Popular Tags: [View All]
Meat Popsicle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
RLFoster wrote:
For me it's been Spirit Island and I really can't put my finger on why. It's just never been able to break into my "must own" list.
Right here. This one is mine. In fact, I did buy it from the BGG Marketplace ($40, free shipping), but the seller flaked and never shipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:

Anyway, back to the original topic, the game for me is Vinhos. It's expensive, it's complex/heavy, I've never played a Lacerda game, I have Viticulture (though I understand they are very different), I have enough complex unplayed games on my shelf and coming from KS, and yet - I can't seem to take this off my wishlist. And thanks to the ads on the right side of the page, the $99.99 offering from Amazon comes up about 5x a day.

Here's what I'd suggest for you and Vinhos. Set yourself a pretty low price point, that, if you see it at or below, you pull the trigger. But anything above that, you ignore. I have CO2 1st Ed from Vital, and like it, but I've always been iffy on the bigger box games of his. I've been patient, and a couple of weeks ago, was rewarded with a used copy of The Gallerist showing up at my FLGS for $40. At that price, it was worth the punt.

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hoye

Kansas City
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Coffee Roaster. Been on the fence for two years; it's just so expensive! Maybe I won't have to pay international shipping now that it's been picked up by a publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColintheFlea wrote:
Here's what I'd suggest for you and Vinhos. Set yourself a pretty low price point, that, if you see it at or below, you pull the trigger. But anything above that, you ignore. I have CO2 1st Ed from Vital, and like it, but I've always been iffy on the bigger box games of his. I've been patient, and a couple of weeks ago, was rewarded with a used copy of The Gallerist showing up at my FLGS for $40. At that price, it was worth the punt.

Colin

Can you just manage my wishlist for me? You always have good advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgatkinsn wrote:
Whooo boy!Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is one I also keep going back and forth looking at occasionally when money in the budget frees up. I've played First Martians, and I kind of liked it but it was too much work maintaining the board rather than doing the cool stuff. The app was poorly implemented by not doing more things for the player. Also, I hear this is crushingly difficult, so I hesitate. Another one I wish I could borrow to see if I would like it.
Your feelings on First Martians should have no bearing on Robinson Crusoe. RC is one of my Top 10 games and I got rid of FM after a few plays. It has absolutely none of the soul that RC has and is, as you stated, an exercise in maintaining a board.

Anywho, a game I keep coming back to is Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. It looks really fun and reviews are great, but dry euros usually don’t click for me and I’m afraid it will end up collecting dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
None so far. Will probably change starting November.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siân
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
What’s happening in November?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it is Star Trek: Frontiers.

I keep backing off it because of the minutiae of rules, the heaviness of rules, long setup time and long play time.

bummer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoopder
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
shockaday wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

I too am intrigued by this cryptic response and would like to know what's happening in November.

Mine are the fairly recent Stonemaier games, particularly Scythe and Tapestry. There's just something about running the automa and the amount of symbols involved in both that just really dampens my excitement just enough to decided to think about it and check back later. I really can just never quite decide that I will like them solo enough to justify the price. This may be due to feeling burned by Charterstone as a solo experience. Really disappointed by that one, but for reasons that would be totally absent in these other games, which makes me think I should take a look at those other games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hoyeboye wrote:
Coffee Roaster. Been on the fence for two years; it's just so expensive! Maybe I won't have to pay international shipping now that it's been picked up by a publisher.

But it's not the same art. Not at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate U
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldpaulson wrote:
hoyeboye wrote:

But it's not the same art. Not at all.

When the new edition is widely available, maybe someone will sell off an old one cheap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like they went out of their way to make it look as ugly as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep coming back to Camp Grizzly. I love the idea of playing through a 80's horror movie. Only thing holding me back is my current backlog of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbethany wrote:
shockaday wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

I too am intrigued by this cryptic response and would like to know what's happening in November.

Mine are the fairly recent Stonemaier games, particularly Scythe and Tapestry. There's just something about running the automa and the amount of symbols involved in both that just really dampens my excitement just enough to decided to think about it and check back later. I really can just never quite decide that I will like them solo enough to justify the price. This may be due to feeling burned by Charterstone as a solo experience. Really disappointed by that one, but for reasons that would be totally absent in these other games, which makes me think I should take a loot at those other games...

While I will agree these two automas are a bit more work than "flip a card, block a space"-type automas, both games include helpful aids to assist in decoding the icons. No flipping through the rulebook, just keep those cards handy. The Euphoria: Ignorance Is Bliss automa works a lot like the Tapestry one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Robertson
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is now a criteria before I buy. In order to keep from buying 'duds' I now never buy a game right away. I watch videos, read articles and mostly just wait. If a game keeps coming up for me with a desire to play/own for weeks, only THEN do I buy it. So far I have only bought 3 games in the past few months and they have all been hits. Works well for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feudum and the requisite solo expansion. The commentary on this one is so varied so given the very heft rule set and space it takes on a table I just keep backing away. One day I'll find both items very cheaply somewhere and it will be an easy purchase. But until then I just cant bring myself to do it even as some trusted friends tell me its worth every penny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cvlw wrote:
Feudum and the requisite solo expansion. The commentary on this one is so varied so given the very heft rule set and space it takes on a table I just keep backing away. One day I'll find both items very cheaply somewhere and it will be an easy purchase. But until then I just cant bring myself to do it even as some trusted friends tell me its worth every penny.

It's been on sale at quite hefty discounts already, so you can find it for a good price with reasonable frequency. Unless you want all the KS bells and whistles, it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I have little restraint when it comes to acquiring games that are available at reasonable prices, the few ones on my list that I look around for occasionally but end up not buying are ones that are not in print:

The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43
Codeword Cromwell: The German Invasion of England, 8 June 1940

And of course Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel, which I would probably never get to play even if I owned it (and it has no solo rules either). But the Mutant Chronicles world is such an amazingly over-the-top setting. I love the RPG.

Edit! And this in-your-face solo game, of course: Chainsaw Warrior!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:

Are you planning to win the lottery in November?

Please explain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyuss wrote:
For me, it's any new COIN title!

I really enjoy the series but already have plenty of the games that just don't get much table time thus I can't really justify getting any more. But every time a new COIN title is released it is invariably a period or setting that I'm really interested in and I have to fight myself not to buy it.

Thinking about it, my internal conflict not to buy any more COIN games would make an interesting COIN game...

This is so me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Lawrence
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven. Everything I read and see looks awesome except for setup and footprint. Looks like everything one would want but I'd be playing by myself more than likely. Just haven't done it yet. As I've reached my fifties now my motivation to take on these type of games is dwindling. Looks awesome but intimidating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pacific1derland wrote:
Gloomhaven. Everything I read and see looks awesome except for setup and footprint. Looks like everything one would want but I'd be playing by myself more than likely. Just haven't done it yet. As I've reached my fifties now my motivation to take on these type of games is dwindling. Looks awesome but intimidating.

I should have added this to my list above, too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick A
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Pacific1derland wrote:

My recommendation would be to only buy it if you:
1. Have a table where you can leave it setup so you can go back and play it multiple days in a row.
2. Buy the planos and organize it using the YASS gloomhaven solution (I’m on mobile or I’d link it).

I did #2 originally and if I hadn’t, I would of sold this one off. Absolutely no way I’d deal with this game using baggies for each item or monster. The thought of that is terrifying.

As for #1, originally, I used to setup and tear down gloomhaven between each game since we lived in a one bedroom apartment and I played on dining room table. I would put Netflix on and enjoy the process. But after ~24 plays, this got a little old. We got a house and I was able to leave gloomhaven up between games and it’s so much better. Sure you change setup per scenario, but it makes the game much better. Of course, it means you commit to gloomhaven for multiple days, but it’s much much better.

Of course, this is all my own personal experience and won’t be the same for everyone. Except #2. If you buy gloomhaven, budget 20$ extra to buy the 4 pack of planos on amazon that’s always recommend as a “frequently purchased with gloomhaven.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Tatu
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics. I love the Woodland theme (Root, the Redwall series, the Farthing Wood series, the Mouse Guard series... you get it), and even though I'm not crazy with dungeon crawler (especially because of the large footprint and plethora of minis), it's clearly a genre which fits my broad taste.

However, the critics don't seem always good, the gameplay doesn't look too interesting, my completionist tendency would force me to purchase the expansions which are not so easy to be found at a cheap price, and, last but very important reason, I loathe cheese so much that playing a game where you must getting is... straightout repellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason D
United States
Kendall Park
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom

I considered the very first Kickstarter but at the time it was too expensive to me and I was worried that others would find it "weird". I quickly got over worrying about what others thought but never had the funds I was willing to spend over the years whenever it was back on Kickstarter. I finally thought I'd get it this year and missed out on the sale for Sean Äaberg's birthday, followed by backing out of the Kickstarter at the last moment for no really valid reason other than being more excited for other stuff at the time.

One day... one day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |