March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
"Playin' solitaire 'til dawn, with a deck of fifty-one."
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceAlien wrote:
repairmanjack wrote:
Oh, and also: Wingspan. Just couldn't decide if it was too light for my tastes.

More than a year ... I ordered it this past week

The one I’ve circled longer is Bora Bora. (Is the link function not working?)

It just arrived for me too.

It's beautifully produced... and making me very excited for Tapestry arriving soon too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
See the Legendary General Forum for Back to Basics League information -- Dark City and Base Set only
badge
Join the Dark City and Base Set only monthly league -- See Legendary general forum for information
mbmbmbmbmb
414448 wrote:
Since I have little restraint when it comes to acquiring games that are available at reasonable prices, the few ones on my list that I look around for occasionally but end up not buying are ones that are not in print:

The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43
Codeword Cromwell: The German Invasion of England, 8 June 1940

And of course Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel, which I would probably never get to play even if I owned it (and it has no solo rules either). But the Mutant Chronicles world is such an amazingly over-the-top setting. I love the RPG.

Edit! And this in-your-face solo game, of course: Chainsaw Warrior!

I think someone could have a great side-job in hunting down these out of print games for people. ... send them the names of what you're looking for and they do all of the deep searches in the nooks and crannies of the internet for a small fee. ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
"Playin' solitaire 'til dawn, with a deck of fifty-one."
mbmbmbmbmb
Given my love of the companys and their previous titles, I'm surprised that I have to put Cloudspire on this list.

What I read of the solo experience is that it was scenario based, and it put me in mind of the Hoplomachus Origins solo trials. I find that to be the slightest of the three versions of the system, therefore I didn't end up going in for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron L.
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
414448 wrote:
Indeed a fun thread to read!

What do you want to be convinved about? I might be able to offer some discouragement
On Spirit Island I'm not sure I can be convinced at all as I just don't like the look of it and that would likely bother me no matter how fantastic the gameplay...

On Roll Player: I know I'd need the expansion to make it worth my while so that's about $85 or so invested. My concern is that while it would be enjoyable once or maybe twice to play, thereafter (and even the first time) the mechanics would take over and it would be basically a theme-free dice placement game. I don't need to spend $85 to do that!

Finally, I like complex games and if a game is going to be very light (as far as my own scale goes--this qualifies as super light)--it has to be very thematic and (as mentioned above) I worry this won't be/isn't.

I resisted Spirit Island for a long time for the same reason. The presentation of the box art completely turned me off. When I looked at it, I don't think I got a good feeling about what the game actually feels like to play. I would read all the great reviews, find the game at various storefronts, and conclude that whoever loved the game probably had different taste in games than I do. After looking at the game collections of people who liked the game and seeing that many of them actually had similar taste in games as me, I finally broke down and purchased it and Spirit Island has become one of my all time favorites. The card art is certainly darker than what appears on the box and may be more to your liking. I hope you are eventually able to give this one a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
ajlaw wrote:
After looking at the game collections of people who liked the game and seeing that many of them actually had similar taste in games as me, I finally broke down and purchased it and Spirit Island has become one of my all time favorites. The card art is certainly darker than what appears on the box and may be more to your liking. I hope you are eventually able to give this one a try.
As a result of this thread I just watched snippets of various vids and looked at the image section on BGG. Alas, I just can't do it. I really dislike this art direction and it would annoy me no matter how good the gameplay...

I could add this to my list of things to pay for if I ever win the lottery: hire someone to redo the entire art/components of the game so I can play a custom version!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
ajlaw wrote:
After looking at the game collections of people who liked the game and seeing that many of them actually had similar taste in games as me, I finally broke down and purchased it and Spirit Island has become one of my all time favorites. The card art is certainly darker than what appears on the box and may be more to your liking. I hope you are eventually able to give this one a try.
As a result of this thread I just watched snippets of various vids and looked at the image section on BGG. Alas, I just can't do it. I really dislike this art direction and it would annoy me no matter how good the gameplay...

I could add this to my list of things to pay for if I ever win the lottery: hire someone to redo the entire art/components of the game so I can play a custom version!

My discouragement didn't work!!!?

By the way, I really know how you feel. There are some excellent games that I just never play bevause of how they are presented (Friday comes to mind).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
414448 wrote:
My discouragement didn't work!!!?

By the way, I really know how you feel. There are some excellent games that I just never play bevause of how they are presented (Friday comes to mind).
Figured we have opposite feelings about it since for me (from the outside, admittedly), the expansion to Roll Player is the only thing that made me start considering it.

But it's possible I'd feel as distant from Spirit Island as you say you did when playing. I'll never know, as I just can't get beyond the art. I guess if I joined a game group and it came to the table that would let me know but that's just not going to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite game is Gaia Project
mb
For me it's A Feast for Odin... On and off for it since more than half a year. The cons in my head are: you already own Fields of Arle, it's similar gameplaywise, if you owned Odin, you won't play Arle anymore (and I haven't played Arle for a long time already). The pros are obvious, I think?

I had a friend's copy for some weeks so I could try it. The first game I got what I thought was a decent score (I think around 70ish). Then I tried to specialize on something else, and I got 10 points less. I tried another strategy, and lost another 10 points... It's a feeling I know too well from Arle shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
jbethany wrote:
shockaday wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
None so far. Will probably change starting November.
What’s happening in November?

I too am intrigued by this cryptic response and would like to know what's happening in November.

Apologies, you must not follow the acquisition disorder geeklist

In November, two becomes three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Cullum
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cmmayo wrote:
Brook City & Altar Quest - I want to play Street Masters before I make a decision on either (almost late pledged Altar Quest yesterday)

I'm the same - both look intriguing, but until I get my "all in" Street Masters next month and check it out, I can't send any more money to the Brady brothers !

Aeons End is also on the list - so many good reviews, but I can't seem to be convinced of replayability and how different the various wizards play

I love Spirit Island, but I do wish the island tiles were more evocative of nature and less block color. I don't mind it enough to let it spoil the card art, spirits and the game play, but I can definitely see why some folks could be completely put off by it !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siân
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
jbethany wrote:
shockaday wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
None so far. Will probably change starting November.
What’s happening in November?

I too am intrigued by this cryptic response and would like to know what's happening in November.

Apologies, you must not follow the acquisition disorder geeklist

In November, two becomes three.

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder in the East
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Johansson
Australia
Cudal
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freedom: The Underground Railroad, Middara: Unintentional Malum – Act 1, Xia: Legends of a Drift System and Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom.

Either expensive or hard to get out here. In most cases both. Also the art for DD has me on the fence. Not sure if I would be able to handle the riot of colour or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Robertson
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Daemonsson wrote:
Freedom: The Underground Railroad, Middara: Unintentional Malum – Act 1, Xia: Legends of a Drift System and Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom.

Either expensive or hard to get out here. In most cases both. Also the art for DD has me on the fence. Not sure if I would be able to handle the riot of colour or not.

Art on DD is the reason I won't buy it. And I am not picky, its the only game I can say that I won't play due to art / design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Redheaded Pharmacist
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
falnos24865 wrote:
Daemonsson wrote:

Art on DD is the reason I won't buy it. And I am not picky, its the only game I can say that I won't play due to art / design.

I was the same way until I finally caved and bought the game. It could have abstract art paint splattered all over it for all I care now. It’s a really fun game that is unapologetic about what it is including the artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Redheaded Pharmacist
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the game is Fields of Fire. I’m not even sure what’s appealing about it. I’m not much of a war game player. I guess I’ve just read too many good things from people that are experienced players.

I’ve heard so much about how it’s a unique and great solo experience if you can get a handle of the rules. And there lies the problem: I know I’d really struggle to learn this game. I just don’t need to spend money on more games that have difficult rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
cmmayo wrote:
Snowdonia - I keep thinking it's too Euro-y, but the Ricky Royal videos make it look soooo good.
Call to Adventure - Probably a game I will enjoy, but heard solo is lacking
Stuffed Fables & Comanauts - Not sure about the gameplay in either, but I love the look of each.
Folklore: The Affliction - I've heard mixed reviews
Maximum Apocalypse - Heard great things from people I know have different tastes than I do, so I'm conflicted...
Brook City & Altar Quest - I want to play Street Masters before I make a decision on either (almost late pledged Altar Quest yesterday)
Too Many Bones - It's between an all-in buy and college for my two girls. Again, I'm conflicted.

I kinda won a couple of auctions over the weekend, so these 2 are on their way to my collection... blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Greggs
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
England
flag msg tools
mb
Xia: Legends of a Drift System
I’d like something that feels a bit like the board game version of the video game Elite. It’s a bit pricey inc. expansions, though does have nice metal coins and spaceship minis.

For some reason I am not sure I will love it. I probably need to read the rules or watch a playthrough to get a better idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This War of Mine: The Board Game

I really want it but I'm also worried I'd find the theme so emotionally draining and hard that I would never want to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rixte wrote:
This War of Mine: The Board Game

I really want it but I'm also worried I'd find the theme so emotionally draining and hard that I would never want to play it.

It's an amazing game.

But not something you'd play every night...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South Korea
flag msg tools
Scythe.

I cannot find an English copy of this game anywhere in Asia (admittedly, for obvious reasons), so I need to have it imported. I'm constantly putting it in my online shopping cart, but every time I reach check out and see the shipping cost I cancel the order. Box is too damn heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dob Razil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skeletonhat wrote:
Mine is Aeon's End everyone universally loves it in the 1PG but I've just never had enough to put me over the egde.

I'm an exception. I played the base game eight times, enough to try all the components in the box, and put it away. It will come back when I have no other thing to play, which should not occur before a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
At the moment Bios: Megafauna (Second Edition). I WANT TO MESS WITH EVOLUTION! And yet I have so many games on my shelf that I already love that I'm not sure I'm ready to dive into my first Eklund game.

Someday?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dob Razil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rupertc wrote:
cmmayo wrote:

I'm the same - both look intriguing, but until I get my "all in" Street Masters next month and check it out, I can't send any more money to the Brady brothers !

Being unable to wait for Street Masters, I went all in for Brook City, and ended up disappointed : the promising theme does not shine when you play, it feels like ressource management, and it does not scale well, leading to way too long games during which what you have to do feels very repetitive.
Waiting for Street Masters to arrive next month, I hope BC flaws won't have killed SM to me, in the sense that having seen the mechanics flaws and the theme pasted on them in BC could forbid me to enjoy SM.

Quote:
Aeons End is also on the list - so many good reviews, but I can't seem to be convinced of replayability and how different the various wizards play

Again, I found AE not really interesting. Sure, the mechanics are very well designed, and you can see in which way they are some kind of next evolutive step in the deckbuilding games, but it fell flat, not having me want to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] |