Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
238 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Canadian Math Trade - Free Shipping October 2019 Edition - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Thyssen
Canada
Sparta
ON
flag msg tools
adamthyssen.com
badge
adamthyssen.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, CanadaPost is offering a promo code for free shipping of one package up to 5kg, every Tuesday in October - for a total of 5 free shipments! You will need to sign up for a 'Solutions for Small Business' account to qualify but (at least in previous years) there's been no requirements to sign up beyond a Canadian address.

The promo codes will appear here: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/shipping/free-ship... each Tuesday. Be forewarned - for the last two years (at least, to my memory) web traffic has been sufficient to crash the site. Those who follow up with CanadaPost customer service though have been given a promo code that allows them an additional free shipment in November. I'd ask that everyone take note of this, and allow your fellow traders some leeway when it comes to receiving your games.

Please make sure to read through all the rules and pay attention to all posted dates/times. You MUST have a Canadian mailing address at which you can receive packages in order to participate in this Math Trade.

For anyone new to Math Trades be sure to check out the following thread for a video tutorial on math trades, or the newbies FAQ.

Math Trade Video Tutorials
Math Trade Walkthrough/FAQ for newbies

Trade Geeklist: Canadian Math Trade - Free Shipping October 2019 Edition - Trade Geeklist

Request GeekList: Canadian Math Trade - Free Shipping October 2019 Edition - Request List

Submissions Dates/Times:

Posting Games: Now until Thursday Sept 26th 11:00 PM EDT

Want List Submissions: Thursday Sept 26th 11:00 PM EDT to Sunday Sept 29th 11:00 PM EDT

Results posted shortly thereafter.

Rules (Please read carefully):

1. Board Games, RPG's, Video Games and items outside the scope of BGG are all permitted.

2. NO gift certificates are permitted for this trade. The intent here is to trade games for games. If you're looking to buy/sell games then go use the BGG marketplace.

3. Non-game entries must be added using "Outside the Scope of BGG" (Game ID 23953). Make sure to use the +altname+ brief description -altname- format in the description of your item for it to properly show up in the OLWLG.

4. You must describe the condition of your games as accurately as possible. This includes both the box and it's contents. All Games must have conditions listed according to the guidelines here.

5. You must clearly state the editions and languages of all games posted. Do not just state "edition as posted", as pictures do not show up in the OLWLG.

6. You shall be required to cover full shipping to any location within Canada.

7. Please do NOT include links to any other games (or items) in your entries that are not included in that listing, so that they are not misleadingly displayed as sweeteners in the OLWLG.

8. Use of the On-Line Want List Generator (OLWLG) is required for submissions. Refer to the following document for help: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

9. If you have been reported as a bad trader, do NOT try to participate. Any entries made will be removed. Do not try to circumvent the rules as your entries will also be removed.

10. Any other questions or issues, just ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thyssen
Canada
Sparta
ON
flag msg tools
adamthyssen.com
badge
adamthyssen.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried my best to work around the SHUX math trade closing around the same time as this one. Since the first free shipping Tuesday falls on the 1st of October, I figured it would be best to have results on the Sunday night, giving eager participants a full day to get their games packaged and ready to go for the next day.

I'm also hopeful to have not excluded any of the SHUX math traders, since they'll have an additional day to blank the wantlist of anything that might have traded in the SHUX trade, allowing them to potentially participate in both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Savoy
msg tools
What do you mean by don't include links to other games? For example, if I want to trade my copy of Blood Rage with Mystics and 5th Player, I shouldn't include them as Sweeteners?

Please clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thyssen
Canada
Sparta
ON
flag msg tools
adamthyssen.com
badge
adamthyssen.com
mbmbmbmbmb
TeveshCKP wrote:
What do you mean by don't include links to other games? For example, if I want to trade my copy of Blood Rage with Mystics and 5th Player, I shouldn't include them as Sweeteners?

Please clarify.

Whenever you post a game in a math trade listing, the OLWLG assumes that it is being included in the bundle of your offer and lists it accordingly. Therefore anyone browsing the OLWLG sees only that your bundle includes anything that you've listed with a "[thing]" tag.

So in your example, hypothetically if you were listing only the Mystics and 5th Player expansion, you'd be fine to type out the words Blood Rage - but if you linked to the item thusly Blood Rage, it would display as being a bundle of three items instead of just the two you're intending to list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Savoy
msg tools
I'm not understanding this.

So, let's say I submit Blood Rage. And within the body of the text, I put the following:

Box: Very Good. Whitened corners, one scuffed.
Contents: Very Good
Publisher: CMON
Language: English
Notes: Custom Foam Core Insert.

Sweetener: Mystics of Midgard Expansion
Box: None, within Blood Rage

Sweetener: 5th Player Expansion

This would be incorrect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thyssen
Canada
Sparta
ON
flag msg tools
adamthyssen.com
badge
adamthyssen.com
mbmbmbmbmb
TeveshCKP wrote:

So, let's say I submit Blood Rage. And within the body of the text, I put the following:

Box: Very Good. Whitened corners, one scuffed.
Notes: Custom Foam Core Insert.

Sweetener: Mystics of Midgard Expansion

Sweetener: 5th Player Expansion

This would be incorrect?

That would be perfect.

Maybe the boilerplate should be updated to read:

"Please do NOT include links to any other games (or items) in your entries that are not included in that listing, so that they are not misleadingly displayed as sweeteners in the OLWLG."

Would that make it clearer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Savoy
msg tools
Very much.

The way it is written makes me think that I shouldn't include Sweeteners. Steal BGB's language, they're pretty clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohit Sharma
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello,
I would like to de-list a game that I have listed in this math trade. What is the best way of doing it without screwing up the geeklist?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maadaputtar wrote:
Hello,
I would like to de-list a game that I have listed in this math trade. What is the best way of doing it without screwing up the geeklist?
Thanks!

The online wantlist generator supports deletions, so you could just delete from the geeklist and it will be removed on the next sync.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cott
Canada
North York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carnage994 wrote:
The online wantlist generator supports deletions, so you could just delete from the geeklist and it will be removed on the next sync.

This. Alternatively (since I know many people get irked when things are deleted for varying reasons) you can also just change it to "Outside of BGG Scope", scrap all the lines, and submit a blank want-list. Sometimes people just like know what's been removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MHCott wrote:
Carnage994 wrote:

This. Alternatively (since I know many people get irked when things are deleted for varying reasons) you can also just change it to "Outside of BGG Scope", scrap all the lines, and submit a blank want-list. Sometimes people just like know what's been removed.

Though now the OWLG does highlight any changes that were made to games you added to your list. So even on deletions you will get notified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cott
Canada
North York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it actually tell you what's deleted though? I've always seen it shorten the line to nothing and still leave it in place, and then I've manually deleted it. But it never tells me WHAT it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I don't remember anymore. I thought it would show the before and after, with the after being blank. But I may be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Moo
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is a silly question but this is my first math trade. I added my games to the geeklist and selected my wants but when I go to step 4, it's not showing my items to the right of the items I want in order to check them off. Do my items need to be approved by a moderator or something like that before I can do that step? Thanks in advance for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter L
Canada
Markham
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OxBaker wrote:
Sorry if this is a silly question but this is my first math trade. I added my games to the geeklist and selected my wants but when I go to step 4, it's not showing my items to the right of the items I want in order to check them off. Do my items need to be approved by a moderator or something like that before I can do that step? Thanks in advance for the help!

The OLWLG needs to be manually synced. The organizer needs to do this every so often. Until it gets synced, it will only show the items that were added to the list since the last sync. But just be patient and wait for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorage wrote:
TeveshCKP wrote:

*snip*

That would be perfect.
*snip*

Thanks for clarifying the formatting for sweeteners. I could never get my sweeteners to show up the way others' did (so that the OLWLG would identify them against someone's Want List).

Um, this formatting would do that, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gibson
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Le Joker
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you for arranging this Adam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Moo
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another newbie question Can any of you who have participated in a lot of these trades give me a really rough idea of how many of my trades I could expect to go through when I'm done based on the following conditions...

1) It looks like this math trade will probably end up with somewhere around 40 pages of games when it closes at this rate.
2) I'll have a want list of ~25-30 games
3) I'm currently trading 6 separate games and matching them up with any of my wanted games of roughly the same or more value. I know that's subjective but just say that's generally what I'm trying to do and I'm not overvaluing my own games.

Is the formula that these math trade use good enough with this kind of spread that I can expect most or all my games to trade or do you usually end up with some games that don't get arranged for trade? I'm just trying to get an idea because although I'll honor all trades that occur, I'd be tempted to add more games if I could estimate that roughly only 5 or 6 of my trades will actually go through (ie. the limit of the free shipping in Oct). Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter L
Canada
Markham
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OxBaker wrote:
Another newbie question Can any of you who have participated in a lot of these trades give me a really rough idea of how many of my trades I could expect to go through when I'm done based on the following conditions...

1) It looks like this math trade will probably end up with somewhere around 40 pages of games when it closes at this rate.
2) I'll have a want list of ~25-30 games
3) I'm currently trading 6 separate games and matching them up with any of my wanted games of roughly the same or more value. I know that's subjective but just say that's generally what I'm trying to do and I'm not overvaluing my own games.

Is the formula that these math trade use good enough with this kind of spread that I can expect most or all my games to trade or do you usually end up with some games that don't get arranged for trade? I'm just trying to get an idea because although I'll honor all trades that occur, I'd be tempted to add more games if I could estimate that roughly only 5 or 6 of my trades will actually go through (ie. the limit of the free shipping in Oct). Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Here's the results from the last one about a month ago when shipping was NOT free:
https://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid...

How many trades occur really depends on how "loose" or how "tight" people's want lists are. Obviously, the more you put out there, and the less restrictive you make your want lists, the more likely it MIGHT get traded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter L
Canada
Markham
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OxBaker wrote:
I'm just trying to get an idea because although I'll honor all trades that occur, I'd be tempted to add more games if I could estimate that roughly only 5 or 6 of my trades will actually go through (ie. the limit of the free shipping in Oct). Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

The secret to sending out more mailings is to apply for more than one business account with Canada Post .... whistlewhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Moo
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enigma0t2 wrote:
Here's the results from the last one about a month ago when shipping was NOT free:
https://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid...

How many trades occur really depends on how "loose" or how "tight" people's want lists are. Obviously, the more you put out there, and the less restrictive you make your want lists, the more likely it MIGHT get traded.
That definitly helped. So looking at the numbers it seems to be easily below half the games people listed get traded. So I'd really be safe bumping the number of games I list to ~10 if I wanted to aim for 5 to trade. Provided I'm willing to take the risk of having to pay shipping on more than 5 if I'm "lucky" enough to trade more than half my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Dent
Canada
ON
flag msg tools
badge
"I aim to misbehave."
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't decided for certain if I'm in for this one yet. This would be my first shipping trade. I've done a few no-ship trades before.

I did post some requests (page 5 if you're curious.) There's a couple that would pretty much force me to participate if they were to happen to appear in the trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thyssen
Canada
Sparta
ON
flag msg tools
adamthyssen.com
badge
adamthyssen.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up in the trade geek list with respect to responsibility for damages during shipping, but I figured it was worthwhile posting here as well for anyone who doesn't follow it closely.

The free shipping promo covers Xpresspost and Expedited Parcel - both of which come automatically with insurance (up to $100 I believe).

So in the event of any damage, no one has to worry about being responsible - CanadaPost will be on the hook.

Now, don't treat this as a license to just wrap your games in kraft paper and slap a label on it. Just peace of mind that any issues will be taken care of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lutz
Canada
Chilliwack
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorage wrote:
This came up in the trade geek list with respect to responsibility for damages during shipping, but I figured it was worthwhile posting here as well for anyone who doesn't follow it closely.

The free shipping promo covers Xpresspost and Expedited Parcel - both of which come automatically with insurance (up to $100 I believe).

So in the event of any damage, no one has to worry about being responsible - CanadaPost will be on the hook.

Now, don't treat this as a license to just wrap your games in kraft paper and slap a label on it. Just peace of mind that any issues will be taken care of.

Otherwise it should be noted, the shipper is responsible for how the game arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thyssen
Canada
Sparta
ON
flag msg tools
adamthyssen.com
badge
adamthyssen.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mancora wrote:
Jorage wrote:

Otherwise it should be noted, the shipper is responsible for how the game arrives.

100% agree. If you as the sender elect to ship without insurance, it doesn't matter how well it was packaged, the onus will be on you to make it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |