Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I flooded my basement 2½ months ago and I am just now starting to move things back in. Luckily, Acts of God are not covered by insurance, but Acts of Paul are.

While I did not have enough room before, it looks like I have even less now so I am trying to consolidate and finding that I have many empty expansion boxes. I had kept them because they were part of the purchase as much as the contents but now wonder whether I should bother. Some are the small boxes that LCG expansions come in, others are large like all my Dominion expansion boxes.

I have never sold or traded away games, so I do not know if it matters to people who may play the games after me. (Collectors will just be out of luck no matter how you slice it.)

Please advise. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I toss all boxes that aren't actually holding game contents. I waste enough space on this hobby as it is. >.>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have one spare box for extra random dice and one spare box for extra random cubes and pawns. All other extra boxes get tossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Minsker
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my expansion boxes end up in the recycling. The exceptions are if it's a really well constructed box (can recycle to hold other games/PnPs with a sticker on it), if it's a game with several expansions that might need an extra box to hold the overflow (see Concordia), or if the art is just too good and I can't bear to toss it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toss them. It’s liberating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Discarding was my default choice. I am glad that I can save a few feet of shelf space. As it is, I know that the Kallax shelving I bought will be double depth with games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rice
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Geeklist for people either looking for, or offering, empty game boxes. I have utilized this list several times, helping people with boxes I no longer needed. This is much better then just tossing them away:

Resource list-- I just want the box!

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s a great feeling tossing empty expansion boxes once you do it. No reason to be precious about empty cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Repurpose them.
Enough waste as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you toss, please use your local recycling services.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Repurpose them.
Enough waste as is.

Along these lines, I've used them to make bit boxes for the components, dividers, that type of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
benjamininja wrote:
Toss them. It’s liberating!

This. I used to hold on to all those boxes as well for "someday". "Someday" never came and so I condensed all my games and freed up a significant amount of space for new ones other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I repurpose all my spare boxes for general storage or PnP games, projects in progress, etc. If I want them again for some reason in the future, they're still around, but can be useful in the interim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick White
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the art is REALLY good you can make some framed art out of them. if the art sucks but they made a really good box I have sprayed painted them the put a polyurethane on and re-purpose them for other things before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Low
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eraelan wrote:
I used to hold on to all those boxes as well for "someday".

Is it embarrassing to admit that I keep the shipping boxes that games are sent to me in for the same "someday" reason?

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlow wrote:
...I keep the shipping boxes that games are sent to me in for the same "someday" reason?

blush

I keep the best-of-the-best shipping boxes for wrapping Christmas and birthday presents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfthatwonders wrote:
If the art is REALLY good you can make some framed art out of them. if the art sucks but they made a really good box I have sprayed painted them the put a polyurethane on and re-purpose them for other things before.

I’m actually hanging on to my Sentinels of the Multiverse boxes for this reason exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To the trash (or recycle) all of them.

Free yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Schulz
Sweden
Boden
Norrbotten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am able to pack the expansion content in the base game box, then straight to the recycle bin. Shelve space is a precious commodity and expansion boxes are just wasted space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hat Beard
United Kingdom
London / Brighton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I keep most boxes as there's an 8" gap down the side of the metal shelving unit I put inside a closet where my games live so they all get stuffed down the side out of sight "just in case".

The one exception is I finally got the courage to dispose of my arkham horror Campaign starter boxes which were just flimsy card anyways, I cut the front panel off and recycled the rest. the front panels now serve as dividers in the sleeved portfolio binder I use to store the scenario booklets.

I kept the "return to" boxes though as they have value for storage or resale even though all of my Arkham content is stored in for-purpose wooden storage boxes and i think i still have all the paper inserts for the mythos packs in case I decide to use the artwork for anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Greggs
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
England
flag msg tools
mb
I chuck them unless they are a convenient size for re-using inside other game boxes, e.g. to hold tiles. But I would not keep a lot of them if unused, just my favourite ones.

If buying a game second-hand including expansions, it would not bother me if the expansion boxes were not included.

It is a shame to chuck boxes out, but if they are taking up too much space...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I use the boxes to wrap (hide) other presents. Especially, if it’s for another BGG user.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Carson
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten better about throwing out unnecessary boxes and useless inserts. I have kept a few boxes that are either really good, really well built, or potentially saleable, but if i can get everything into one box, I'll ditch the rest.
My thoughts were that in most cases, if I sell/trade the game, it'll be the whole package, and while some may miss the expansion box, my having everything in one box could be considered a benefit. Plus, I'll be honest, I don't sell a lot of games, and the ones I do, I sell at fire sale prices for the most part.
I thought about carving out the art part but I've got four things to hang on the wall that have been pending for a year so I don't need to add to that queue.
(and by toss, I do mean into the recycling.)
When I realized I could store 15 empty boxes or 15 full boxes, it was an easy decision.
I fully believe that as time passes, 'stuff' expands to fill 110% of the allotted space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis P
United States
Richmond
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Facebook group where people buy and sell empty game boxes. I've seen some boardgame cafes looking for things to decorate their shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls