Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron L.
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, its Space Empires: 4X, Dominant Species, and Xia: Legends of a Drift System. I feel like I would have a great time playing these with my group, but I never jump. We just started playing Middara: Unintentional Malum – Act 1 and everyone is interested to continuing the story line. I think that might be part of what keeps me from pulling the trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Europe 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been Core Space for the last few months. I finally pulled the trigger on the base set, extra terrain and the Delux Rulebook. It arrived yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooooo many and I love this thread. Please do try to convince me on my latest two:

spirit Island: I know it’s great but I really don’t like the look of it (the art direction and style) and that matter to me.

Roll Player + monsters/minions expansion: I worry it will be too light/samey after a while and just an optimization puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Imperial Assault is probably the most recent example. I played the base game and Return to Hoth through two campaigns on a friend’s copy, but the app and automa solutions here on BGG have me considering it for solo play.

I was particularly close during and shortly after “May the 4th” this year, but Star Wars: Outer Rim arrived at about the right time to quench my Star Wars-related thirst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Pamir (Second Edition) looks so cool, but the price holds me back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ludlow

Jamesport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's Days of Ire. That cover just looks so gorgeous and I love me a solid historical setting, but for some reason it looks good and then fades almost instantly on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound (Third Edition) has been sitting in my shopping cart for about 2 years now. I just don't think I would ever actually play it if I had it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Bear
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Talof Harjo
badge
Talof Harjo
mbmbmbmbmb
ConesofDunshire wrote:
Pacific1derland wrote:
Gloomhaven. Everything I read and see looks awesome except for setup and footprint. Looks like everything one would want but I'd be playing by myself more than likely. Just haven't done it yet. As I've reached my fifties now my motivation to take on these type of games is dwindling. Looks awesome but intimidating.

My recommendation would be to only buy it if you:
1. Have a table where you can leave it setup so you can go back and play it multiple days in a row.
2. Buy the planos and organize it using the YASS gloomhaven solution (I’m on mobile or I’d link it).

I did #2 originally and if I hadn’t, I would of sold this one off. Absolutely no way I’d deal with this game using baggies for each item or monster. The thought of that is terrifying.

As for #1, originally, I used to setup and tear down gloomhaven between each game since we lived in a one bedroom apartment and I played on dining room table. I would put Netflix on and enjoy the process. But after ~24 plays, this got a little old. We got a house and I was able to leave gloomhaven up between games and it’s so much better. Sure you change setup per scenario, but it makes the game much better. Of course, it means you commit to gloomhaven for multiple days, but it’s much much better.

Of course, this is all my own personal experience and won’t be the same for everyone. Except #2. If you buy gloomhaven, budget 20$ extra to buy the 4 pack of planos on amazon that’s always recommend as a “frequently purchased with gloomhaven.”

What is this YASS you speak of? I never get Gloomhaven to the table anymore due to the setup and tear down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Bear
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Talof Harjo
badge
Talof Harjo
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are mine:

The Big Book of Madness Cannot decide if it would stay.
Camp Grizzly Also think it might just be too light of a game.
Core Space Mainly because I have a lot of deckbuilders and this one does not look inspiring. Plus it needs the expansion.
March of the Ants Have wanted it for a while, but...

There's probably more, but these are the ones I can think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
willstar70 wrote:
For me it is Star Trek: Frontiers.

I keep backing off it because of the minutiae of rules, the heaviness of rules, long setup time and long play time.

bummer...

It's so gooooooood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
Soooooo many and I love this thread. Please do try to convince me on my latest two:

spirit Island: I know it’s great but I really don’t like the look of it (the art direction and style) and that matter to me.

Roll Player + monsters/minions expansion: I worry it will be too light/samey after a while and just an optimization puzzle.

Indeed a fun thread to read!

What do you want to be convinved about? I might be able to offer some discouragement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia - I keep thinking it's too Euro-y, but the Ricky Royal videos make it look soooo good.
Call to Adventure - Probably a game I will enjoy, but heard solo is lacking
Stuffed Fables & Comanauts - Not sure about the gameplay in either, but I love the look of each.
Folklore: The Affliction - I've heard mixed reviews
Maximum Apocalypse - Heard great things from people I know have different tastes than I do, so I'm conflicted...
Brook City & Altar Quest - I want to play Street Masters before I make a decision on either (almost late pledged Altar Quest yesterday)
Too Many Bones - It's between an all-in buy and college for my two girls. Again, I'm conflicted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan

Evanston
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Mage Knight - Keep hoping I’ll find this on sale...
Xia - Regret not getting this the last time it was in print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siân
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
414448 wrote:

And of course Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel, which I would probably never get to play even if I owned it (and it has no solo rules either). But the Mutant Chronicles world is such an amazingly over-the-top setting. I love the RPG.

I have the new modiphius edition, Siege of the Citadel, which I enjoy, and has a solo option. There is a rather cool deck of cards that controls the dark legion.

Think it will be a while before it’s in the shops though. I got the base game from the Kickstarter, and the expansions are due soon (Christmas? Easter? Next summer?), and after that I’m guessing the base game and the expansions will be available at retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shockaday wrote:
414448 wrote:

And of course Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel, which I would probably never get to play even if I owned it (and it has no solo rules either). But the Mutant Chronicles world is such an amazingly over-the-top setting. I love the RPG.

I have the new modiphius edition, Siege of the Citadel, which I enjoy, and has a solo option. There is a rather cool deck of cards that controls the dark legion.

Think it will be a while before it’s in the shops though. I got the base game from the Kickstarter, and the expansions are due soon (Christmas? Easter? Next summer?), and after that I’m guessing the base game and the expansions will be available at retail.

Wow!

Must. Have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me:
Nations: The Dice Game
The Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game
And the French version of The Bloody Inn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
414448 wrote:

What do you want to be convinved about? I might be able to offer some discouragement :)
On Spirit Island I'm not sure I can be convinced at all as I just don't like the look of it and that would likely bother me no matter how fantastic the gameplay...

On Roll Player: I know I'd need the expansion to make it worth my while so that's about $85 or so invested. My concern is that while it would be enjoyable once or maybe twice to play, thereafter (and even the first time) the mechanics would take over and it would be basically a theme-free dice placement game. I don't need to spend $85 to do that!

Finally, I like complex games and if a game is going to be very light (as far as my own scale goes--this qualifies as super light)--it has to be very thematic and (as mentioned above) I worry this won't be/isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
414448 wrote:

What do you want to be convinved about? I might be able to offer some discouragement
On Spirit Island I'm not sure I can be convinced at all as I just don't like the look of it and that would likely bother me no matter how fantastic the gameplay...

On Roll Player: I know I'd need the expansion to make it worth my while so that's about $85 or so invested. My concern is that while it would be enjoyable once or maybe twice to play, thereafter (and even the first time) the mechanics would take over and it would be basically a theme-free dice placement game. I don't need to spend $85 to do that!

Finally, I like complex games and if a game is going to be very light (as far as my own scale goes--this qualifies as super light)--it has to be very thematic and (as mentioned above) I worry this won't be/isn't.

Well, Roll Player is super thematic. After all, making a game seem like part of another game isn't a very far-fetched concept. It DEFINITELY doesn't need the expansion. The expansion just cloggs it up, makes i less thematic, less smooth (and the boss fight that it adds is an anti-climax). It still feels like you're making an RPG character but with some add-ons. The expansion doesn't add conflict or interaction.

But, yes. Roll Player is a light game. It's also a fun game. I like it a lot.

Regarding your concerns about longevity I can't tell yet… I still enjoy it once in a while. Have played it perhaps 15 times. Happy to have gotten rid of the expansion, though. One of the most overestimated things I've encountered in gaming, actually, considering the universal praise it seems to get. Very underwhelming!

Edit: Regarding Spirit Island, I find the game's about as engaging as it looks... Very clever mechanisms, interesting theme, but completely unengaging. It's ridiculous that this game's classified as thematic here on the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
None... Guess I'm trigger happy.

Yet a couple of you guys mention Camp Grizzly, and that's one I'd certainly love to own, I have a soft spot for slasher movies and just yesterday was friday 13th.

Problem is no one sells it in Europe and Amazon USA sells it through a shop that won't ship overseas. On top of that I'd like the kickstarter version with all those expansions. Last I checked it wasn't available at geek market either.

Then again it might not be worth it, but I love the art and theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's Masmorra!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Silver Tower. It was always too expensive and I really never bonded with the Games Workshow over the top fantasy world (even less with 40K). I keep looking for it cheaper though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not sure i can convince you on Spirit Island or Roll player. I have both and both have been played several times.

For Spirit Island, It's my favorite game of all time. The Spirits play so differently. The brain burning aspect of how you are going to use your card play to deal with the explorers colonizing your island, preventing them spreading and blighting the land has me coming back for more. The variability is over the top. I find it very thematic. It's complex mostly in how you spread your presence around. Do you reclaim your cards do you draw cards and replace the major power cards for your starting cards. Match the color icons for your spirits innate power and it's cumulative for each level. It just clicks with me.

For Roll player, for me, it doesn't lose it's appeal. Surprisingly each race card, Class, alignment, backstory, etc provides just enough challenge each play. Yes it is a puzzle how you use your dice to create your character yet the market cards provide interesting benefits. Skills and traits can be beneficial too. The Monsters and Minions pack adds more options in how to approach gaining VPs.

As someone mentioned, you don't need the expansion unless you're a competitionist and enjoy the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtTenor wrote:
As someone mentioned, you don't need the expansion unless you're a competitionist and enjoy the game
Goes to show how it's all just subjective. I dismissed Roll Player until the expansion came out. I'm sure I would feel it incomplete w/o the expansion.

On Spirit Island, as mentioned, the gameplay sounds great. It's the visuals. I will watch some vids on it and see how much it continues to bother me. I have no doubt I'd like the mechanics. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
repairmanjack wrote:
Oh, and also: Wingspan. Just couldn't decide if it was too light for my tastes.

More than a year ... I ordered it this past week

The one I’ve circled longer is Bora Bora. (Is the link function not working?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
cmmayo wrote:
Too Many Bones - It's between an all-in buy and college for my two girls. Again, I'm conflicted.

You made me spit my coffee. Hilarious, and totally true. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |