Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion is out!

I was a playtester on the expansion, here are my thoughts on the cards after nearly six months of playtesting.

FIRST, THE SETUP CHANGES AND A BRIEF OVERVIEW:

While you can certainly play with just the expansion cards, the intended design is to combine the two and randomly select a group of Leaders and Wonders from both the base game and the expansion (the selected cards are known before the game starts so you can plan accordingly). With twice as many to choose from, the pool of cards in play has expanded a bit: you now choose 7 Leaders and 5 Wonders for each age (in 2p, you still choose 4/6 for each age).

A couple of big-picture notes: first, there is A LOT more culture production with the expansion, particularly in Age II. During playtesting, it wasn’t uncommon to see multiple players in the 20’s in terms of culture production by game-end.

Second, there are a couple of gameplay principles driven into the new cards that have definitely changed the value of some underused cards in the past, notably the value of Blue Tokens and Masonry has increased somewhat (more the former than the latter). I’ll get into details as to why when discussing the specific cards, but know that cards like Wealthy I and Justice System have gone up in value.

Finally, there are eight more yellow tokens from non-colony sources in the game. This is a major change since the only way to get yellows in the base game (aside from Alexander) was from colonies.

REBALANCED CARDS:
Before we get to the expansion, I’d like to outline some changes to the base game cards that will be shipped with the expansion.

Colossus:
At the start of Age II & III, draw three military cards

This is a decent buff for Colossus, a Wonder I’ve felt was maligned anyway, but now it’s actually okay. You’re guaranteed the Age II draw, which means three free cards for those valuable Age II tactics, or potentially an Age II colony for Columbus or Suez Canal. It’s also a bit of a culture boost for Eleanor of Aquitaine. The Age III draw is about impacts (and maybe defense cards), since Age III tactics aren’t as efficient as their Age II counterparts. There’s also the chance that Colossus gets crumbled by Ravages of Time before you have a chance at the draw, but it’s still great Ravages fodder in a post Age III context.

Hanging Gardens:
Gain two food upon completion
Hanging Gardens was the weakest Age A wonder. The problem was the benefit wasn’t really useful until Age II, and you want your Age A wonder to help immediately. The fact that HG was the worst Age A wonder to get crumbled by Ravages made it especially risky, since you need to either protect it with an Age I wonder or have backup happiness at the ready in case you lose it. The two food is an interesting, if subtle, buff. Finally, there is a capability to give you a population tempo advantage over opponents without Moses… having Moses just accelerates your ability to get more pop out (if you can manage the corruption).

Hammurabi:
No longer gives a CA discount for taking a Leader from the card row

No more Take Leader-Revolt-Change Leader-Take Taj Mahal-Have a CA left over mega turn for Ham. He’s still excellent, but losing the leader discount is an important nerf.

Julius Caesar:
JC’s double political action ability is no longer limited to once per game.

You can now do it on every single turn. This makes JC an event-deck supercharger, and makes him worth potentially more culture, to boot. This ability also acts as another nerf to Hammurabi, since the danger of a double aggression is present as long as JC is active. It’s a solid buff to one of the worst leaders in the base game. JC now settles among the middle tier of Age A Leaders quite comfortably, and I’m happy to take him now, whereas before, I would only take him if I had no other choice.

Michelangelo:
+1 culture for happy faces on all urban buildings and wonders, gain 1 resource when you take a wonder

Michelangelo is a bit misunderstood. There’s nothing about his abilities that prevents you from keeping up militarily, but if you go whole hog into culture-producing urbans, you can get annihilated. His real power was always in taking wonders, and though he’s situational, when you get him rolling with Iron and Masonry, Michelangelo can be incredible. Even so, now he has been buffed in two ways.

The first is you get culture for each of your happy faces for Arenas, too. This is a pretty nice boost to Bread & Circuses and/or Team Sports, which have also received further buffs from new expansion leaders.

The extra resource for taking Wonders is a fine little bonus. Provided you have the CAs to avoid corruption, Mike now gives you a one-rock discount AND his CA discount on wonders. Neat.

The HG buff works particularly well with Mike now, since the extra pop you gain from the food can be put toward military units, mitigating the problems some people might have trying to assemble a culture engine with him.

St. Peter’s Basilica
Cost structure changed to (1-6-1)

This is a pretty big nerf for what is commonly held to be the single best card in the game. For two 4-rock steps, St. Pete’s was trivial to complete for almost any player in Bronze, and gave a ton of culture and permanent happiness solution. Now it’s an extra step and the middle step is six rocks. This puts a premium on Engineering Genius I (not that it wasn’t a strong card to begin with), but more importantly it doesn’t make St. Pete’s an auto pick in almost all circumstances. It’s still the wonder with the best in-game effect, but making it harder to build means you must consider easier-to-complete wonders.

Napoleon:
Now only grants 1 Military Action

Mercifully, Napoleon has been nerfed down to granting only 1 MA (his strength bonuses remain the same). He’s still very good, but he might not be the best leader in Age II anymore. He’s certainly not an autopick for 3 CAs.

William Shakespeare:
Discounts have increased to (-3) science and (-2) rocks on theater or library tech.

While this is certainly nice, the major buff for Shakespeare are the extra yellow tokens that are now in game. With Hippocrates, Roman Roads, or Statue of Liberty, Shakespeare is doable if you can get at least one of the two required techs rolling in Age I. And with his 2-rock discount, Printing Presses are free with Masonry or Archtecture, which can be pretty nuts. Shakespeare is still highly situational, but the circumstances which make him useful are slightly more common, and when he’s working, only Sid Meier and Ian Fleming can match his output.

JS Bach:
JS Bach now gives 2 culture per turn in addition to his other abilities

Though superior to Shakespeare in the base game, Bach was always situational. Now, with the 2-culture boost and the extra yellows, Bach has become an excellent Age II leader. A single Drama plus Bach is worth 5 culture per turn. For 1 science and 1 rock to upgrade a Religion to a Drama, this is a major boost. Additionally, if you can’t get theaters online, hey, at least you got the 2 culture per turn.

One of the weird side effects of the Bach Buff, however, is how it nerfs the transition into Chaplin in Age III. A single Opera + Bach = 6 culture per turn, which is the same as Chaplin. But two Operas + Bach = 10/turn, but only 9 for Chaplin.

Republic:
Cost changed to 11 (3)
Republic now costs 11 science for a peaceful transition. A much-needed buff for a government that is objectively worse than the formerly-cheaper Constitutional Monarchy. The revolution cost remains at 3, but the presence of a Acropolis makes this potentially not as strong in some cases.

Ocean Liner Service
Cost structure changed to (4-1-1-4), +1 Yellow token

My playstyle doesn’t usually mesh with Ocean Liner, but the yellow token is good buff. It’s very easy to delve too deep into your yellow bank with this wonder, and (at least in a 2p game), opponents are incentivized to deny you farm tech if you’re stuck in Agriculture. Making it the cheapest Age II wonder is good, too, particularly if you have Architecture.

Transcontinental Railroad
Strength bonus now +5

TCR is now back to the strength boost that it gave in Old Story, though it’s still a 4-step build.

Gandhi
Opponents must now spend +3 MAs for a war or aggression against Gandhi rather than x2 MAs.

This is a sizeable buff to Gandhi, as Infiltrate costs 5 MAs and Plunder costs a whopping 4. War over Culture is still the same 6 MAs, but softening Gandhi up for an attack is much harder now, particularly since Napoleon lost an MA.

Professional Sports
One additional strength (+4 strength each)

There are many new cards that buff arenas, and Pro Sports itself gets a strength buff, making two Age III arenas as good as an Age II tactic.

Communism 18(1)
+1 resource

Fundamentalism 16 (5)
+1 additional strength (+6 strength total)

Democracy aside, the Age III governments are weak. They’re expensive to research, and having a Revolution in Age III is often a bad move. Now Communism and Fundamentalism get a buff. Communism is interesting because it puts Iron players in the position of getting 7-rocks per turn, which is kind of the income breakpoint for most builds and upgrades in Age III (particularly for the military units), and wow, who knew that Churchill’s preferred mode of governance would be Communism after all?

I’m not yet convinced that lowering the revolution costs will do much of anything, since the cost of revolting in Age III is more about losing an entire turn than it is about the science cost. Though it does make Max a bit more enticing to keep around if you can get into Communism for 1 science.

Fundamentalism was okay with the flash 5 strength… Lowering the peaceful change is, of course, fine (it’s a worse government than Democracy, so it’s higher cost never made much sense), I’m not sure +1 strength is going to be the difference in many WoCs.

ADDED CARDS

In order to bring the yellow card count up to snuff, some yellow cards have been added to the 3p & 4p game. I don’t have a comprehensive list, but a few examples are an extra Revolutionary Idea and Patriotism in Age III.

Additionally, an extra Republic, Professional Sports, and Military Theory have all been added to the 3p game. The second 3p Republic creates an odd situation where there are more Age II governments than players in the game.

The second Pro Sports was much-needed in Age III to help with happiness issues, and Arenas have received a significant buff due to some new Leaders. The second MT card has a lot of major implications in a 3p game in the military game, mitigating the MA denial strategy that can be so effective.

AND NOW… THE NEW CARDS
Okay enough of the old cards, let’s get to the new cards. Age by age:
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AGE A LEADERS

As a group, the new Age A Leaders are all reasonably strong and varied. Three are infrastructure boosts, one gives population, one science, and one military leader.

Ashoka
If you have civil cards of two colors in your hand, produce 1 extra rock. If you have civil cards of three colors in your hand, produce 1 extra rock and 1 extra food.

No leader changes your Age I playstyle more than Ashoka. Because you can’t spin him up very quickly, you’re not going to see a flood of resources into your civ the way you might expect. Like Moses, Ashoka can lead to corruption issues and greatly benefits from extra CAs for similar reasons that Aristotle does. Realistically, Ashoka is worth 2-3 rock and 1-2 food while you have him as your leader. A nice influx of rock and food early, to be sure, and since he encourages you to take more cards (unlike Moses), you can often put those resources to good use if you have the CAs. There are some games where you can spin out more resources, and some where you’ll get next to nothing out of him.

Ashoka is maddeningly card-row dependent in a way no other leader really is.

Boudica
At the start of your turn, choose one: 1 science, 1 rock, or 1 food. If you are one of the two weakest, gain 2 rocks for building military instead.

Boudica’s Age 1 flexibility is very strong, unless your opponents are driving early military strength at the expense of infrastructure gains. She’s better at 4p than at 2 or 3, since you have more opportunity to use the more flexible resources. A free Warrior is okay, but there are only so many Warriors you might want to build, so as often as not, you’ll ignore the 2 rock she grants if you’re one of the two weakest. Finishing Colossus quickly helps her stay ahead of the pack in this way.

You’ll probably end up taking science most often, but the flexibility allows you to take just what you need on the turn you need it. She’s an excellent Age A Leader, one of the best in the expansion.

Confucius
Gain 1 science each time you seed an event. You may seed non-event military cards as an event “All Players Gain 1 Science.” When Confucius leaves play, Gain 1 science.

Confucius is potentially worth twice as much science as Aristotle. The trade-off is you can’t control the tempo. If you manage to max him out, he can be worth 10 science, which would crazy if you were guaranteed to get it all in Age I. Aristotle is typically 2-4 science, but there are cases where Aristotle’s ability to pop two science in a turn is better than Confucius’s seeding ability. Confucius adds value those Age I aggressions and extra tactics since you can seed them as events, though I’m not thrilled at giving opponents science.

In an earlier thread, I argued Confucius was weaker than Aristotle because of his reliance on the event deck and his granting science to opponents, but I’m coming around on him. Realistically, he’s worth 6-8 science and 3-4 culture which is basically like having LoA in Age 1. I now think he’s quite good.

Cleopatra
Each turn, you get 1 resource for building Wonders or building or upgrading Urban Buildings.

Less flexible and with less potential power than Boudica, butmore consistently useful on a turn-to-turn/game-to-game basis depending on your opponents. Cleopatra really shuffles your early turn structure around as she affords consistently different T2/T3 options. The drip-drip-drip of resources means maximizing her requires action management and delaying some key benefits.

There is an upper limit of urban buildings you will build with Cleopatra (a second Philosophy, maybe two lab upgrades to Alchemy, and perhaps a happiness building of some sort).

There is a laundry list of opportunity costs if you decide to delay finishing your Wonder for an extra rock next turn. You can also get caught in a bit of a trap of keeping her around too long to complete another Wonder.

Hippocrates
At the start of your turn, take one yellow token from the yellow bank and place it above your Government (max. 3). At each Age change, place one of those yellow tokens into your yellow bank.

You may not get immediate access to the yellow tokens with Hippocrates the way you do with Alexander, but losing only one yellow token at each Age change has major population implications. Hippocrates combos particularly nicely with most of the new Wonders, since population is always at a premium. Probably the best new Age A Leader.

Sun Tzu
+1 Strength, Draw two extra Military cards. You skip making tactics public on your turn. When Sun Tzu leaves play, slide this card under your current tactic. It adds +1 strength to that tactic for the rest of the game.

Sun Tzu is a military card-drawing maniac. True, you won’t get to keep most of cards, but it’s 50% more effective in digging for colonies for Columbus or a tactic for Genghis than an extra MA is. The tactics bonus is strange, since opponents get to share in the benefit once Sun Tzu dies and his tactic becomes public. He gives no unique long-term boost to his civ like literally every other Age A leader. This weird quirk makes Sun Tzu the weakest Age A leader overall.

AGE A WONDERS

The new Age A wonders are a mishmash. Three of the four have a 2-rock first step, meaning you can use Engineering Genius A and still build a third bronze mine on T2. There are also two four-step wonders with multiple one-rock steps, generating potential corruption issues when you can least afford them.

Acropolis (2-3)
+1 Strength, +1 Culture; Your Urban Building limit is one higher. Peaceful change of Government costs 1 science less for each Urban Building you have.

The fact that Acropolis is the cheapest overall wonder in the game should tell you something. It’s very weak. The culture is fine, and the strength has marginal benefits in the early game toward event resolution. However, its major benefit isn’t really felt until closer to Age III. It’s certainly reasonable to expect three Urbans in Age I and being able to research Monarchy for 5 or Theocracy for 3 (nice values for both, by the way). But it isn’t until the dawn of Age III when you have 4-5 Urban buildings (or more) and you can get into Democracy for 12 science or less.

If you stumble upon more yellow tokens, building a third Philosophy in Despotism can be useful if you missed out on Alchemy and Printing Press. +3 science is a good Age I income, and it helps get into a Government for cheap. Hippocrates combos okay with this, granting extra population to be able to stretch things a bit further than you normally would.

Of course, it’s susceptible to Ravages of Time, which means you might not even get a chance to get that science discount in Age III. Risky and weird, inarguably the weakest Age A Wonder.

Colosseum (2-1-3)
+ 1 Happiness, +1 Military Action; Infantry and Cavalry technologies get science discounts equal to their level. Gain 2 culture when you discover these technologies.

The best of the new Age A wonder crop, Colosseum takes its place alongside Pyramids and LoA as a top-tier Age A wonder. It gives you a lot of benefits for a military build, and with Irrigation Barbarossa can become your opponents’ worst nightmare. If Colosseum survives to Age III, the science discounts can be huge. If you have Churchill, Tanks cost 3 science , which, um… yikes.

Roman Roads (2-1-1-1)
+1 Blue Token, +1 Yellow Token; Age I: Produce +1 Rock; Age II: Produce +1 Science; Age III/IV: Produce +2 Culture

Roman Roads is the least focused Wonder in the game. It’s just… a little bit of everything. The four steps-to-build is a very steep cost, and is not really offset by the fact that it only costs 5 rocks to build. It’s also one of 5 new Wonders that takes 4 (or 5) steps to build, so unless you have a very early Masonry, you either kill most of (or an entire) Age I turn completing it in one go or it costs at least 2 more rocks than its actual cost due to corruption. The rock production it provides, in that case, may end up as little more than a slow refund on your corruption payment, but in practice you basically have a wonder equivalent of a revolution to finish it.

The benefits in and of themselves are all good, and come at the right time. Love the yellow token, of course.

Stonehenge (1-2-2-1)
+1 Culture, +1 Happiness; Immediately gain science equal to the step cost each time you build a step of Stonehenge

Another 4-step Age A wonder, but this one really pays off early. Six science in Age I is a massive windfall, and in some ways it’s superior to LoA in that converting six science now can be more beneficial than getting 14-16 science over the course of the entire game. It has the same culture production as LoA and a happy face, to boot.

You can do a lot of manipulation with the science influx, too. Need one science to discover Code of Laws right now? Build a step, get your CA and continue on with your turn. There are a lot of possibilities here.

The one happy face is useful and manageable to replace if it gets crumbed by Ravages.

AGE A MILITARY CARDS

Development of Planning
Draw three Age A Military cards that are not in the game. Execute one of those cards of your choice.

Yeah, pretty cool. Not much to say, here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AGE 1 LEADERS

The base game Age 1 leaders are almost all terrific. Even Michelangelo in a skilled-players civ could wreak havoc. The new Age 1 leaders are a bit more of a mixed bag. Some are generally useful most games, but not very interesting (Saladin), others are average (Isabelle), and others still are just flat weak (Nostradamus).

Nostradamus
+3 culture when seeding an event. When an opponent seeds an event, look at it. You have +3 strength when evaluating events determining who is the weakest and +3 strength for defending against aggressions

Maybe the weakest new Age I leader overall, the culture benefit isn’t really worth it to seed events that might end up screwing you later on, and his ability to see the future events isn’t nearly as useful as Joan’s.

Note that the event-related strength bonus is only for evaluating events that are specifically determining the weakest, so he helps with Reign of Terror, but not with Foray (since Foray is only concerned with who is the strongest). There are events which you can simultaneously be both the weakest and the strongest, which makes for some wonky situations.

The +3 defense does allow you to delay some military builds, particularly if you have 3 MAs. If you ca use that edge to build out infrastructure into Age 2. If you whiff on the key red techs, that +3 could bail you out from aggressive opponents.

Saladin
At the end of your turn choose one: +2 strength or +1 Civil Action. Either lasts until your next choice or until Saladin leaves play

The “hey, I’m always useful!” Age I leader of the bunch, Saladin requires no special build to take advantage of. The CA benefit allows you to skip Code of Laws and comfortably wait for an Age II government, and the +2 strength can nudge you ahead of your opponents for events. Just a good all-around leader and one I’m almost always happy to have.

Eleanor of Aquitaine
When you seed an event, draw two military cards. Gain 1 culture for each military card you discard in the production phase. When you replace Eleanor, get three Civil Actions back instead of one.

Confucius and Nostradamus can backfire because their benefit relies exclusively on seeding events deck, but Eleanor is much stronger. Why? Because her benefit is tied to drawing more military cards.

With three MAs, Eleanor is an extraordinary culture producer and event deck-controller. She benefits from some events in ways that no one else does (it turns Development of Politics into culture, and she benefits from getting hit with Call to Arms because of the culture production and her leader change ability). She is also a sneaky-good colonizer since she can dig for bonus cards.

But her most insane ability is drawing up to five military cards per turn in Age II.

And gaining three CAs back upon a leader change means you can draft and change leaders, draft a Government, and still have a revolution in Age II. Eleanor is sneaky strong.

Jan Zizka
+1 Military Action; Your farms count as Age A Infantry or Artillery for the purposes of tactics. Each army produces +1 culture.

It’s a good thing there are no Age I wars, because Jan Zizka would annihilate everyone in his path. He can spin up to astonishingly high Age I military levels faster than even Barbarossa. In my experience, Zizka is the only leader that can reliably fire off an Age I aggression.

Zizka makes building a third farm a legitimate Age I consideration and can become a headache for opponents with the right tactic.

Much like Genghis, you need a military plan once you swap Zizka out.

Johannes Gutenberg:
Each turn you have 1 extra Civil Action for taking or researching Library or Lab technologies or building, or upgrading Libraries or Labs. You get a discount of 1 science or 1 rock and 2 culture for this action.

Gutenberg makes you make a choice: build your Alchemies/Printing Presses at the normal rate, or slowly do it over the course of three or four turns for 6-8 culture. Get him early enough (say because you cashed in Alexander for the yellow token on T2) and you can use him to build your second Philosophy, too. He also makes Border Conflict or an Age I raid more palatable since you’ll get a CA, a rock discount, and score some points for re-building the lost lab or library.

The extra CA is super useful in Age I because these are techs and buildings you’re allocating for science builds anyway. The trade-off is your science production doesn’t really ramp up as quickly, and he’s pretty useless if you’ve already built an Alchemy or PP before taking him.

Isabelle of Castille
+2 Blue tokens; Produce 1 extra rock; During colonization you can spend 1/3/6 rocks for +1/2/3 colonization bonus

Isabelle is infrastructure and colonizing all in one. She allows you to stockpile resources and gives a Navigation-level boost to your colonization (for 6 rocks, of course).

I find her to be average, though, and take her only when the other options are thin. Her biggest problem is her colonization benefit can leave you resource poor for replenishing your sacrificed units. Even with the extra rock production, Isabelle really wants Iron for this reason.

AGE I WONDERS

Generally, I find the Age 1 wonders to be the least interesting set of cards in the expansion. One brings sacrificing units back from Old Story (Himeji Castle), one is a much worse Pyramids, and one is just corruption in wonder form.

Forbidden City (1-3-3-1)
+1 Civil Action; Ignore 2 discontented workers

Kind of like Hanging Gardens and Pyramids smashed together, though ignoring discontented workers is—strictly speaking—not the same as two Happy Faces (this is a key distinction for events evaluation for things like Immigration or Prosperity).

The real problem with Forbidden City is that its value is largely dependent on when it appears. If it comes right at the Age I changeover, grabbing it can solve a lot of problems if you whiff on Pyramids (provided you get another Age I Wonder later on as Ravages protection).

More downsides: You will feel the lack of culture production that most Age I Wonders grant, the four-step build makes corruption difficult to avoid, and it’s a nightmare to lose to Ravages.

Himeji Castle (4-5)
+2 Strength, +2 Culture; When evaluating a war or aggression, you may sacrifice a unit to temporarily gain its strength. +3 culture if attacking; +3 strength if defending

The strongest new defensive card in the game, and probably the best new Age 1 wonder, Himjei gives +6 strength (minimum!) when defending. This is better than any single unit in the game with the exception of an Air Force. The culture production is the same as St. Pete’s.

It’s less effective as an offensive wonder, and can lead to some weird late-game situations where you fire off an aggression you know can’t succeed simply for the culture.

Still, it’s annoying when your opponents have this, and pretty great when you do.

Machu Picchu (2-3-4)
+1 blue token; Your best Age A or Age I mine and farm each produce one extra blue token

If you have both Iron and Irrigation online, Machu Picchu is a berserk resource blitz for your civ into Age II. You can use the extra production for yet more Wonders or expensive Age II urbans, or you can save on population and move some workers over to wherever you think they’re needed.

If you’re stuck in Bronze and Agriculture, then it’s just okay, the value goes down, particularly since Machu Picchu doesn’t work with Coal/Oil or Selective Breeding/Mechanized Agriculture.

There’s also the edge case of getting this and Transcontinental Railroad in the same game and having one/two workers produce six/eight rocks on Iron, which is pretty nuts.

Pretty good Ravages fodder, particularly if you upgrade to Age II or III farms and mines.

Silk Road (2-1-1-1-2)
+2 Culture, +1 Science; The first yellow card you play each turn gives you one extra of each benefit it provides. This power is active as soon as you build Silk Road’s first step

One of two new 5-step wonders in the game, Silk Road gives players a treasure chest of benefits… provided you have the CAs to get and use lots of yellow cards. It is corruption in Wonder form, particularly since it tries to trap you into delaying the build since you can use the yellow card boost upon building the first step. But you want to finish this Wonder quickly so you can get that culture and science income, and avoid having your resources drained from your civ.

As a wonder it’s okay. The culture is St. Pete’s/Himeji level, the science boost is marginal, but can get you to the critical 4-income level if you have LoA as an Age A wonder. The special ability is mediocre unless you also have Harvard College, though it does give you 2 MAs for Patriotism, which is probably its best feature.

AGE I MILITARY CARDS

Kidnapping
Take one Civil Card from your opponent. +3 culture if you use the card this turn

Getting hit with Kidnapping can really ruin your day. Very little is more upsetting than having Strategy stolen from you. Luckily, there’s only one in the military deck.

Naval Trade Agreement
Side A: -1 blue token, +1 colonization; side B: +2 blue tokens

Interesting asymmetric pact, the blue tokens are of much more consistent use than the situational, but potentially strong colonization bonus. Corruption is a nefarious drain on resources in the early game, and the ability to use a CA or MA more efficiently because you don’t have to burn rocks is quite nice in Age I. The +1 colonization isn’t much, but costs nothing and combos particularly nicely with Colossus. The loss of blue token for Side A can be offset by Wealthy I.

Knowledge of the Ancestors
Gain 1 science for each completed wonder, and 1 rock for each uncompleted wonder. Double these bonuses for Age A wonders

A great event for Michelangelo, but mostly another (weaker) Scientific Breakthrough. Not much else to say about this one.

Dark Ages
All players lose half the amount of science in excess of 4 (rounded up)

The rats/pestilence of Science, particularly painful to get hit with if you have Confucius or Stonehenge (or both). If it triggers in Age II, the low-producing science hoarders waiting for ConMon will be totally screwed, while Newton will be humming along next turn.

Call to Arms

The weakest player immediately spends 2 civil actions to gain 2 military cards. The second weakest player immediately spends 1 civil action to gain military card/

It’s never ideal to lose CAs. Rebellion can really ruin your day. But Call to Arms isn’t simply a strength-based Rebellion. Particularly in Age II, the weakest player can benefit by stumbling into a great Age II tactic.

The event is also a culture producer for Eleanor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AGE II LEADERS
I love the new Age II leaders. As a group, they are definitely stronger than the ones in the base game. Some are situational, but crazy strong on their best day (James Watt), others are just… well, you’ll see:

Alfred Nobel
+2 Strength, +2 Science; When you replace Nobel place him next to the Science track. For the rest of the game, any time a player researches two or more technologies on a turn, they receive 4 culture at the end of that turn. You do not get a CA back when replacing Nobel.

The best new Age II leader with a bullet. A case could be made that Nobel is even better than Napoleon. He requires absolutely no setup and grants a crucial amount of science when 4-6 per turn can really swing your game. With careful planning, you can really pull a lot of Age III culture out of him if you manage to get Einstein or Steve Jobs. Yes, everyone benefits from the Nobel Prize of 4 culture, but his Age II upside is so high it’s well worth gifting the scoring opportunity to everyone.

To benefit from the Nobel Prize culture, you have to actually replace Nobel. If he gets hit with Iconoclasm or removed via Infiltrate (or dies in Age IV), there is no culture for discovering techs.

Antoni Gaudi
Discovering urban building technologies costs 1 science less for each other type of urban building you have. Your best urban building of each type produces +1 culture.

Theoretically with Architecture and Iron, you can build a huge array of Urbans in your civ to pump out +4-5 culture from Gaudi, but that poses a similar problem that Shakespeare has unless you have yellow tokens to spare.

Unlike Shakespeare, Gaudi does give you something in every game. In most cases, you’re likely to have at least some labs and a temple/arena, so an effortless +2 culture per turn is there for the taking. The science discount is nice, too, and really starts to add up in Age III. You can end up with a 4-science discount on something like Multimedia for 5 science.

James Watt
Age II mines and farms cost 2 science and 2 rocks less. Age III mines and farms cost 4 science and 4 rocks less. When Watt leaves play, score culture equal to the level of your best farm or mine

James Watt is the King of Situational Dominance. In the right circumstances, Watt puts a booster rocket underneath your civ and allows you to build ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING in Age III.

The best-case scenario with Watt is an early Age III Oil and Mech Ag, but even just grabbing Coal for easy upgrades from Bronze often makes Watt excellent.

Watt is much more reliable in 3/4p games with multiple copies of the Age II brown techs up for grabs. In a 2p game, if you take Watt, you’d better be damned sure you’re getting a chance to use him.

Catherine the Great
+ 1 Military Action, + 2 Culture; Once per game as a political action, you can cause each player weaker than you to lose one yellow token. If at least one player (two players in a 4p game) lost a token, you gain one yellow token.

Catherine is great psychological torture on your opponents. With the looming specter of a stolen yellow token hanging over their heads, opponents might build inefficient military just to keep pace.

There’s a lot of panic you can incite at the Age III changeover, and even if you don’t get the yellow token, the culture production and extra MA make Catherine a terrific Age II choice.

Charles Darwin
Your temples produce one happy face less. Your labs and libraries each produce 1 culture more. Taking a technology from the Civil Card Row costs one civil action less (but not less than one).

Since Darwin penalizes temple builds, he acts as an indirect arena buff. The culture production can be really excellent, and if you have labs and libraries thanks to some extra yellow tokens, you could be looking at +4 culture per turn.

The CA bonus is good, but has diminishing usefulness based on a lot of factors:
-Cards in the first five row slots don’t get a CA bonus
-Only technology cards get the bonus
-The more CAs you have, the less useful the bonus is. Similar to Newton, Darwin is better if you’re in Theocracy than Republic.

Maria Theresa
At the start of your action phase, gain +1 rock for building or upgrading military units; +3 if you are one of the two weakest. Each time you raise or gain population, gain 1 culture and 1 science.

You need good food production (preferably from early Selective Breeding or Vast I), but Maria Theresa can really bail you out of some sticky situations.

While I’ll never complain about culture production, it’s the science and military rocks that makes Maria really shine. She’s like a mini-Age II Churchill.

AGE II WONDERS

I really like the Age II wonders. Unlike the Age A and I wonders, I find the Age II Wonders as a group are better than their base game counterparts. The only Age II Wonder that stands up to the new crop is Eiffel Tower, and as you’ll see, there are times when it’s no longer a no-brainer to go for the Parisian Culture Behemoth.

Harvard College (3-3-5)
+3 Science, +1 Culture; Once per turn you may play a yellow card the same turn you take it from the Civil Card Row

The ability to play a yellow card on the same turn you take it may not sound that great, but with 7 CAs, it can be game-warping. You can get immediate access to Patriotism and Wave of Nationalism/Military Build-Up. Those cards alone are almost worth building Harvard College. But then throw literally every other yellow card and the possibilities are amazing.

It also makes for a pretty insane combo with Silk Road. But all this is predicated on your having enough CAs to really leverage the ability. If all you have is Monarchy… it’s below average since it doesn’t combo with any Leaders.

The culture production is low for an Age II wonder, but +3 Science can be a savior for Philosophy players, and that special ability can be really, really special.

Suez Canal (4-3-2-2)
Immediately colonize a territory from your hand. Each colony you have produces one resource

Columbus as a Wonder with a partial resource rebate thanks to the production capability. A bonkers combo with Cook, and a lot of Age II territories make this an autopick.

Thanks to Isabelle, Eleanor, and Suez, colony strategies have been given a lot more heft.

Louvre Museum (4-5-4)
+2 Culture; Leave the blue tokens on this card. Each token produces +1 culture. On your turn, you may spend these tokens for 2 resources each

The Louvre produces 25% more culture than Eiffel Tower. The cost is corruption unless you managed to get blue tokens. Suddenly, Justice System, Wealthy I, and even Taj Mahal have more function when this wonder is in the game.

What makes the Louvre particularly amazing is the ability to spend the rocks in late Age III for a war or additional wonder. Just six rocks hanging out waiting for you to use them. Obviously, the later you need them, the better, but I’m sure you can find all sorts of clever ways to convert those rocks into culture, can’t you?

Statue of Liberty (7-5)
+3 Yellow Tokens; Your Government produces culture equal to its level

Statue of Liberty + Democracy = 6 culture per turn. Wow. But even with just ConMon or Republic, it’s +2 culture/turn, which is pretty good if you get it rolling early.

Three yellow tokens, too? That’s food production and happiness all rolled into one. Not as strong with an Age I government, but it incentivizes you to switch in Age III. A decent combo with Acropolis if it doesn’t get crumbled. Hard to build with Bronze, but trivial with Iron or Coal.

AGE II MILITARY CARDS

Hussars Cav-Cav
+2 strength, plus additional strength equal to the level of each army’s lowest cavalry unit

A tactic with a sliding scale of strength. +5 with tanks… +4 with Cavalrymen… +3 with Knights. It’s pretty good. Certainly better than Conquistadors.

Freedom of Movement
On your turn, you may move one worker from any mine/farm, urban building, or military technology to another. You must pay any upgrade costs and the urban building limit must be respected

My favorite new event. If you’re prepared for this event, it’s among the strongest in the game. It gives everyone the chance to be Bach… but for literally anything. You can use it as a free CA to upgrade a mine. You can use it to move a Swordsman over to a Cavalryman for a measly 2 rocks and no MAs. You can even conscript a scientist out of your Alchemy lab and shove him into an airplane for one rock and no CAs or MAs.

However, it’s easy to get caught flat-footed with nothing to move over. There’s a massive advantage to having your opponents unable to do anything with Freedom of Movement.

International Negotiations
Whomever reveals this event chooses 3 science, rocks, or food. The weakest civilization pays that to the strongest civilization. You cannot choose something the weakest doesn’t have at least 3 of

A real pain in the ass if you happen to be the weakest. Worse still if the strongest is the one to reveal it, since it’s effectively an Age I plunder that can also steal science.

Arms Industry
The technology levels of artillery, cavalry, and infantry are compared. Gain 2 rocks for each tech which you have the highest (or are tied for the highest).

This one got dropped is hot-off-the-presses new, the playtesters really didn’t get much time with this event. My initial impression is that it’s fine, usually everyone gets at least two rocks. You don’t have to apply them to military. They’re just free resources to build with on your turn.

Autonomous Territory
Permanent bonus: +1 Civil Action, +1 Military Action, -2 Blue tokens
Immediate bonus: Choose 1: 4 science, 6 food, 5 rocks, or 7 culture

At first glance, it’s amazing and seems almost OP for a colony. An MA and a CA and I get to choose what I want? When I first saw this and Suez Canal, I thought it effectively made that wonder an autopick.

But the nefarious little -2 blue tokens can really put a drain on your economy, particularly if you also happen to have Vast I or II colonized, too… and maybe you want to build the Louvre.

There are ways to mitigate this, obviously (Justice System, Wealthy Territory, Developed Territory, etc.) and the CA and MA are great to have. If you draft this, it almost makes Suez Canal like Kremlin 2.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AGE III LEADERS
Hmmm.. the new Age III leaders are okay. Some are really strong, but I don’t find any of them to be as good as Gates or Churchill. Possibly Ian Fleming in the right hands… some are just boring culture producers (Nelson Mandela) while others are weaker facsimiles of base game Leaders (Steve Jobs).

Marie Curie
Your best mine produces science equal to its level. Your best lab produces strength equal to its level. You produce culture equal to the higher of the two

One of the things people don’t like about Chaplin is how situational he is. You really need Movies to get the maximum benefit out of him, and it’s not every day you have 10 science and 11 rocks to spare to throw up the ole picture show, you know?

Marie Curie requires a similar specific build, but when you have it humming she is a BEAST, and she gives you so much more than just culture. The strength bonus from Computers is certainly a great thing, but it’s the science-producing oil rig you own that will make you appreciate Marie’s radioactive mind.

Speaking of Radioactive… her combo with the new Age III wonder Manhattan Project is devastatingly effective.

Pierre de Coubertin
Each arena produces 2 culture. Once per game, before your political action, you can declare the Olympic Games. You gain 8 culture, and until the start of your next turn, any player who plays an aggression or a war loses 8 culture

Coubertin is yet another Arena buff, this one direct. His culture is 2 per arena plus 8 for the The Olympics, which amortized over 4 turns ends up being about 4-6 culture per turn depending on Arenas.

The Olympics will deter an Armed Intervention since it causes a net -1 culture loss on the part of the aggressor, and may ward off a WoC in the right circumstances.

Nelson Mandela
+2 Culture, +1 CA. At the end of your turn, score 1 culture for each surplus happy facs. Costs three CAs extra if you have no discontented workers

Mandela’s CA penalty is pretty steep, so timing him around a key arena or temple build helps a lot. His culture production can be anywhere from mediocre to 6 per turn depending on your yellow token situation.

The CA is marginally helpful late in the game in terms of accelerating the game pace before military opponents can come steal your culture.

Mandela is another arena buff, so much so that he’s actually better with arenas than with temples. Suddenly, waiting for Pro Sports to solve happiness can potentially give you strength, culture, happiness, a CA, and a lot of benefits for impacts.

Marlene Dietrich
Your theatres produce +1 culture and +1 happy face. One of your artillery, infantry, or cavalry units counts twice for the purposes of tactics

Really, really good. Happiness, culture production, and military strength in one solid package. It’s significant that Dietrich doesn’t activate her strength bonus with Air Forces, but she can still be worth 13 strength in the right builds.

The extra happiness means you can rely on theaters for a long-term happiness solution alternative, making a functional transition point from Shakespeare and Bach without requiring St. Pete’s.

The lack of native happiness (like with Chaplin) is more than made up for with the strength bonus, and two theaters is equal to Chaplin’s happiness anyway (and just 2 fewer culture).

Steve Jobs
Your best lab produces happy faces equal to its level. Each time you develop a technology, you may pay 1 rock for 4 culture

Jobs is weird. Strictly speaking, he’s worse than Einstein, since you need to spend a rock to get the culture and in an anti-thematic twist, the godfather of the 21st century multimedia revolution doesn’t work with… Multimedia.

You can set up to score more with Jobs than with Einstein, obviously. If you’re flooded with rocks because you’re in Coal or Oil, or you have a bunch of colonies with Suez, then spending a single rock is trivial with Jobs. If the Nobel Prize is active, Jobs can score 12 culture in a turn (but Einstein can get 10… so yeah).

The Happiness is good. It can be leaned on if necessary, as even two happy faces with Scientific Method can bail you out in a pinch.

Ian Fleming
Each turn, score culture equal to the level of your best library and theater. Before you political action, you may look at one opponent’s military cards. You may not look at the same player’s hand two turns in a row.

I think Fleming is the most dangerous new leader in the game. First, he can pump out gobs of culture since he scores the sum total of your lab and library level. But the ability to spy on an opponent’s military hand means you can fire off devastating, well-timed aggressions in circumstances in which you would never consider it.

Consider: you have a 7-strength edge on an opponent with 6 MAs and a fistful of military cards. They also have a Movie theater and an Organized Religion propping up their happiness and culture production, but they lack the rocks to rebuild either. Sure, they’re sitting on Military build-up and can probably spin up some military units if you declare war, but you have this Age III Raid that could really ruin their day. Alas… they probably have at least one defense card… right? So instead of burning 3 MAs in a futile attempt to get 9 rocks, you just seed an event where you can eek out a few marginal points.

Ian Fleming, on the other hand, can tell you exactly those moments when your opponent has no defense cards and WHAM-O!

There’s also something to be said for knowing what tactics your opponent has, what Impacts they might seed… It’s a new information vector that I think top players will absolutely thrive on once they get their arms around how to effectively use him.

And that culture production. Boy howdy.

AGE III WONDERS

With a one-step and two-step wonder in this crop, building two Age III wonders is much more common, now. The other two are interesting for other reasons. I both love and hate Manhattan Project, and think International Red Cross provides one of the most interesting opportunities in the expansion.

Empire State Building (17)
Compare your ratings in rocks, science, food, strength, and culture. Score 7/8/9 points (2/3/4 players) for each which you are the highest (do not count ties)

Because the scoring potential for Empire State can fluctuate from turn to turn, completing it is about timing. It’s generally a wonder you want to take and build in one turn so your opponents don’t lower its value.

It’s not easy to scrounge up 17 rocks, but with Reserves, Engineering Genius, Bill Gates, or Marie Curie, it’s more doable than it might first appear.

Manhattan Project (4-6-4):
+13 strength; score your science rating

Simultaneously interesting and the most annoying new wonder.

Interesting because it’s the first Age III wonder that does something other than just score points. It gives you a strength bonus equal to a Modern Army tactic. This does work as a war deterrent, but it also works as a way to effectively annihilate your opponents. So, I guess it’s pretty thematic in that regard.

The scoring range is the widest of any Age III wonder. I’ve built it for four points… I’ve built it for more than 20 points. It can help you wage war on Gandhi, it can help you stave off war from Churchill.

Annoying because it sucks to have the bomb dropped on your head in a WoC.

United Nations (8-8)
Score 4 points for each blue technology, urban building type, or wonder (including this one) you have, whichever is highest. Upon completion, you may reveal an Impact from your hand, resolve it immediately, and return it to your hand.

You can potentially double score an impact with the UN. If it’s something like Impact of Strength, or a Gates-powered Impact of Balance, you can really put some distance between you and your opponents in the endgame. But it’s also reasonable to expect you don’t have an Impact with that kind of… uh… impact, and you just squeeze out 16 points, which is kind of underwhelming for an Age III wonder. It’s the 2-step build that makes it viable as a second Age III wonder near the endgame.

International Red Cross (3-3-3-3-3 with food, not rocks)
Gain 6 culture each time you build a step. When completed, gain 1 culture per colony in the game. Your opponents may build 1 step of this wonder on their turn.

The most interesting new Age III wonder. Both the need to build it with food, and the ability for opponents to build steps and take culture opportunities is quite fun. It’s also a wonder you can take on the final turn without completing and still score decent points.

IRC makes Mech Ag far more interesting, since it affords the ability to build it in one go without having opponents build steps along the way.

The trade-off of popping a cube vs. 6 culture isn’t an obvious one, particularly in a military-heavy game. But if you manage to get this thing built before anyone can do anything about it, that’s at least 30+ culture, which is a very high output for an Age III wonder.

AGE III MILTARY CARDS

Hybrid War (2 MAs)
Until the war is resolved, each civilization in the war gains two unhappy faces. The winner takes culture equal to the strength difference from the loser.

Oof, Hybrid war is nasty. There’s only one of them in the game, but getting hit by it in the Age IV changeover when you’re barely skating by on happiness is absolutely devastating.

The fact that you get 5 fewer points doesn’t make it weaker, since you can find your happiness-pinched opponents in situations where they can’t supply the population for the Hybrid War that they might otherwise get to build in a WoC. In fact, the 2MAs makes it easier to hit Gandhi with it.

Less impactful if your opponent is rolling in happiness, obviously, but make no mistake… Hybrid War will win and lose games.

Aggression: Occupy (3 MAs)
Take 3 rocks, 3 science, 3 food, and 3 culture
Mega-plunder. What else is there to say here? Also only one in the deck. Probably a good thing.

Tactic: Positional Army 12(6); Inf-Inf-Art-Art

A great tactic. Highly recommended. Enough said.

Impact of Harmony
Score 4 culture for each population in which you have the least: Military units; Farms & mines; or Urban buildings

It’s an impact designed to punish players who dismantle their entire economy to push for that penultimate turn mega-war.

If there isn’t that warmonger in the game, expect everyone to score 16 or 20 points.

Impact of Culture
Players score for their culture rating; 10/0 in a 2p game; 14/7/0 3p; 15/10/5/0 4p

It’s impact of strength/ science for the culture rating. It’s a good impact, I’m surprised it wasn’t a base game impact at the outset.
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for the write up. It was very helpful. Two questions:

1. Do you feel like the opinions you offer on the effectiveness/quality of the new cards were generally universally held opinions by most testers? Or were some of those hotly debated topics? I'm sure it varies depending on the opinion.

2. Your opinions seem quite mixed. For example you really like the Age II leaders, but feel the age I ones are rather boring. When considering the expansion as a whole, what are your overall feelings? Is this going to make TTA better or worse or the same but different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rodawig
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
Awesome, thanks so much for doing this!

Are the unhappy faces from Hybrid War permanent or just until the war is resolved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Until the war is resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't say this explicitly, but I assume the randomly selected set of Wonders and Leaders are known before the start of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Strik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Chan
China
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for the info. It's a good reading material when I'm waiting the expansion to show up in Google Play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Megasabin wrote:
Thanks for the write up. It was very helpful. Two questions:

1. Do you feel like the opinions you offer on the effectiveness/quality of the new cards were generally universally held opinions by most testers? Or were some of those hotly debated topics? I'm sure it varies depending on the opinion.
Even my opinions are evolving. I mentioned in the Age A section that I was originally not enamored with Confucius, but have since grown to respect his ability more. TtA is so dynamic, I think it will be a while before we can really come to general perspectives.

During play testing, for instance, Ian Fleming was among the least-selected new leaders. I think that has more to do with how new his core ability is rather than the fact that he's weak. Gaining that information can really swing a game, but nobody has ever had to take that into consideration before while playing.

Quote:
2. Your opinions seem quite mixed. For example you really like the Age II leaders, but feel the age I ones are rather boring. When considering the expansion as a whole, what are your overall feelings? Is this going to make TTA better or worse or the same but different?
Oh, I love, love, love the expansion. And though I wouldn't want to play the expansion by itself, I also am not really interested in playing the base game by itself anymore.

The expansion definitely changes the way you have to look at some of the core cards. The drive to make blue tokens matter is particularly interesting, if subtle, for instance. There's also a lot of tuning toward defense (Himeji, Super Gandhi, Coubertin), but there are also some particularly brutal new offensive weapons (Himeji again... Manhattan Project, and Hybrid War) to balance that out.

The introduction of so many new yellow tokens also makes Age I libraries and theaters viable urban techs, now, which opens the door for Shakespeare, who was basically the closest thing the base game had to a blank card.

I think the mixed set will be the new standard way to play this game, at least at the competitive level (indeed my competition is going to integrate the expansion soon, and LaoHuang's 2p and 4p leagues will require the expansion as well).

