Popular Tags: [View All]
Ting Lawrence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey 1PG friends,

Just a heads up that W.M. Akers has a sale going on for all of the Deadball products. 30% off!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/11204/WM-Akers

Deadball is a great baseball simulation game that is easy to run. If you've been on the fence about getting it, now's a good time.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaud
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Shop at GameSurplus.com
badge
Shop at GameSurplus.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I was debating whether to get Deadball III. I have the original and II and don't have an interest in 1909.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can people share some opinions about the game? I love BBH2045 (yes I know it's not real baseball) and realize this is nothing like that haha, but I passed on the KS and sort of regretted it after it was done but I haven't looked at this since either, so... anyway, I'll go check out some SGOYT reports as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fun. I like that you can make your own team with actual player stats. For example, you take the batter's average, roll percentile dice, if the result is anything up to the batting average, hit!

It's fun to build teams, but there aren't a huge amount of decisions during the game. You can do all the usual things - pinch hit, bunt, shift, pitch out, pick off, steal, change pitchers, etc. But otherwise you are more or less watching the game play out. It's still fun and the players come to life in cool ways. You get Ty Cobb hitting clutch triples to drive home a couple runs! Nolan Ryan still throwing hard enough to mow down the side in late innings!

There are a lot of optional rules that add modifiers, which makes players more unique but can bog things down a bit. It's still a fun and clever system to play around with. It's very much baseball (as opposed to BH2045) It's more like Strat-o-Matic with more customization options and fewer tables (but there are still tables, they just all fit on a single sheet of paper!)

edit: ran a solo challenge a few months back where everyone created a team from actual players and played a best-of-seven series against a hall of famer team. No one won the series against the hall of fame team, but some came close! (I didn't laugh )

Here's the thread if interested: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2175331/spring-air-deadball...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pjandy wrote:

Thanks, I remember that...and I'm subscribed to it haha! I wonder why I did that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haha nice. good times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pjandy wrote:

There are a lot of optional rules that add modifiers, which makes players more unique but can bog things down a bit. It's still a fun and clever system to play around with. It's very much baseball (as opposed to BH2045) It's more like Strat-o-Matic with more customization options and fewer tables (but there are still tables, they just all fit on a single sheet of paper!)

I keep it lean and am long overdue to play again. And, yes, I need to get Nolan Ryan pitching!

No matter who I play, it is lots o' fun. One of the interesting series I rolled up was 1939 New York Yankees v. 1999 New York Yankees. The 1939 Yanks win:

4-0
6-2
7-3

ldp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Arnold
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tempted by DB III.

Note I have a fan site here: https://www.deadball.org that includes some rosters (need to get back to those!) and a die roller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls