Subject: Game you keep coming back to but never quite pull the trigger? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dob Razil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an answer to the original question, I would say
Lock 'n Load Tactical: Heroes of Normandy or any other game from this collection along with Lock 'n Load Tactical: Solo, but building and trying Lock 'n Load Tactical: Starter Kit didn't completely convince me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Aeons End is also on the list - so many good reviews, but I can't seem to be convinced of replayability and how different the various wizards play

The replayability depends on what you're looking for. If you randomize the market then you'll find it quite high. If you don't want to face a Nemesis you've already beaten again then you'll find it quite low. I should note that I played 250 times and haven't tired of it yet.

The mages in AE1 are quite versatile. So they can feel rather similar to one another. Of course they are not, if you start exploiting their charged ability rather often then they will feel very different. From AE2 onward the mages are less versatile (which is not good) but more different from one another (which may be good) so they will play more differently.

It is a very, very good game that yields a ton of replay-value and redefines the genre, but as seen above, isn't for everyone. But which game is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
As others has said i am also stuck on Too Many Bones. I put the base game in the basket and the cost is... "OK". Then I read I should grab Nugget, Ghille and im intrigued by Gasket... then I should really add age of tyranny...
Ive manged to say no to premium health... but Australian $432($63.14USD shipping)and I am in NZ so thats $465!
People say start with the base.... but they quickly follow up with BUT you will buy everything including... and shipping is so expensive bundling is the only really option... sigh the cycle continues...

Edit
I broke my lurker status to share this pain...
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siân
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Credencee wrote:
As others has said i am also stuck on Too Many Bones. I put the base game in the basket and the cost is... "OK". Then I read I should grab Nugget, Ghille and im intrigued by Gasket... then I should really add age of tyranny...
Ive manged to say no to premium health... but Australian $432($63.14USD shipping)and I am in NZ so thats $465!
People say start with the base.... but they quickly follow up with BUT you will buy everything including... and shipping is so expensive bundling is the only really option... sigh the cycle continues...

Edit

Aah, if there is one game worth breaking lurker status for its too many bones!

Totally get your dilemma, I love the game, but it is pricey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to stay with the CTG theme, I have difficulty pulling the trigger on Hoplomachus.

I've had it in my basket pretty much every Too Many Bones pledge manager, I've been this close to buying it on the webshop on half a dozen occasions, but I've never actually done it.

Some day. Some day I'll buy it. I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
dobrazil wrote:
Rupertc wrote:
cmmayo wrote:
Brook City & Altar Quest - I want to play Street Masters before I make a decision on either (almost late pledged Altar Quest yesterday)

I'm the same - both look intriguing, but until I get my "all in" Street Masters next month and check it out, I can't send any more money to the Brady brothers !

Being unable to wait for Street Masters, I went all in for Brook City, and ended up disappointed : the promising theme does not shine when you play, it feels like ressource management, and it does not scale well, leading to way too long games during which what you have to do feels very repetitive.
Waiting for Street Masters to arrive next month, I hope BC flaws won't have killed SM to me, in the sense that having seen the mechanics flaws and the theme pasted on them in BC could forbid me to enjoy SM.

...and now there's a superhero themed version: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2278345/blacklist-games-ann...

I should receive Street Masters in time to try it out before the Kickstarter is over in late November. I'm actually hopeful that I like the system, because...

Another Game I Can't Quite Pull the Trigger on: Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmmayo wrote:
Another Game I Can't Quite Pull the Trigger on: Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Since that game hasn't been released, you CAN'T pull the trigger on it! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Credencee wrote:

Edit

TMB is definitely a game that is hard to pull the trigger on. The base game is fine, but part of what you are paying for goes towards the component quality. Gameplay wise the game is not worth $130 + expensive shipping. There are a couple of limitations that may make buying addons mandatory for some.

1. The first 3 encounters are always the same. That's my biggest gripe with the game. Age of Tyranny fixes that, but are you going to spend $25 just to buy more day 1 to day 3 encounters? Newcomers won't care for the campaign until much later.

2. There are 4 characters in the base game, and each character has about 2 to 3 builds with slight deviations. If you play the game enough it can start to feel repetitive. I also find the character composition questionable. There is only one ranged character in the base set, and both Patches and Picket are redundant(tanking characters that can provide defense/health to their allies).

3. Whether to get the premium health chips have always been a mixed opinion. I haven't gotten the premium chips yet but I have them on order. The regular health chips are very slippery and it can be hard to move the stacks of health around, especially since the gearloc/baddie chips are the heavier versions.

If you want to get everything in one go while keeping the budget as reasonable as possible, the addons I would recommend are Ghillie, Nugget, and Tyranny. Ghillie adds a second ranged character. Nugget is a melee character that can sometimes be ranged and she is easier to learn. I hate recommending Tyranny just for those 21 Day 1-3 encounters, but the game can feel like a chore when you are repeating the same thing for the first 25%-33% of the game. If you have poker chips around, you can play around with 4g chips and see how the regular health chips feel. The premium ones are 11g if you have that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be honest, I do love the idea of Spirit Island, but the art is just too cartoony for me. It's sat in Amazon basket purgatory for a while now because of this...

As an aside, the Mage Knight Broken Token insert is so very tempting. But...it's not a game...but I think I need it...but...it's not a game...but...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luckystreak wrote:
I'll be honest, I do love the idea of Spirit Island, but the art is just too cartoony for me. It's sat in Amazon basket purgatory for a while now because of this...

As an aside, the Mage Knight Broken Token insert is so very tempting. But...it's not a game...but I think I need it...but...it's not a game...but...

Now I'm not usually one to say positive things about Spirit Island, but I found the art on the cards to be just fine. It's less cartoony than the cover.

And if you love the idea, as you write, as long as you're aware that it is a pretty deterministic and dry game, the mechanisms are very true to the idea that you love...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Zombicide: Invader in my shopping cart (I'm about to get rid of some games within the next few days, so I though why not...).

Please convince me, one way or the other
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
414448 wrote:
I've got Zombicide: Invader in my shopping cart (I'm about to get rid of some games within the next few days, so I though why not...).

Getting it would keep you that many dollars away from getting into the real deals that are KD:M, AH:LCG, or AT:O.

These are the ones you want, not so re-re-rehashed meh SF mindless amerithrash overproduced game lacking what's really interesting during their KS: buttloads of stretch-goals for painters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
414448 wrote:

Getting it would keep you that many dollars away from getting into the real deals that are KD:M, AH:LCG, or AT:O.

These are the ones you want, not so re-re-rehashed meh SF mindless amerithrash overproduced game lacking what's really interesting during their KS: buttloads of stretch-goals for painters.

Well, those are some valid opinions.

Speaking of your opinions – I can now see why you are so infatuated with Aeon's End. Wow!

But AT:O? Can't figure that abbreviation out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
everdell. With the recent KS expansions, I have an inkling to go ahead and go all in but at whast cost?cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
414448 wrote:
It's Aeon Trespass: Odyssey, a high-ticket price miniatures-heavy game currently on Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wilson
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought Spirit Island was just ok. I'm not a fan of the artwork either, and while the theme was very refreshing, the gameplay didn't resonate with me. Traded my copy on to a better home, which is how it should be.

I think the one game I keep coming back to is Champions of Hara. Just can't quite decide whether I'd like it or not, so I haven't bought it. But I do think about it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomObfuscation wrote:
414448 wrote:
It's Aeon Trespass: Odyssey, a high-ticket price miniatures-heavy game currently on Kickstarter.

High price is a matter of point of view. Considering the game is partly aiming at doing what KD:M does, it's quite cheap. Especially considering what's included. One tends not to see anything beyond minis. There are much more than mere minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamiko
Poland
flag msg tools
houserules wrote:

The Bloody Inn is another. Not sure the solo version is worth it, and I suspect only one of my gaming friends will enjoy the quirky theme.

I don't recommend it as solo. And as a multi, it's also just "ok".

I have a list of games I'm coming back to, but I'm to scared to actually buy them: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/255913/i-would-yet-im-sca...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
RandomObfuscation wrote:
414448 wrote:

High price is a matter of point of view. Considering the game is partly aiming at doing what KD:M does, it's quite cheap. Especially considering what's included. One tends not to see anything beyond minis. There are much more than mere minis.
No one is saying there isn't more to the game than "mere minis".

You can't argue that a lot of minis do not increase the price point of a game considerably.

There might be a lot of value in the box with components and game play, but saying something is "cheap compared to Kingdom Death: Monster" really just emphasizes how not-cheap it is in actuality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomObfuscation wrote:
You can't argue that a lot of minis do not increase the price point of a game considerably.

There might be a lot of value in the box with components and game play, but saying something is "cheap compared to Kingdom Death: Monster" really just emphasizes how not-cheap it is in actuality.

It's cheap compared to KD:M and it's relevant because it's aiming at doing in part what KD:M does, only mixed with what 7th Continent (another expensive game) does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
RandomObfuscation wrote:

It's cheap compared to KD:M and it's relevant because it's aiming at doing in part what KD:M does, only mixed with what 7th Continent (another expensive game) does.
Sure. It's relevant, it's cheap "compared to KD:M" - I haven't said it isn't, I'm saying its still got a relatively high price point compared to the average game you are going to pull off the shelf at your FLGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of pulling triggers, does anybody happen to have a copy of the second edition of Siege of the Citadel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mat
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
414448 wrote:
Speaking of pulling triggers, does anybody happen to have a copy of the second edition of Siege of the Citadel?

I'm a backer and it hasn't shipped yet maybe in the next 90 days it might ship or it might be closer to 6 months...lol...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh, and another game for me (that I was reminded of today) is Dungeon Alliance. Seems like I'd like it, as I like Mage Knight, but it's been a couple of years since I've played MK, so if this game is like it, then doesn't seem I should buy it. Also not real keen on the look.

But I'd love to be convinced otherwise as I do like the genre and deck-building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

Oh, and another game for me (that I was reminded of today) is Dungeon Alliance. Seems like I'd like it, as I like Mage Knight, but it's been a couple of years since I've played MK, so if this game is like it, then doesn't seem I should buy it. Also not real keen on the look.

But I'd love to be convinced otherwise as I do like the genre and deck-building.

I have my eyes on that game as well. Seems very interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] |