When I say some cards are boring, it doesn't mean I think they're weak necessarily. Saladin is a good Age I leader... my core issue with him is that he's kind of an Age I Hammurabi. That's not a weak leader, just not particularly unique. I'll still take him because he makes it more manageable to get to Age II without a permanent 5th CA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Whiz
msg tools
What happens to the blue tokens when the shared wonder is completed? If they are returned to their original owners, how is that tracked over-the-board? Seems like a potential tracking nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rodenbeck
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
A nightmare? Just put a token (like a coin or a button) under each blue cube to indicate its ownership. Or get a pad of paper and make tally marks when someone builds a section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siddharth Venkatesh
msg tools
Thanks for making the list. Really interesting changes brought to the game. The whole cadence feels completely different when incorporating the expansion. It's going to be fun exploring the new options and how to leverage them well. Also, nothing seems to stand out as particularly strong or weak (Acropolis aside perhaps), which is neat, though of course this may change with more exposure.

I love the design of Ian Fleming and James Watt. Info control at this level is such an interesting addition and Watt makes the Age II and III infrastructure a lot more viable. Watt into Curie seems particularly awesome.

I'm glad these aren't just variations on existing ideas but cards that bring core changes to gameplay. This will make the adaptation a lot more interesting.

Stonehenge will also be a card to watch out for I think. There is a lot of potential in this card and it may end up being stronger than Colosseum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek
msg tools
SWxNW wrote:
AGE 1 LEADERS

Dark Ages
All players lose any science over 4 rounded up

What is to be rounded up in loss of all science over 4?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The boost to OLS is interesting.
I always found this wonder to be the most powerful in the game under the right circumstances. Very situational, but close to insane in the right situation. Now it is even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChessWhiz wrote:
What happens to the blue tokens when the shared wonder is completed? If they are returned to their original owners, how is that tracked over-the-board? Seems like a potential tracking nightmare.
You use the tokens of the wonder owner to track progress, not from the person that builds the step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the list!

I got it in Steam (still waiting for google play store update...), and skimmed through the cards. One difference I noticed:

You said:
United Nations (8-8)
Score 4 points for each blue technology or wonder (including this one), whichever is highest. Upon completion, you may reveal an Impact from your hand, resolve it immediately, and return it to your hand.

The Steam app says the same, but also:

...or each type of the urban building you have, whichever is the strongest.

So unless I miscounted, you can get 16 from blues, 20 from urbans, or over a fifty from wonders (but realistically 16-20 ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nadneseny wrote:
SWxNW wrote:
AGE 1 LEADERS

Dark Ages

Sorry, that should be half the amount of science in excess of four. I'll correct it in the main post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Padish wrote:
Thanks for the list!

I got it in Steam (still waiting for google play store update...), and skimmed through the cards. One difference I noticed:

You said:
United Nations (8-8)
Score 4 points for each blue technology or wonder (including this one), whichever is highest. Upon completion, you may reveal an Impact from your hand, resolve it immediately, and return it to your hand.

The Steam app says the same, but also:

...or each type of the urban building you have, whichever is the strongest.

So unless I miscounted, you can get 16 from blues, 20 from urbans, or over a fifty from wonders (but realistically 16-20 ).
Whoops, yes... types of urbans, blue techs, or total number of wonders, whichever is highest. I'll add that in to the main post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek
msg tools
SWxNW wrote:
Nadneseny wrote:
SWxNW wrote:
AGE 1 LEADERS

Dark Ages

Sorry, that should be half the amount of science in excess of four. I'll correct it in the main post
Thanks for clarifying. I read your post and this card is the one that struck me a lot. At first sight, I must say I don't like it - but that is first impression only. Looking forward to play with all the new features.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
Microbadge: GameChat League - Phoenix Division: "Like a phoenix rising from the ashes..."Microbadge: A Study in Emerald fanMicrobadge: Built to Spill fanMicrobadge: Age of Steam fanMicrobadge: The 7th Continent
Quote:
Hippocrates
At the start of your turn, take one yellow token from the yellow bank and place it above your Government (max. 3). At each Age change, place one of those yellow tokens into your yellow bank.
Does the last ability work even when Hippocrates has been replaced? I assume so, otherwise it doesn't really make sense. I'm too used to Magic: the Gathering rules where cards abilities are only in effect while the card is in play unless explicitly stated in some way.

Quote:
Development of Planning
Draw three Age A Military cards that are not in the game. Execute one of those cards of your choice.
Who chooses? The player whose turn it is?

Quote:
James Watt
Age II mines and farms cost 2 science and 2 rocks less. Age III mines and farms cost 4 science and 4 rocks less. When Watt leaves play, score your best farm or mine
What does this last part mean? How do you score a farm or mine?

Quote:
Pierre Coubertin
Each arena produces 2 culture. Once per game, before your political action, you can declare the Olympic Games. You gain 8 culture and until your next Political Action, any player who plays an aggression or a war loses 8 culture
Hang on, if the ability is triggered before your Political action, then your next Political action could be read as being the one in your current turn, as it occurs next. So the war drawback does nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W S
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the write up!

- Can you go over drawing 3 military cards with Sun-Tzu?
- You stated Silk Road is the only wonder with 5 steps. The all-mighty internet disagrees

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Celmins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
Does the last ability work even when Hippocrates has been replaced? I assume so, otherwise it doesn't really make sense. I'm too used to Magic: the Gathering rules where cards abilities are only in effect while the card is in play unless explicitly stated in some way.
So as long as you have Hippocrates as your leader, at the start of each turn, you place a yellow token from the general supply above your government. You can do this a maximum of three times. Once those yellow tokens are above your government, they stay there even if Hippocrates is not your leader any more. At each change of age sequence, you place one of the yellow tokens from your government into your yellow bank.

Quote:
Development of Planning

wrote:
Who chooses? The player whose turn it is?

The cards are drawn one time when the event triggers. All players can execute any of the cards they are able to, so cards don't get "used up."

Quote:
James Watt
Age II mines and farms cost 2 science and 2 rocks less. Age III mines and farms cost 4 science and 4 rocks less. When Watt leaves play, score your best farm or mine

wrote:
What does this last part mean? How do you score a farm or mine?
Sorry, that should read "score culture equal to the level of your best farm or best mine." I will clarify in the OP.

Quote:
Pierre Coubertin
Each arena produces 2 culture. Once per game, before your political action, you can declare the Olympic Games. You gain 8 culture and until your next Political Action, any player who plays an aggression or a war loses 8 culture

wrote:
Hang on, if the ability is triggered before your Political action, then your next Political action could be read as being the one in your current turn, as it occurs next. So the war drawback does nothing.
It is before your political action... sorry it should read "before your next turn." I will fix that, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |