1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: Solo Deck-Building Games Recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carlos Zanotti
Paraguay
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everybody, I'm looking for recommendations for my next solo deck-building game.
- I looooooooove Aeon's End
- I've also enjoy Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game, Shadowrun: Crossfire and Friday
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been loving Chronicles of Frost lately. Small, quick, has a satisfying build-up to big turns.

Rune Age is also really good, but very out-of-print and expensive at this point (even more so since you would really need the expansion with it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gibson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowrift. Is very good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowrift
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will third Shadowrift and throw in a Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Chronicles of Frost and would add Helionox (either edition) and Mistfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmb
Falath wrote:
Hi everybody, I'm looking for recommendations for my next solo deck-building game.
- I've also enjoy Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game, Shadowrun: Crossfire and Friday
Thanks!

I recommend:

Renegade
Tournament Fishing: The Deckbuilding Game
Heroes of Tenefyr
Dungeon Alliance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Chronicles of Frost. I also have the All That Burns expansion but I am not convinced about it yet. It seems to add complexity and setup time to a game that is otherwise very pickup and go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Link
Germany
Reutlingen
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Realms with Hero Realms: The Ruin of Thandar Campaign Deck

XenoShyft: Onslaught or XenoShyft: Dreadmire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salyer

Virginia
msg tools
Star Realms Frontiers = lots of fun for $20 (or less).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
See the Legendary General Forum for Back to Basics League information -- Dark City and Base Set only
badge
Join the Dark City and Base Set only monthly league -- See Legendary general forum for information
mbmbmbmbmb

Marvel Legendary ... then you can join the Legendary League for solo players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Falath wrote:
- I looooooooove Aeon's End!

Then an expansion you don't have cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Falath wrote:
- I looooooooove Aeon's End!

Then an expansion you don't have cool

Good point. Aeon's End does have quite a few expansions now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistfall Heart of the Mists is on sale at Funagain games for $15 shipped. Never played it, but looks like it decent deck builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankie Bones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kristabelle wrote:
Another vote for Chronicles of Frost. I also have the All That Burns expansion but I am not convinced about it yet. It seems to add complexity and setup time to a game that is otherwise very pickup and go.

This was my feeling and exactly why I traded the expansion and kept the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Haar
United States
St.Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeon's End and the expansions is all you need! I also love Aeon's End and it has pretty much ruined all other deckbuilders for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankie Bones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think Aeon's End may be the best deckbuilder out there.

There are some of us, including me, that can no longer play double handed. It's not too much to handle for my brain by any means, it's just that I don't enjoy the game as much. For me, this really only applies to deckbuilders as I can easily play both sides in a wargame.

I realize the OP doesn't have that problem but I'm sure there are others that feel the same. I love true solo in my cards games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy of Apex this might be my favorite solo deck builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoly
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:

I recommend:

Renegade

If Renegade is meeting the criteria for a "Deck-Building Game", then I would strongly recommend Mage Knight Board Game.

Same general card play as Renegade, but a much better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Attack on Titan: Deck-Building Game is my deckbuilder of choice, though I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't like losing a lot. It's downright vicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Baseball Highlights: 2045 is another of my favorites. It does a great job of capturing the feel of a baseball game.

And another vote for Tournament Fishing. Never a bad day fishing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
tyk567 wrote:
Falath wrote:
Thanks!

I recommend:

Renegade
Tournament Fishing: The Deckbuilding Game
Heroes of Tenefyr
Dungeon Alliance

I second renegade, It's a fantastic game where you feel like your choices are meaningful rather than based on luck. The only downside is that you do not "win" the game, you just don't lose and are given a score to see how you did
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BrokenAxe wrote:
Kristabelle wrote:

This was my feeling and exactly why I traded the expansion and kept the base game.
It's always nice to have one's world view reinforced! And just to be clear I really recommend the base game, quick setup, variety and I remember the rules pretty well.
Think it's decided me to pass on the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kjh092 wrote:
Aeon's End and the expansions is all you need! I also love Aeon's End and it has pretty much ruined all other deckbuilders for me.

+1

Having owned and played all versions of it, Aeon's End is the pinnacle of deck builders for me. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love and play Shadowrun: Crossfire, Helionox: Deluxe Edition, Star Realms (all versions), and all the rest in my collection, but it's Aeon's End that hits the table most often. It's also the easiest deck builder to teach to new players as the co-op removes some angst and the discard mechanic allows for a lot of strategy that others lack.

Best part: each expansion adds something different to the mix rather than making it more of the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmb
Fire_Forever wrote:
Attack on Titan: Deck-Building Game is my deckbuilder of choice, though I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't like losing a lot. It's downright vicious.

The mechanics in this one seem very innovative and interesting but the theme is just not for me.

I also thought of another DB that I like to recommend:

The Big Book of Madness. It even has a long-awaited expansions coming out soon: The Big Book of Madness: The Vth Element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |