it's got a goal I'm trying to accomplish, it's got thematic integration so it doesn't feel like i'm just going through motions--Mage Knight has everything and is the perfect solitaire game for me. Sure, it takes a while to get set up and I'm not going to be able to play it every weekend, but I love it and nothing comes close as a solitaire experience.

As for non-solitaire, I really can't say. I haven't been playing boardgames as much lately, as D&D is taking up more of my time.

Computer game? Well, I originally discovered Mage Knight because I'd asked on a forum for boardgames similar to Heroes of Might and Magic III. I've probably played more HOMMIII than any other computer game and have been playing it since its release in 1999. there's no telling how much time I've spent playing the original campaigns several times over and exploring fan-made content and mods. Awesome mix of RPG, civ building, exploration, resource management, strategy. Second to HOMMIII would have to be Out of the Park baseball. I've got over a thousand hours into OOTP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite solitaire game is Arkham Horror: The Card Game. With two people it‘s still Advanced Squad Leader. Playing video games, X-Com is great, although I played a bunch of Slay the Spire recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmb
Dungeon Alliance for me. I have around 20 plays and it has only gotten better with the new Adventure Packs.

Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition is probably my favorite VG (really the Dark Souls/Bloodborne series in general). I love the difficulty and progression of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Link
Germany
Reutlingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite board game would be Terraforming Mars and it could be the one I played the most... at least from the big games.

And my favorite video game is Bloodborne. By a mile!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lindeman
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too Many Bones is my favorite board game.

My favorite computer game is one I've been playing off and on for over 30 years: NetHack. I'll never get tired of that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Peinlich
Germany
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is my favourite solo game. played it, had fun. stopped playing it and returned later, had fun again.

thumbsup feels like adventure
thumbsup fast setup, small footprint
thumbsup thinky, diversified quests
thumbsup great artwork
thumbsup playtime (~1h)

thumbsdown partly oop in germany
thumbsdown that's a lot of money

p.s.: it was a close decision between this and Gloomhaven, but the fast setup and the possibility to play one-handed outweigh.

*edit: favourite pc-game is, was and probably will be Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaex
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game easily for me too. No two games are ever the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joss Ives
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
Peloponnes Card Game - I must have played this at least 50 times solo. Definitely stood the test of time.

I'm curious about the high replayability that you have found with this game. I LOVE disaster mitigation games, really enjoy navigating the disaster mitigation in this game and really enjoy how many competing things you need to consider when drafting your cards However, I have two issues with the game, but I have only played it three times so I would love to hear about what I might be overlooking.

First, I found the strategic variety overly constrained. The scoring mechanism of your final score being the smaller of your power and population points means that you must always invest significantly in population, which is a significant strategic constraint. It reminds me a bit of my frustration with Agricola, where the end-game scoring forces diversification, which ends up being a constraint that I don't enjoy.

Second, the AI getting the right-most card from the row you didn't choose, combined with the lowest of population/power points final score mechanism can be a bit too easy to abuse by minimizing points of a certain type that the AI gets, making the game a bit too easy. One could argue that this is creating interesting choices, but if, for example, the AI scored the higher of its two point types instead, you would have to balance the types of cards it was receiving instead and it would feel a bit less like there was an obvious/automatic choice to make in terms of which row to choose from.

I find the game to be on the easy side. After beating the AI soundly for the first two solo levels, I skipped straight to the highest level for my third game and still won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I might be Brain though
United Kingdom
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game.

It became my #1 as soon as I played it (back in December 2013) and hasn't been budged since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Greggs
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
England
flag msg tools
mb
The Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game

I never seem to tire of this. I’m at close to 200 plays.

Favorite video game of all time is easy: Civ IV.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have trouble deciding between:

Glass Road

and

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei V
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Albia wrote:
As for video games, I also fondly remember Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven! I never actually completed it... There are so many happy memories of playing it with my brother. "I'm the one you want! Pick ME!" "I'll be fit for your party!" Oh, character creation.

This game is also the sole reason why we call cutpurses "catpurses" due to one of us misreading the text one time. It stuck. I still occasionally start up the game just to hear the sounds and music that defined my adolescence.

Funny thing is that we never moved onto the later games: This was the one we loved so much, even with some of its hilarious flaws that we exploited to no end! And the cartographer... I always hired one. Ha ha!

Jessica, you absolutely need to play it again and complete it this time Believe me, you will have great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Over years... probably has to be Runebound, second edition with various expansions. It can be light or complicated with house rules; I've gone back to it time and again over many years, etc.

Is it the "best" solo game I own? No. Individually other games have better mechanics or more complexity or whatever. But as an overall gaming experience this is probably the one I've played and enjoyed the most over the most number of years.

Mage Knight is (obviously, duh) right there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Came in, saw Arkham Horror in the first post, left happy.

Although Mage Knight is on par... and I can see Spirit Island sitting top tier very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |