BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Geek of the Week

Subject: Geek of the Week #111: Frank La Terra (MrSkeletor) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gotw [+] cranky_rant [+] [View All]
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a lot of fun, but all good things come to an end.

Now it's time to select a new GOTW. Since we're supposed to choose the next GOTW from another continent from our own, the choice was easy...and hey, sometimes we all live for controversy.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Geek of the Week #111, the man who needs no introduction, Frank La Terra (Mr. Skeletor himself).

From his strong opinions on games, to his "no holds barred" style of forum posting, to his Fortress: Ameritrash blog posts, to his legendary Britney/Skeletor avatar...Frank is the kind of guy that rarely fails to generate strong opinions about him, one way or another.

But anyway, I ramble. Let's turn the floor over to the man himself:

Quote:
Hullo. It is an honor to be the 111th geekiest person on this website. Or something like that.

I was born in 1979 amidst the weeping of Angels and the lamentations of Devils to humble folk in the new world known as Australia. In the sweet tenderness of my youth I was shown visions by forces beyond any reach of a time to come where I would ascend from amongst the flock to lead mankind from the tendrils of oblivion into the next step of elementary salvation. I quickly found the lot of a prophet to be a bit rubbish however, so decided to abandon my purpose of being and play games instead. Apparently this decision has damned us all to dust where not even our memory will survive, but I?m sure you?ll all be right.

My origins of geekiness began, as all things do, in my infancy, a time where I was fixated by the muppets. Before I even learned the art of speech these unreal, fantastical creatures would keep me mesmerized with their adventures and antics, be they the joys of watching the Count learn how to count sheep, the tragic romance of Kermit and Piggy, the excitement of Red avoiding the Gorgs or the chilling discovery of mortality with Mr. Hooper?s death. My love of fantasy was cemented upon my fourth or fifth birthday where I received my first ?Master of the Universe? action figures (Battle Armor He-man, Battlecat, and Buzz-off) which of course led to my first ever fan boy obsession.

In my childhood I was never really into boardgames, I of course had a copy of Monopoly and Connect Floor stashed away in the toy box, but I hardly thought they were brilliant - I was more obsessed with computer games (as opposed to today where I hardly touch the things.) This changed at around the time when I was in grade 6, where an television add for Hero Quest came on. Now by this stage I had discovered the Hobbit and a bunch of other fantasy ?literature?, so the promise the add made that a few dice and some miniatures would allow me to experience the exciting adventures of barbarians and wizards and elves (I hated dwarfs) was enough to give me my first ever erection. Much crafty whining and shameless begging lead to me finding a copy under the Christmas tree that year, and I was in love.

I played my copy to death, wrote my own adventures, and even had a crack at painting the miniatures (the results were a disaster.) I loved that bloody game, and the love only increased when I was walking down the isles of Kmart and bumped into the first to expansions. EXPANSIONS?!?! I had never heard of such a thing before, and wasn?t even sure of what they were, but I knew I had to have them. Later Space Crusade came out and I grabbed that too, then other such games like Dark World and before I knew it I was building up bit of a boardgame collection. I also got heavily into gamebooks, especially Fighting Fantasy, which I always thought of as being like board games you could play with when alone.

Somewhere along the line (I can?t remember the where or how) I discovered that there were shops dedicated to selling games in the city, and from that I discovered Games Workshop. I was never into their ?main line? games, but their secondary line I was a big fan of. Later I would go onto discover Mutant Chronicles and become obsessed with all of those games. I also began buying roleplaying stuff, though I have never actually played a RPG in my life. I think I just liked to read them.

Eventually I grew up, got into music as all teens do and kind of left all of that stuff behind. I?m a real hoarder though, so I never got rid of any of it including my childhood toy collection. In an effort to convince my father to buy me a computer (we were a struggling family) I used the excuse of ?wanting to get into IT as a career?. This wasn?t necessarily true, and I have kind of regretted doing it since, but alas that is how I got into IT.

Flash forward a number of years passed university and into the workforce and I find myself sitting in front of my work desk bored out of my skull. For some reason I decide to check out ebay, something which to date I new very little of. Remembering I have a box full of old Masters of the Universe action figures, I decide to look them up to see if they are worth anything, but they pretty much aren?t. My memory here gets hazy, and I sometimes suspect there were alien radiation waves being emitted from my monitor which were controlling my actions, but somehow I made the big mistake. I brought something from ebay. And I was hooked.

I started buying up the ?missing? figures from my MOTU collection, and despite the fact I hadn?t pulled these toys out in a dozen years the nostalgia bug hit hard. This was about the time when the 80s resurgence started, which didn?t help, so before I knew it I was going crazy on ebay actions becoming a ?collector?. The problem with collecting something though is that the ?chase? is the fun part but eventually that ends and you suddenly find yourself with nothing to do. And so when I found I had most of the MOTU collection ? certainly everything I could afford ? I was a bit dumbstruck on where to go now.

Some of the last items I had brought were he-man licensed boardgames, which got me thinking about Hero Quest. Maybe I could get some of the rarer expansions I never got as a child off of ebay? So I fired up trusty old Google and did a search, and while there was a bit of info on Hero Quest, the search also kept bringing up something called Heroscape. Intrigued, I looked it up, and discovered that it was like a modern day take on Hero Quest ? more or less a fourth iteration of those mainstream fantasy games. Heroscape was still very new at this stage and not available at the big department stores yet, so I tried the game store in the city, and found a copy for the ridiculous price of $140AU. There was no way I was paying that much, so somewhat disappointed I begin to leave the store when I find a stack of new games at a much more reasonable price. This game had floor plans and miniatures and lots of bits just like those old dungeon crawls of my youth, and I couldn?t resist snagging a copy. The game was called Doom, and researching led me to this site. And the rest as the cliché goes is history?

My 3 truths and 1 lie:
1. A month or two after buying Doom I regretted it, as I wanted to have a game collection consisting ?mature? Euros with beautiful wooden components, rather than games with kiddy plastic and dorky themes.
2. I was an Altar boy in my youth, for which I was paid a kings ransom of 50 cents total.
3. I was meant to compete in a salsa dancing competition to represent Australia on the world stage, but was disqualified due to telling one of the judges where to go after he picked on my dance partners weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll start things off:

1. Your house is aflame and all you can save are five games. What will those games be?

2. What five Euros do you think, "Hey, these aren't bad..."

3. What is your favorite movie?

4. Name three music bands you've listened to the most recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Frank!

Being the eleventy-first must be an honor...

A few quick questions:
1) What do you feel was the sleeper hit of 2006?
2) What made you decide to stick around BGG?
3) I believe you and I are Wii friends, what's your favorite game for the Wii?
4) How do you play your Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie? Vanilla or with which expansions?

I will go with number 2 as the lie... why not...

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
He-Man

Eternia
msg tools
My question to you is. How do you take loosing boardgames? I know how you take it in real life, you've had lots of practise over the years.

And I would say the 1 is the lie, but you only regret it, because you can't win it against me

2nd has to be ture, it would explain why you are so evil and the 3rd, well it was good what you did, standing up for beastman.

You might be geek of the week, but you will never win, good will always defeat evil.

By the Power of Grayskull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
East Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh snap, this should be an epic fight.

Heh, congrats Frank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank, it is no secret that you've been a naughty, naughty boy. Tell us what's it like being such a bad boy? What are your secrets to being so bad?

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Dornbrook
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Mr. La Terra, I mean Frank Skeletor, I mean... oh damn the man.

Certainly Eleventy One holds a spot of honor in the geek realm, you must change your avatar to a Tolkien Character all week to honour our heritage!

Questions, right, about that, these might be kind of hard:

1. If all the other kids jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you jump off too?

2. On your profile you say
MrSkeletor wrote:
Taking Nate & Michael's advice and withdrawing from the BGG 'community'. At the end of the day this is no longer the place for me.
is this how you really feel and why? If so, it's a shame, your contributions generally promote the most important aspect of a forum site, open discourse.

Candor is a valuable thing.

3. ####Question 3 has been removed due to its sensitive nature, it cries too much####
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the AT crowd is represented in greater glory!! Congrats Frank and enjoy your time as GotW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Easterlin
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This could be a first folks... a locked Geek of the Week thread.

My money is on Tuesday... before lunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
el alcalde de GeekQuestions
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Frank!

So umm... you ever going to get around to the long rumored Runebound expansions geek list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Foxy McFoxface
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, Frank is Geek of the Week?

Skeletor has captured Castle Grayskull!!

congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question to Frank: are you going to give GoTW to someone who is banned? arrrh laugh devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, Frank, I've been waiting for this moment with fervor unabated!

I'd like to know what you think the relationship is between the AT games and the hypermasculinity that now seems to surround them.

Thanks much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Turn the figurehead into the wind, lash the crew to the masts, and God be with us.
badge
Fun Fact: Known to sniff glitter-glue out of a Muse's thong.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Frank--sniper rifle or tire iron?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Congrats Frank! Well deserved.

My question: After the "vibrating behind a statue "controversy" ", Why have you never picked up another another avatar here? I miss seeing old bonehead. There is another user about using him and it almost seems like blasphemy.

I, too, still have my MotU toys from childhood. Sad, sad. I also have all the new stuff that came out 3-ish years ago. REALLY sad. Did you get into these new ones? I'm still trying to pin down a new Faker and Keldor at a reasonable price. I'm sorry, He-Man isn't worth $100 just because he's made of BLUE plastic . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to go Frank on GOTW. I look forward to your posts during the next week.

What was the LAST game you played face to face?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your reindeer are on fire
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
OverText is totally worth 100 units of imaginary, worthless currency
badge
What the Hell else am I supposed to do with GeekGold?
mbmbmbmbmb
A most excellent choice for GoTW!

So here are my questions for you:

1. Can you tell us about the cuisine down under? Do you have interesting local dishes that would appeal (or repulse)? Surely I could look this sort of thing up, but it would be more entertaining with your colorful commentary.

2. Who's your favorite non-AT geek, the one who despite disagreeing with you on games offers thoughtful commentary that you respect?

3. In an otherwise good game, you encounter a single (but crucial) rule or situation that really screws up game play. Do you: 1) House rule it 2) Play as is and just live with the problem, because the game is still good overall or 3) Put the game away and find something else. Can you give an example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Frank is Geek of the Week?

Apparently the terrorists won. Someone should tell Aldie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
GRATZ! and I'm certain that many here have SHATZ! themselves when they seen THIS! So when are you going to re-display some manner of anything for an 'avatar'? Just keep it 'clean', MR!
thumbsupmeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What gaming themes would you prefer to see emerge in the next year, frolicking puppies or something about growing wonderful pastel flowers?

edited to prevent Monday thread lock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cheers Frank!

what´s wrong with the beach boys?
how long before the MOTU rip-off movie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
I'm curious about whether you think the AT/Euro debate has anything to do with class and related attitudes. AT seems working class, and euros seem upper-middle in their demeanor, and also their themes of controlling little workers to build things for royalty, etc.

With questions like the above This WILL get locked on monday, I won't reply out of respect to Frank, he should have 1st crack at this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank!

Well say what you will but you are a Geek, and one who post here often enough, Well deserved GoTW!

couple of questions,

What looks good from this years Essen?
What have you been playing these days?
Who the heck is in your game group? Is it all AT players or are there any Euro gamers in there?
How often do you scare gamers away from the group?
How many rounds will you need to Claim the F:AT Badass Title, and why have you not joined the Google group?

When I was younger, I always thought He-Man was a little well... Gay, please explain what you find cool about MoTU? Is it that he rides on a big cat? or is that he has such a handsome physique?

Oh an 1 is the lie, Franks angst smells of church life, and I know anyone as into the homo-erotic works of MoTU as much as Frank is can dance.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats Frank! Actually, it would be nice to see you around here more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.