Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One Deck Dungeon is a fun one. It’s quick and simple but gives you something to think about, and it’s cool how your character develops over time.

Based on that I’d say +1 for Pandemic the Cure, Hostage Negotiator, and Tournament Fishing Deckbuilder.

I’d also suggest looking at The Lost Expedition. It’s got that similar idea of moving toward a goal, but with a survival vibe. You start with some limited number of resources (food, ammunition, health) and have to survive long enough in the jungle to reach the fabled lost city. It’s basically a card game but had nice colorful artwork. Simple rules but provides a nice puzzle to figure out each turn. Probably plays faster than One Deck Dungeon even. Has rules for co-op and competitive playing too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Another +1 for Forbidden Island - it's extremely inexpensive, and even young kids can 'play along' by having them find the matching pictures between the island and the cards as it sinks. It plays perfectly well as an optimal solo game (rather than 2-hand co-op) with two minor modifications - hand limit of 7 instead of 5, and draw 3 Treasures instead of 2 at the end of each turn. Vary up the layout or roles for additional challenge and fun. You can play 2-3 games in an hour and a half easily.

Pandemic: The Cure is also quite good solo, and well under the 90 minute mark. Just beware of small hands absconding with the jewel-like dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Emil
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice! I'm reading and editing my Want list.

I'm not actually looking for games to play with kids. This post is for games to play when they are finally asleep. So games like Legendary: Aliens is fine and no worries about the pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emilbrett wrote:
Nemo's War
I think the first edition would fit.

emilbrett wrote:
Pandemic: The Cure
I'm guessing I'm be able to fit 2 plays within 90 minutes.

One of my favorite games.

emilbrett wrote:
Legendary: Marvel
Also works within 90 minutes. I suggest playing the same deck configurations multiple times in a row, since it takes a while to find cards for each play and put the previous ones back in one. This gets worse the more expansions you have. You can pack it away with the "composed" decks.

One of my favorite games, but as soon as you've learned it I suggestion playing 2-handed or at the very least the advanced solo mode from the Dark City expansion (I think that's the name of the expansion).

emilbrett wrote:
Lagendary: Alien
I love this one, but the same comments go as for Marvel and I think it would be pushing 90 minutes for me.

I had more fun with it than Marvel, because it's much more thematic and tells a better story, but the expansions made Marvel win out for me because of replayability.¨

emilbrett wrote:
Spirit Island
I've played 7 times with one spirit and it easily plays in 90 minutes. My first play with 2 spirits probably pushed 90 minutes and my second with 2 of the advanced spirits looks like it'll be going for longer.

I've had a lot of fun with 1 spirit, but it seems to me that 2 spirits are much more interesting and replayable.

emilbrett wrote:
Robinson Crusoe

After 17 plays I still don't think that I'd be able to play it in 90. To me it's a game you leave setup on table to play multiple times, because setup and teardown takes a long time and it takes some time to get familiar with all the rules (my first play went well over 2 hours).

I like it quite a bit, but I like most of the ones above better. It can be very punishing with downward spirals when things go wrong. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of taste.

emilbrett wrote:
Friday

A nice introduction to deck building that can be played multiple times in 90 minutes, but in my experience there's a dominant strategy that allows you to win pretty consistently even at the app's higher difficulty level that's harder than the one that came in the box (I don't know whether that has been updated).

emilbrett wrote:
Deep Space D-6
A light game that can be played multiple times in 90 minutes.

It has been one of my go to travel games and I really like it, but is fairly luck dependent.

Many of the games above are in my opinion better, but I still really like and would buy new expansions if more come out.

Be sure to check out the inside of the cover for important rules in relation to the boss monster as well as the rule forum for the game here on BGG for a correction to an error on one of the boss monster cards. The error might have been corrected in the latest print.

emilbrett wrote:
What other games would you recommend?
For simple and quick games I'll recommend the Oniverse series, particularly Onirim, Nautilion, and Aerion (in that order). Those 3 are in my top 10 solo games (out of about 160).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis P
United States
Richmond
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list:
One Deck Dungeon - definitely. I have to admit I actually play it through the app. It has all the content and I can get through a game faster and on the go.
Aeon's End another +1
Deep Space D-6 another +1

Other solo games I enjoy that are more win or lose than points (and in your time frame):
The Lost Expedition
Unbroken - this one reminds me of Lost Expedition but with a different theme
Hoplomachus: The Lost Cities and Rise of Rome
Raxxon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |