United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
Mosch wrote:
I'd consider moving it to after Spiel to maximize the number of available promos.
I may not be recalling this correctly, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the original intent for having two a year was that the 'summer' one was after GenCon and the 'winter' one after Essen. Obviously the two conventions are actually fairly close together, so having the post-Essen one in January makes some kind of sense.

That said, the nature of when and how people receive promos has changed in the last few years, with several people in this thread citing Kickstarter campaigns for media as major originators. With that being the case, I can see an argument for having trades in November (post-convention season) and May (post KS shipping?). I'll be curious to see what the results of Matt's poll are.

Yes, I would agree more and more people are getting promos from KS campaigns over GenCon/Essen.

Of course delivery dates for KS where they are getting promos from many different publishers can often get pushed back but the tentative delivery dates I believe are:

Game Boy Geek - Sept
Tantrum House - Sept
Dice Tower - Nov
Promo Paradise - Dec
Secret Cabal - Jan 2020

I think maybe Tantrum House shipped already but one of the promos I am getting is delayed but seems they are the later part of the year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenn B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know when Man vs Meeple will have their kickstarter? I see here on the geek they will have a teotihuacan promo, but I haven't heard anything about an actual kickstarter date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sem Brys
Belgium
Jette
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I want to offer 200 GeekGold 3 times, can I do it like this?

Quote:
200 Geekgold
+altname+200 Geekgold-altname-
%Options% Copies: 3 %End%

Also, do you think 200 GG for a promo card is a good offer? (Like a promo card for Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle for example)
I'm not sure how much most people would value their card in GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantichore1 wrote:

You can see here
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/32850311#32850311
that GG is readily available for roughly US$5/1000 or US$1 for 200.

200GG wouldn't even cover postage, but maybe some fols are kind-hearted. Me? I value any amount of GG pretty close to zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Mantichore1 wrote:

You can see here

200GG wouldn't even cover postage, but maybe some fols are kind-hearted. Me? I value any amount of GG pretty close to zero.
Especially since they took away the ability to buy adblock with it I would agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
enoon wrote:
Mantichore1 wrote:

You can see here

Especially since they took away the ability to buy adblock with it I would agree.

That explains the plummeting value. I saw enoon's quote of the prices and was shocked, but this makes sense.

I haven't been paying much attention to the GG market lately...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
Mosch wrote:
I'd consider moving it to after Spiel to maximize the number of available promos.
I may not be recalling this correctly, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the original intent for having two a year was that the 'summer' one was after GenCon and the 'winter' one after Essen. Obviously the two conventions are actually fairly close together, so having the post-Essen one in January makes some kind of sense.

This was what was decided a few years back the last time I did a poll.

The timing of the January/February one was to be post-Essen and post-Holiday season, to allow the dust to settle on collection changes and postal craziness. The timing of the August/September one was to be after the summer Con season.

Of course, it just so happens that the one after the "summer" cons ends up coming just a month or two before Essen, but I feel that there isn't enough time AFTER Essen before the holiday season starts to ramp up to comfortable run one then.

I still feel like it shouldn't be a problem to have a promo trade running a full month before Essen, but since I'm not an Essen attendee I don't really know for sure nor have stake in it.

So we'll see what happens - I may throw up the poll today actually when I open up submissions so we get maximum participation before people check out their trades and dash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
I'm holding out for a Euro 'til the end of the ni-ight...
badge
Misumena vatia
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:

Folks? Or fools? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
I still feel like it shouldn't be a problem to have a promo trade running a full month before Essen, but since I'm not an Essen attendee I don't really know for sure nor have stake in it.

I am going to Essen and don't have a problem with the current timing, since you made certain that the deadline doesn't clash with the Essen MT. That said, I'm not getting involved with the Essen auction geeklist. Even looking at that is overwhelming, so I can kind of understand how a promo maths trade might be seen as a low priority thing to drop if you were involved in something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
hestiansun wrote:

I am going to Essen and don't have a problem with the current timing, since you made certain that the deadline doesn't clash with the Essen MT. That said, I'm not getting involved with the Essen auction geeklist. Even looking at that is overwhelming, so I can kind of understand how a promo maths trade might be seen as a low priority thing to drop if you were involved in something like that.

I see no reason why people can't do both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
hestiansun wrote:

I don't see why it would be a problem, as such - in the end, the amount of promos offered probably stays the same. And this allows me to cling to the vain hope of being able to hand over my promos in Essen, minimizing my contact with our post office!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

Wait, what? When was this announced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, list is locked, final resync loaded, and submission of wants is officially opened.

I'm adding a poll now to discuss scheduling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Worldwide Promo Math Trade Scheduling Poll
After several years and a few updates to the scheduling of the Worldwide Promo Math trade, I'm opening up another poll to see if we want to consider moving the dates. With changes to the timing of promo distributions due to the advent of Kickstarter, and people wanting to be more conscious of their time during Essen preparation, it seemed sensible.

Please select from the options below when your preferred times would be to have the Worldwide Promo Math Trade Scheduled. Feel free to select as many as you would like.

Some noteworthy dates to consider (this is just some that I am aware of and by no means a complete list, so please don't be offended if I'm not listing your favorite Con or no Cons from your country - in many cases the timings tend to be similar anyway):
Festival International des Jeux of Cannes (FR) - End of February
UK Games Expo - End of May
BGG Con (US) - End of May and End of November
Origins (US) - End of June
GenCon (US) - End of July
SHUX (CA) - Beginning of October
PAX Australia - Middle of October
Essen Spiel (DE) - End of October
PAX Unplugged (US) - End of December
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Once Annually in January
7.4% 10
Once Annually in February
5.9% 8
Once Annually in August
4.4% 6
Once Annually in September
9.6% 13
Once Annually in November
5.2% 7
Twice Annually - January & August
28.9% 39
Twice Annually - February & August
37.8% 51
Twice Annually - January & September
30.4% 41
Twice Annually - February & September
43.0% 58
Twice Annually - January & November
13.3% 18
Twice Annually - February & November
22.2% 30
Voters 135
This poll is now closed.   135 answers
Poll created by hestiansun
Closes: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, no idea why it added the wonky colors.

But here is the poll. Curious to see what everyone thinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly support February & August, post-Gen Con (i.e., the usual schedule).

August is between Gen Con and Spiel, so it avoids those conventions and associated math trades / auctions.

I like February mostly because it's nice & symmetric, 6 months away from August.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
I strongly support February & August, post-Gen Con (i.e., the usual schedule).

August is between Gen Con and Spiel, so it avoids those conventions and associated math trades / auctions.

I like February mostly because it's nice & symmetric, 6 months away from August.

It's still early, but it seems that Feb/Sept is currently doing well, and there is a greater preference for Sept vs Aug than there is Feb vs Jan.

I personally think either Aug or Sept accomplish what we are looking to do, which is land AFTER Origins and GenCon but BEFORE Spiel. Just that many seemed to have been saying that September is "too late" because they are tied up with Essen planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no option for "twice annually, don't much care when" ....

A,ll months are either after or before something. I'd just aim for having the trades run a month or so after the end of major cons where most promos start their lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilfred Meyboom
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:

I am worried that by putting the poll in the discussion thread of this MT we'll miss the opinions of the people not participating. Perhaps a post in the discussion thread of the previous promo MT (to trigger some subscriptions) would help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete & SO
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moenja wrote:
SocksRule wrote:
I thought I had heard there were changes to how some European countries were calculating international shipping, but maybe I misheard. If true though this might explain the drop in participation.

My guess would be that a lot of European BGG'ers are busy with Spiel preparation and therefore decide not to participate in this MT.

I try to keep up with the new games for Spiel (1000+ items and counting), the Spiel no-ship auction (8400+ items and counting) and the Spiel no-ship Math Trade (3208 items).
And there is even more, like the Goodies list, Mule list, left over MTs, etc.
In Germany, they changed the rules on what you are allowed to send in an internationel letter effective as of 2019 (only handwritten stuff, not even a single promo card or a photo of your grandchildren or the like, ridiculous, but this is what they told me at the post office when I specifically asked them to give me examples on what may be included in an international letter and what not) so that shipping costs increased significantly, especially for cardboard or 3D-promos (and there was an increase in shipping costs effective as of July 1st, 2019). Additionally, PayPal seems to have increased the fees on international transactions, so that this might be another downer.

As regards the timing shortly before SPIEL, my estimate is that this is not such a huge hindrance in comparison, because you can always just pick your wants via the magnifying glass function the OLWLG offers if you're not in the mood or do not have the time to browse through the whole list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete & SO
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One question regarding duplicate protection:

I always use the automated DP which automatically includes all entries of the same item. This time however, one participant included a promo that has an entry in BGG's database under an altname tag and added the link additionally: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/item/7157160

Now, can I just tick the box in the green column and leave everything else blank (so that it looks like all the other items included in my automatically created dummie *EDIT: except for being highlighted grey after saving the changes in Step 4, the line is now highlighted grey ... *) or does this mess up the system? Is there another way to somehow include the item in my automated dummie (in the moment, I am not in the mood to start programming my own dummies whistle)? If there is no easy way, I will just not put the linked item in my wantlist.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluepirate77 wrote:
can I just tick the box in the green column and leave everything else blank
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bluepirate77 wrote:

In Germany, they changed the rules on what you are allowed to send in an internationel letter effective as of 2019 (only handwritten stuff, not even a single promo card or a photo of your grandchildren or the like, ridiculous, but this is what they told me at the post office when I specifically asked them to give me examples on what may be included in an international letter and what not) so that shipping costs increased significantly, especially for cardboard or 3D-promos (and there was an increase in shipping costs effective as of July 1st, 2019).

Never had any problems - there are thick anniversary cards as well.
Do you know the German saying: „Wer viel fragt, kriegt viel Antwort!“?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
There's no option for "twice annually, don't much care when" ....

A,ll months are either after or before something. I'd just aim for having the trades run a month or so after the end of major cons where most promos start their lives.

Well, there is - select all of the twice annually options to indicate no further preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moenja wrote:
hestiansun wrote:

I am worried that by putting the poll in the discussion thread of this MT we'll miss the opinions of the people not participating. Perhaps a post in the discussion thread of the previous promo MT (to trigger some subscriptions) would help?

I was weighing the idea of sending a geekmail to the participants of the last trade to alert them to this, since many people unsubscribe to the discussion thread (or don't even subscribe in the first place).

But I worry it'd be considered a nuisance. That said, in this case I think one email isn't horrible, and hopefully no one gets bent out of shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |