1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: Game you keep coming back to but never quite pull the trigger? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For me, it's Ethnos, which isn't even a solo game.

I think my family would love the mechanics and idea... but man, is it ugly and grungy looking. My wife (and kids) would be so unimpressed with how it appears that they wouldn't be drawn to play, and can't say I'd blame them. Given the lighter mechanics, it feels like a huge miss, and should have gotten Small World type art instead.

Anyone else have a game they keep eyeing but never end up buying for some reason?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

I’m convinced I would like it, but I just don’t think it would get to the table often enough to make it worth owning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Captain Is Dead: Lockdown has gradually slumped from "I really want this, but it's expensive" to "…eh, maybe I'll sell The Captain Is Dead too".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lee
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Feast for Odin is the game for me. I keep thinking that such a large game must have a long setup time. But even more than that, I know that my girlfriend would probably never want to play this game.

Sure, the solo mode for it is great, but I like to make the most out of a game, so if it is good for both solo and multiplayer, then I'd like to see both sides.

Still, the more I hear about the game, the more I think that I would love to play it. Maybe someday, I'll get past my initial misgivings, and I'll buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So. Many. Games. But more than any other, I've added and deleted Pulp Detective from my Wishlist at least six times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. @kinson
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whooo boy! I don't think it's one game for me.

FITS is the first thing that comes to mind. I love Tetris, and this is a family game. Somehow, I could never pull the trigger on it either. Now that I have Brikks, I probably won't buy it.

Scythe is another that sat lingering on my wishlists for a long time but after getting it to the table finally at a friend's house, it no longer has a hold on me.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is one I also keep going back and forth looking at occasionally when money in the budget frees up. I've played First Martians, and I kind of liked it but it was too much work maintaining the board rather than doing the cool stuff. The app was poorly implemented by not doing more things for the player. Also, I hear this is crushingly difficult, so I hesitate. Another one I wish I could borrow to see if I would like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. @kinson
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

I’m convinced I would like it, but I just don’t think it would get to the table often enough to make it worth owning.

Yeah. Me too. My family is who I mostly play with and I can pretty much forget anything past two hours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Wreyford
United States
Lavergne
TENNESSEE
flag msg tools
mb
For me it's Terraforming Mars. I have never played it so all I know about it is from reviews and such. It gets such high praise as a solo game (and just in general for that matter) which makes me want to give it a whirl, but it is the type of game that is usually hit or miss for me. I keep opting for games I feel more confident purchasing and I can't tell you how many times the mouse has hovered over the "Buy Now" button. Maybe someday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate U
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar really appeals. It's not a solo game, and the 2p game requires some "dummy" mods to set-up (98% of my gaming is 1 or 2p), plus the cost is juuust high enough that I keep taking it out of my cart.

The Bloody Inn is another. Not sure the solo version is worth it, and I suspect only one of my gaming friends will enjoy the quirky theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siân
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a game but an accessory: a neoprene game mat.

I have been seesawing backwards and forwards about this for months... my thoughts usually run something like this:

I could use it for pocket landship and other card games
but I don’t need one, I have a tablecloth
I’ll just have a look online...
... several hours later...
there are some really nice ones available...
I find three or four I love...
but they are not as thick as my chip theory games mats
but they don’t need to be as thick
and the pictures are cool
but I am trying not to spend money
perhaps I could get one for Christmas?
but it’s only September!
and I don’t really need one
but it would be nice to get one
I don’t need one
But it would be good for card games...

Anyway, I seem to cycle through this conversation regularly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's any new COIN title!

I really enjoy the series but already have plenty of the games that just don't get much table time thus I can't really justify getting any more. But every time a new COIN title is released it is invariably a period or setting that I'm really interested in and I have to fight myself not to buy it.

Thinking about it, my internal conflict not to buy any more COIN games would make an interesting COIN game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me this was Champions of Hara and Champions of Hara: Chaos On Hara. Spent three or four months going back and forth. Put it in shopping baskets numerous times. Read how folk had given up trying to find the expansion, which purportedly won't ever be reprinted. Found it, procrastinated... ultimately took it off my wish list. Ended up getting Hellboy agent pledge instead (and I'd done the same dance with that for a long time).

Yeah... Hara and its expansion landed on my doorstep last Tuesday. Really impressed so far; and - oddly - it feels like I earned it. Certainly wasn't an impulse buy.

Sorry, what was the question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and also: Wingspan. Just couldn't decide if it was too light for my tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. @kinson
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyuss wrote:
For me, it's any new COIN title!

I really enjoy the series but already have plenty of the games that just don't get much table time thus I can't really justify getting any more. But every time a new COIN title is released it is invariably a period or setting that I'm really interested in and I have to fight myself not to buy it.

Thinking about it, my internal conflict not to buy any more COIN games would make an interesting COIN game...

I haven't played any of them, but your post reminds that Liberty or Death and A Distant Plain keep teasing me. I hear that Cuba Libre is the best introduction to the system, but I have zero interest in the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pull the trigger on Ethnos if I was you. I got my wife to play when we had some friends over and she's stricktly against High Fantasy stuff like that and not really into playing games in general but she still had a blast.

Mine is Aeon's End everyone universally loves it in the 1PG but I've just never had enough to put me over the egde.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Foster
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's been Spirit Island and I really can't put my finger on why. It's just never been able to break into my "must own" list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RLFoster wrote:
For me it's been Spirit Island and I really can't put my finger on why. It's just never been able to break into my "must own" list.

I was so sceptical on that one. Even thought it didn't look very good at all when it was first on Kickstarter. Oddly I picked it up at retail way before the word of mouth started to build it up.

Yeah, it's probably the best game released in the past three years (although I'd have to tie it with This War of Mine: The Board Game for myself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyuss wrote:
Who are the five factions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate U
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RLFoster wrote:

I held off on this one for a long time, and it's one of my favourites. It's one of the few games I own that I think about when I'm not playing... contemplating strategies and so on. Doooo itttttt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaud
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Shop at GameSurplus.com
badge
Shop at GameSurplus.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit Island really is fantastic. I rediscovered its magnificence this summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine has almost always been Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. All the expansions and options make it appealing. But:

1. I don't watch the Marvel movies or read the comics, so know next to nothing about the universe.

2. I already own Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game and Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game, which are probably much better fits for me.

So far, I've managed to avoid buying it for about 3 years, even when faced with cheaper used copies. So I'm doing well. But it never 100% disappears from my thoughts.

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
houserules wrote:
The Bloody Inn is another. Not sure the solo version is worth it, and I suspect only one of my gaming friends will enjoy the quirky theme.

I know the point of the thread is not necessarily to convince people to get off the fence and buy something, but The Bloody Inn is pretty good solo. I got a cheap ($10) used copy in January, and have played it several times. It's rules light, which is great. The art and theme is great (IMO). It's a small box game. Nice mix of strategy and push-your-luck. If you can find a good deal on it, I'd say go for it.

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
See the Legendary General Forum for Back to Basics League information -- Dark City and Base Set only
badge
Join the Dark City and Base Set only monthly league -- See Legendary general forum for information
mbmbmbmbmb

Terraforming Mars -- I'm not a fan of beat your own score, and folks don't seem happy with the game components, but otherwise it has received such great feedback. Off and on my list multiple times.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective -- I love reading mystery books, just not sure if this type of game would appeal to me. Would love thoughts from those who have enjoyed it, or would recommend others in this genre.

Helionox Do I really need another deck-builder? Plus, some mixed reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Colin said, we're not here to push anyone over the fence, however...

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization really is a fantastic game. Even though you'll never get it to the table for multiplayer with your group, there's a few options:
1. An excellent, but complex, SoloPlay variant
2. A simpler solo variant
3. A fantastic online multiplayer version, which IMO is much easier to comprehend if you've also played the game
4. A mobile app (for Android anyway)

Anyway, back to the original topic, the game for me is Vinhos. It's expensive, it's complex/heavy, I've never played a Lacerda game, I have Viticulture (though I understand they are very different), I have enough complex unplayed games on my shelf and coming from KS, and yet - I can't seem to take this off my wishlist. And thanks to the ads on the right side of the page, the $99.99 offering from Amazon comes up about 5x a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. @kinson
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArianneH wrote:

Terraforming Mars -- I'm not a fan of beat your own score, and folks don't seem happy with the game components, but otherwise it has received such great feedback. Off and on my list multiple times.

Terraforming Mars really only becomes beat your own score if you consistently beat it all the time. Fortunately, I'm still not there yet, so it's either finishing terraforming Mars in 14 rounds (or 12 w/ Prelude) or lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |