Tobias Roehl
Germany
Mainz-Kastel
flag msg tools
My GeekBadge is still empty...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear fellow geeks,

as I will visit Chicago in November, I would like to buy some American board games there.

Could somebody please recommend a FLGS in Chicago (should be reasonably close to the city center as I won't have access to a car and my hotel is in Lincoln Park)?

Thanks for your help!

(And while you're at it , do you have any recommendations for sightseeing?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Johnson
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Gamers Paradise in the mall at 2828 N Clark St., which is very near (or in) Lincoln Park. It's been a few years since I've been there though, so I have no memory of what kind of selection they have...it may be 100 kinds of monopoly. Maybe others can comment?

For sightseeing, the Art Institute of Chicago (111 S. Michigan) is quite impressive, if you like that sort of thing. It's also near a giant metal bean, that I think is surprisingly neat to see (it's actually called Cloud Gate or something). The museums at the museum campus (Field, Shedd Aquarium) are also pretty nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There really aren't any in the city proper. See the discussion on the Chicagoland guild: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/177319 (the ones in the city may not be worth the trip)

Games Plus (101 W Prospect Ave, Mt Prospect) is just 2 blocks west of the Mt. Prospect train station. A weekend ticket is $5 for the whole weekend: http://www.metrarail.com/Sched/cnw_nw/cnw_nw.shtml and IMHO is worth taking the time to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ortega
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
I would go here since your travel is limited...and it is closer.

The store is in the Century City Centre (not a typo), on Clark Street just north of Diversey. The best bet is to hop the #22 Clark bus; the #36 bus can get you less than a block away. The Diversey stop on the Brown Line is closed, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Century City Centre
2828 N. Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60657-5775

Here is a map link..
[url]
http://www.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&q=gamers+paradise&near=...[/url]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Roehl
Germany
Mainz-Kastel
flag msg tools
My GeekBadge is still empty...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thank you guys for your fast and friendly replies!
That's one of the reasons I love this website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wtrollkin2000 wrote:

Games Plus (101 W Prospect Ave, Mt Prospect) is just 2 blocks west of the Mt. Prospect train station. A weekend ticket is $5 for the whole weekend: http://www.metrarail.com/Sched/cnw_nw/cnw_nw.shtml and IMHO is worth taking the time to do.

I'll second this store if you've got the time. (And on the train, it really shouldn't take that long)

It's a pretty nice store. Or at least was the last time I was there (4-5 years ago, I think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scranton
United States
Oak Brook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll third the recommendation for Games Plus. It has the best selection of miniatures and boardgames of any FLGS I've been in, and it's definitely worth the train trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garinger
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryce_z wrote:
There is a Gamers Paradise in the mall at 2828 N Clark St., which is very near (or in) Lincoln Park. It's been a few years since I've been there though, so I have no memory of what kind of selection they have...it may be 100 kinds of monopoly. Maybe others can comment?

I've been there a few times over the past few months. It's not cheap and it's small, but they have a decent selection, if you're willing to negotiate yourself past the gaming table and around the minis section back into the gamer's corner. If I recall correctly, they had a copy of Twilight Struggle that I was coveting, although prepare for severe sticker shock ($57!). Not well laid out, but there are some good games in there.

The other location in Water Tower Place on Michigan Avenue is larger and appears to be running a perpetual buy one get one for half-price sale on boardgames, but their selection is more limited. Largely FFG and bestsellers like Puerto Rico and Catan, although they also had a couple of copies of Hive as well and some Twilight Creations stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton McHugh
United States
Greenwood Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Every bald guy should own at least one great hat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to recommend against taking the time to go to Games Plus! if you're in Chicago to see the city. The train ride takes about 45 minutes each way from the loop and, outside of weekday rush hour, only leaves once every hour, so if you miss it you're just stuck. You also have to get to one of the train stations, none of which is tremendously close to your hotel. There is one west of Wrigley Field, but you're taking a cab to get there.

Games Plus! is a relatively good store with a wide selection, but at the end of the day it is just a games store, and you have to go way out of your way to get to it. Not something I would care to do as a tourist, especially with so many other things to see and do in Chicago.

I would second the recommendations for the Art Institute, Field and Shedd however, as they are top notch institutions. Also, take the time to stop by some restaurants, Chicago has tons of great ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in any miniature battles, I'm willing to travel. My problem during the school year is school. But you can always ask. The worst that can happen is that I say I can't. I live in Chicago's SW area, near Midway. I'm the author of The Games of War: A Treasury of Rules for Battles with Toy Soldiers, Ships, and Planes. You can check out the book's reviews, game pictures and the like at the Geek, Amazon.com, and ConSimWorld.com.
John Bobek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls