Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well so many to choose from, so to cut it down a bit:

Card Game
Tomb Raider CCG, it was simpler to play than Middle Earth: The Wizards smaller rulebook too. I loved the early Tomb Raider video games, and I think the card game captures the exploring and adventuring side. I kind of lost interest when the video game went along the shoot-em up route later on. But with a small pool of premier and two expansion it isn't too large a pool to get lost in. I'm packing a few decks to take away with me this weekend - would have loved to have printed out the last fan expansion to take as well but I have run out of time for that.

Board Game
My first solitaire board game was Dwarfstar's Barbarian Prince. The whole adventure/storytelling aspect was an eye-opener after years of Monopoly being inflicted on me. I still have my original game sans box and miniature. This also is a regular holiday pack given the size. You know what I'm taking it with me too.

Video Game
A toss up between Elite (Original/Frontier/Dangerous) or Tomb Raider 1. Or it could be playing around building interactive fiction games with ADRIFT.

How could I forget Star Wars Galaxies and the SWG TCG version too (and Stargate TCG from the same CCG stables).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields of Arle for me.

And for video game: Dwarf Fortress.

These are titles that I've come back to over the years. They invariably end up in my Top-10 lists and often at the top spot and often even make my Hot-10 lists from month to month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Redheaded Pharmacist
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the list of those that chose The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. It’s a stunning game with endless replay value and it’s very thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoly
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My all time favourite board game is a very close tie between Mage Knight Board Game and Arkham Horror. But the question was only for one, so I would have to say Mage Knight purely due to hitting the table more often.

All time favourite video game is much easier: Planescape Torment. Nothing else approaches its sublimity for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Game:
Scythe, 48 plays since Oct. 2017
This was my first "big" board game, so it has a special place in my gaming heart. I like the theme, the art, the replayability.

Video Game (PC):

Warcraft 3 (and Warcraft 2) multi-player online.
I am in my mid-50s and have been playing Warcraft 3 off and on since it came out in 2002. Not consistently, but my two brothers and I used to play Warcraft 2, then Warcraft 3 when it came out for several years. Then, about 3 years ago, one brother had knee replacement surgery and had some free time so we started playing it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rupar
Canada
Chilliwack
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Stare into my eye!
badge
My daughter's art
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's Arkham Horror 2e by a fair margin over Mage Knight Board Game. Nothing comes close to the fun I have playing this game.

My favorite video game is a toss up between Civilization IV and Europa Universalis IV. It seems like there is no correlation between my board game & video game favorites. I think my video game choices would be extremely difficult to implement fully & successfully in a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Annigans
Australia
Ryde
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BOARD GAME:
MAGE KNIGHT (the board game)

It never ceases to amaze me how much enjoyment and theme can be found in a few decks of cards, tokens, some tiles and in the mechanisms (yes, I find MK very thematic mechanicaly).

VIDEO GAME:
As for video games, that's the easiest question I'll ever have to answer (and I've been playing video games since 1992):

The Edler Scolls V: SKYRIM
Fus-Ro-Dah!

CORRELATIONS:

-Overland Adventure (not just dungeons)
-Diplomacy/interpersonal skills
-Fantasy theme
-Exploration is wonderfully rewarding
-Both games have IPs that are owned by the companies that produced them. Also, neither are just another Lord of the f##king Rings cash-in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Ladysmith
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far in my short-lived board game (and even shorter 1PG) career, my vote is for:
Arkham Horror: The Card Game Just can't get enough 'Yog Sothothery'.

Dark Souls is definitely my favorite video game series. In a way, I have From Software to thank for kickstarting my board game hobby. All other video games seemed to pale in comparison to Dark Souls, so I decided to try out a new kind of hobby.

+1 for Tomb Raider 1. For me it represents a real paradigm shift for video games: More entertaining than movies? 3D? Open World concept? Awesome story line and strong characters?...Mind blown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toma Putere
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me and my family, the most played game over the years was
Dungeon Quest Revised Edition.

It offers a quick, fantasy adventure, full of unpredictable events.
The characters are different enough so that you can try new characters every game.
The dungeon is totally random; you can be blocked after the first steps or die just before escaping.

It takes a lot of shuffling when setting up the game, with all the decks for each event (traps, doors, and so on...)
And sometimes it can be frustrating for players who die just at the beginning.

But this is the one game that has been played a lot and will remain in our library of games for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite board game is the one that I've had most fun and most laugh out loud moments with my friends during my long and not very illustrious game playing career:

Each game is rollercoaster of backstabbing, double-crossing and scurrilous lying! We must have played this hundreds of times over the years.

For similar reasons of fun and laughter with friends, my favourite video game has to be:

I have extremely fond memories from the mid 90s of a gang of people coming over to my place and playing tournaments right through the night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Gajda
Poland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
As I am still new to the board game hobby, just started it in March last year, so picking one is quite difficult, let’s say that for board game it will be:
Spirit Island

As for video game my favourite one:
Disciples II
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
See the Legendary General Forum for Back to Basics League information -- Dark City and Base Set only
badge
Join the Dark City and Base Set only monthly league -- See Legendary general forum for information
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I'm torn.

We all are lol! It was a great question and the my answer was easy because I was limited to games I've played for a full year. Since I am new to solo gaming, only 1 game met the criteria. Next year, I too, will be torn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
ArianneH wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
I'm torn.

We all are lol! It was a great question and the my answer was easy because I was limited to games I've played for a full year. Since I am new to solo gaming, only 1 game met the criteria. Next year, I too, will be torn!

Well I'm torn on which one was there longer or which one I currently like the most and have for 2 years
Do I pay respect to what was once the most formidable design I had, or do I reckon the cool kid is miles above it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Broodstar wrote:
For me and my family, the most played game over the years was
Dungeon Quest Revised Edition.

It offers a quick, fantasy adventure, full of unpredictable events.
The characters are different enough so that you can try new characters every game.
The dungeon is totally random; you can be blocked after the first steps or die just before escaping.
I love this game too! It goes onto the gaming table a lot in my house too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
I don't think that something like this exists for me, because I have a very limited amount of free time and when I finally get to play a game, I just prefer to play a new game. But, if I had to choose, it would probably be Deep Space D-6, because:
- the game is short, yet complex and challenging at the same time
- I never forget the rules

Another challenger would be Adamastor, but for that one I actually do forget the rules sometimes... But if this game had a little more elegant rules and dungeon crawler/fantasy theme, then it would be hands down my all-time favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Binder
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verhoven wrote:
Hello Folks,

I am interested in what is your proven over the years all-time favorite game and why.

Please suggest only one game, that seats at least a year in your collection and that you have played over 5 times. So a really proven over time love of yours

As a bonus, you can mention a proven over the years all-time favorite video game. It would be interesting to see if there is any correlation.

my all-time favorite is Arkham Horror 2nd edition.
It was a long journey before acquiring this game. I have watched many playthroughs and many reviews of AH, but also the Eldritch Horror. Despite the fact that the most people chose fo EH, because it is more streamlined, less fiddly, etc., I made a conscious decision to go for AH exactly because it is fiddly and not streamlined I really wanted this complexity, it made this game super versatile for me.
And i never regretted it. I love the game. Love the story it takes me through every time, love emotions of dread, despair, unfairness, surprise, achievement, excitement, relief it gives.
I have read most of Lovecraft after i played this game many times and now i recognize places and characters which makes it even more interesting to me.
This game has everything i love in games: story, adventure, exploration, character development, looting, beautiful board, map movements, boiling action everywhere, dice rolling, replayability. And this is all despite the fact that i am not a sucker for this theme and would much more prefer fantasy or sci-fi.

Exactly the same game and same reasons for me: 8 years, 72 plays and it still is my all time favorite. I also love EH, MoM, MoM2, AHTCG and ES but Arkham Horror is the most fun to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda A.
United States
flag msg tools
Fiddlesticks!
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite, as for so many, is The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, since it is really the only game I play solo anymore. My husband loves playing games so much that as soon as I start picking up boxes he asks what we are going to play.

My favorite video game is The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind – Game of the Year Edition, with the sound and graphics overhaul mod. I love that game so much and have spent so much time in it. The alien environment, the music and the open world are so compelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei V
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wow, it looks like LotR Card Game is dominating the proven over time all-time favorite choice among those who have expressed their opinion here.
I have never got into this game, but now my interest has sparked...though it might be too late to get on this train now as the game became so big that i would not even know where to start...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Peinlich
Germany
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verhoven wrote:
Wow, it looks like LotR Card Game is dominating the proven over time all-time favorite choice among those who have expressed their opinion here.
I have never got into this game, but now my interest has sparked...though it might be too late to get on this train now as the game became so big that i would not even know where to start...

https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-playe... helped me a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jensen
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite board game is definitely Scythe. There's not much I don't like about this game. It's best multiplayer, but also really good solo. The components, art, and world are all top notch, especially with the realistic resource tokens & metal coins. I love the resource management. I love how there are only four actions for you to take, but so much to consider when choosing which one. I like how it feels like a race to get the stars & the tension that creates.
I like that the threat of combat has as much impact on the game as actual combat. Replayability is great, especially with the Fenris expansion. It's really like Stonemaier Games made this just for me.

Video games? I don't play anymore, but some of my favorites were Metal Gear Solid for the playstation, Diablo II, Baldur's Gate II, Skyrim, Killer Instinct for the SNES, and Mario Kart. If I had to pick one, it would probably be Metal Gear Solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." --Emerson
badge
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet (Shakespeare)
mbmbmbmbmb
verhoven wrote:
I haven't ever tried it myself. But I still like the LotR Board Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Sumich
Australia
Redland bay, Queensland
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a hard one as I've only been solo gaming for the last year really. I've tried about 10 or more titles since starting to game solo and now have three that I really like. But out of that three there is one that stands out taller then the rest.

This is Comancheria. I've only just learned it in the last 2 weeks, but I love the depth of strategy and card play, the historical theme and subject matter and it feels addictive to play. Even now I'm currently taking a break from the game but all I can think about is playing Comancheria instead. This could be the honey moon period but for now it's definitely my favourite.

As for the video game, this is a hard one. I grew up in what I personally consider to be the golden age of PC gaming, the late 90's and have so many fond memories from this era. From the fantastic RTS titles like Red Alert and Age of Empires all the way to RPGs like Fallout 2 and Baldurs Gate and to adventure games like Myst and Riven.

If I was to pick one and only one that I consider to be my all time favourite, it would have to be Warlords 3 Dark Lords Rising. I have spent SO SO SO much time on this one. Playing hot seat with my brother over the holidays for hours on end. Drawing scenarios and planning the perfect hero to lead my armies. It was a hard game but a lot of fun and was similar to the also fantastic Heroes of Might and Magic game. The difference being battles were automatic with DRM based on unit stats and hero stats. You could cast spells but only before the battle, to say increase morale or other stats.

It's the one game that I can't get running in Windows 10 very well unfortunately too. I'd really love to play it again. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
The way the AI is implemented in Comancheria is brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |