1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: Buying a Pledge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
So I have the option to buy a pledge. It's good timing as it will be shipped soon and it's one of those games that will be expensive to get in the future. Plus it has been getting good reviews.

I've never done this before though. It seems to me like the whole transaction is entirely based on trust. And by the way if the seller is reading this please take no offence to this inquiry to the guild! Also the seller does strike me as being upfront and trustworthy.

So how does it work? You send the money and they change the pledge, shipping address and send you a confirmation when it locks down? I suppose that's all you can do. Would paypal offer any sort of protection?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoopder
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
Paypal offers protection on anything you are purchasing through it, from what I understand. Without knowing exactly what game you're talking about and what process they want you to go through, I can't really say much else.

Usually these sorts of things have a pledge manager they can give you access to, or a website where you could conduct your transaction.

Edit: I did not catch that this was a private transaction between two users. In that case, what I said about Paypal should still apply, but will simply echo the others below by saying, "Of course this is entirely based on trust."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there is no exact standard for Kickstarter fulfillment, there really isn’t a formula for this.

I’ve purchased a pledge after addresses were “locked” so it had to be shipped to the original backer. I’ve also purchased pledges where fulfillment was done in two waves, so there were two shipping hand-offs to settle.

I put my faith in the seller and the PayPal protections. In my circumstance, the seller had backer’s remorse, so an incentive to accept a dollar amount close to the original pledge was the comfort of knowing he had the funds in-hand immediately instead of having to wait for fulfillment before I would pay him. I trusted that if he didn’t live up to his end of the bargain, I could dispute it through PayPal and try to recover my funds.

At the end of the day, though, it’s an exercise in trust. As the buyer, are you getting something out of paying for it now instead of waiting for the game to ship to backers and buying an inevitable unwanted copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Griffith
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did it via BGG, but the user converted the email on file to mine and then I had control of the pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course trust is involved. At least with the Kickstarter shipping soon you'll know sooner than later whether your trust was warranted.

The original purchaser would just have to contact the company and give them your name and address for shipment. My experience is that once addresses are locked down it can still be a while before shipment actually occurs. Have them forward you any notice of shipment if they can't have them sent to your email address directly, and ask them to forward all status updates to the Kickstarter so you can stay in the loop are far as actual shipment dates and fulfillment issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankie Bones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sold my pledges twice and both times it worked flawlessly. I accepted paypal from the buyer and then I changed the delivery address in the pledge manager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ACBez wrote:
It seems to me like the whole transaction is entirely based on trust.

Are you under the impression this is any different than any transaction you would make on BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmb
ACBez wrote:
So I have the option to buy a pledge. It's good timing as it will be shipped soon and it's one of those games that will be expensive to get in the future. Plus it has been getting good reviews.

I've never done this before though. It seems to me like the whole transaction is entirely based on trust. And by the way if the seller is reading this please take no offence to this inquiry to the guild! Also the seller does strike me as being upfront and trustworthy.

So how does it work? You send the money and they change the pledge, shipping address and send you a confirmation when it locks down? I suppose that's all you can do. Would paypal offer any sort of protection?

Thanks!

Just make sure that you pay through paypal via Goods/Services instead of as Friends/Family and it is very secure. Any issue that you report locks down that money until it is resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls