United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently (last year and this year now) been enjoying watching football; my wife explaining the rules & strategy has completely changed the game for me (literally).

Are there any decent solo football games I should check out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Football Highlights: 2052 will be out in October. It’s the next game in Mike Fitzgerald’s Highlights Series after the excellent Baseball Highlights: 2045.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inside Blitz and especially Second Season are good for solo season replays.

Football Highlights is going to be fun but it's not going to be a super realistic representation of the actual sport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Baumgarten
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameDay Football
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Inside Blitz and Second Season football games for the more realistic sim based games. I also would add 4th Street Football to that same list.
My favorite football game (currently my favorite solo game period) is one that mixes simulation with some degree of abstraction: Breakaway Football
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Jahr
Germany
Uelsby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inside Blitz and Second Season for simulation games.

While many prefer Second season for the play descriptions in the book I found them rather superfluous. It has a lot of flipping pages too, which, for me, slowed everything down. I like the gameplay and small size of Inside Blitz much more.

My favourite football game ( and almost game overall) is Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged. Don't be fooled by the pixel/arcardy presentation, at it's core it is a great simulation of football if you play with the advanced rules and the new Madden20 Variant by the designer. It's best with two though.
There is a solo variant in the rules, but it's not that great (*edit* thats a bit harsh, it's fun but not enough to justify buying the game for playing just solo *edit*. The rules can be found online if you want to check that out.
There is a fan made automa/ai opponent in the files section though, which seems rather good, but I didn't had the time to play with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weteor wrote:

My favourite football game ( and almost game overall) is Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged. Don't be fooled by the pixel/arcardy presentation, at it's core it is a great simulation of football if you play with the advanced rules and the new Madden20 Variant by the designer. It's best with two though.
There is a solo variant in the rules, but it's not that great. Rules can be found online if you want to check that out.
There is a fan made automa/ai opponent in the files section though, which seems rather good, but I didn't had the time to play with it.

Seconded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Waite
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have both Second Season and Breakaway Football with football highlights on the way. I play second season as more of an observer to see who wins. Breakaway football you actually play against the a.i. I love both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Smithwick
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Chip Theory Games ... I'm a believer!
badge
Hot Air Balloons ... nuff said!
mbmbmbmbmb
fiatkid55 wrote:
weteor wrote:

There is a solo variant in the rules, but it's not that great. Rules can be found online if you want to check that out.

Seconded

Thirded (is that a word ... no? Too bad!)! Probably one of my top 5 favorite games. I'll be starting to play this solo soon and trying my hand at a mini season using all of the different variants and such that are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicagopsych wrote:

My favorite football game (currently my favorite solo game period) is one that mixes simulation with some degree of abstraction: Breakaway Football

This - my favorite football game as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control! We have assumed control! We have assumed control!
mbmbmbmbmb
gocamels wrote:
chicagopsych wrote:

Damn you guys are making me seriously consider that one... And I will be placing a GameCrafter order next month... hrrrrrm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Delinck
United States
Hobart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has me wondering...is there a football game out there that allows your to create a custom league and simulate multiple seasons on more of a league level? It would be less of a dense single game sim, and more of a score generator on a team level so that you could conceivably simulate an entire season of a league.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaud
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Shop at GameSurplus.com
badge
Shop at GameSurplus.com
mbmbmbmbmb
DFu4ever wrote:
This thread has me wondering...is there a football game out there that allows your to create a custom league and simulate multiple seasons on more of a league level? It would be less of a dense single game sim, and more of a score generator on a team level so that you could conceivably simulate an entire season of a league.

Pen & Paper Football

It's $2.99 on DriveThruRPG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Delinck
United States
Hobart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I am totally checking that out when I get off work! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaud
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Shop at GameSurplus.com
badge
Shop at GameSurplus.com
mbmbmbmbmb
DFu4ever wrote:
Yeah, I am totally checking that out when I get off work! Thank you!

You’re welcome. I am using it to simulate NFL games in my 1st and Roll league I’m playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DFu4ever wrote:

Not quite what you're after, but Second Season has a quick result chart that lets you simulate the league's week in about 5 minutes or so. One roll per game and then a lookup on a chart. It's one of the things that gives it the edge over Inside Blitz if you're planning on doing a full season replay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
gocamels wrote:
chicagopsych wrote:

Damn you guys are making me seriously consider that one... And I will be placing a GameCrafter order next month... hrrrrrm.

Me too. I'd never heard of it, but if so many people rate it, it's worth a look.

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaud
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Shop at GameSurplus.com
badge
Shop at GameSurplus.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ColintheFlea wrote:
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
gocamels wrote:
chicagopsych wrote:

Me too. I'd never heard of it, but if so many people rate it, it's worth a look.

Colin

I was tempted and then watched the solo playthrough and that made me decide to pass. It looks cool and well thought out, but it was a bit too abstracted for me. Plus, fictional teams are less of a draw for me. I realize of course they can't use real teams due to licensing, but they could be "close approximations" or have a way to generate your own teams. That's a bit tough because of the play cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinruns262 wrote:
ColintheFlea wrote:
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
gocamels wrote:
chicagopsych wrote:

Colin

I was tempted and then watched the solo playthrough and that made me decide to pass. It looks cool and well thought out, but it was a bit too abstracted for me. Plus, fictional teams are less of a draw for me. I realize of course they can't use real teams due to licensing, but they could be "close approximations" or have a way to generate your own teams. That's a bit tough because of the play cards.

Download the strategy guide and you can read up on the historical teams he based the fictional ones on. Also you will see the teams' strengths and weakness. Then you can see how much the abstractions represent real football such as low completion percentage/big gain gunslingers verse ball control low yardage passers, all the way down to running teams eating up more clock. The Facebook page also has a lot of discussion on the the creative process of the teams.

I balance out my football board gaming with Inside Blitz for the straight sim. But the fun factor and play time gets this one played more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc ???????
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinruns262 wrote:
ColintheFlea wrote:
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
gocamels wrote:
chicagopsych wrote:

Colin

It's an abstraction, but I would argue that the essence of the game of football and the considerations that a coach has to pour through are as well represented in Breakaway as they are in any hardcore football tabletop.

I think the abstraction actually circumvents a lot of flaws that other games may have when it comes to realistic outcomes and game play aspects in all facets of the game.

As for the fictional teams, I agree, it's not the same thing as the real thing. So consider it another abstraction. But in terms of the team attributes, they resemble their NFL counterparts very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmb
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
gocamels wrote:
chicagopsych wrote:

There was a crowd sale for it last month but it only got 6 backers (I was one of them but cancelled after it ended because I got cold feet).

It looks to be a cool game but the price is just too high imo. I reached out to the designer and offered to help lower the cost by over $10 by resizing the play card from Tarot to Poker but he declined a couple different times. He needs to get the price down to more like $39.99 imo.

Anyhow, if the price isn't an issue, I think it is a well designed game that captures the theme about as well as it can with the components. And I say that as both a former player and coach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
gocamels wrote:
chicagopsych wrote:

There was a crowd sale for it last month but it only got 6 backers (I was one of them but cancelled after it ended because I got cold feet).

It looks to be a cool game but the price is just too high imo. I reached out to the designer and offered to help lower the cost by over $10 by resizing the play card from Tarot to Poker but he declined a couple different times. He needs to get the price down to more like $39.99 imo.

Anyhow, if the price isn't an issue, I think it is a well designed game that captures the theme about as well as it can with the components. And I say that as both a former player and coach.

Yes, it is pretty expensive. That is why it is mostly serious football and table top sports fans buying it. I think the tarot sized cards add a lot to the game. I think he would have to have the game printed in China to get the price to be more in line with large publishers' board game prices. However, being a football game based on historical teams and star players it not likely to have enough buyers for a large China print run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the other games recommended on here are going to approach 80-100$ once you get the materials for a full season replay, so I don't see any alarm bells going off for Breakaway's price compared to the competition.

Question - the page says that it has been reimplemented by Hurry Up Offense. So why is everyone recommending the older game. Usually when you see "reimplemented" on here, it means the game has been superceded by a newer version and is now obsolete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
Most of the other games recommended on here are going to approach 80-100$ once you get the materials for a full season replay, so I don't see any alarm bells going off for Breakaway's price compared to the competetion.

But doesn't the base price for Breakaway only get you 2 teams? Each 4 team expansion is $30, and to get the whole thing, it's closer to $170, no? That seems a lot. I was interested, and watched the solo play through, but I can't really justify that price, unfortunately.

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |