Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
68 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: Upcoming Changes to BGG Mechanics / Mechanisms: "STR-04 Solo Game" and the 1 Player Guild... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:
Personally I think it would be a mistake and disservice to label EVERY game anyone plays solo as a solo game. I'd rather limit it to games that are designed to be soloable, have a solo variant included with the game, or co-ops that can reasonably be played solo. If the term/label is applied too broadly it can become almost meaningless. But that's just my personal opinion and I'm not looking to start an argument. Of course, everyone is free to approach it however they see fit.

It has to pass approval with an admin, so I'm hopefully that will help. That is why I think it's important to include a justification that makes a strong argument. The strongest argument will probably be: "solo mode in the rulebook."

I wonder if multi-handing coops will pass inspection. Gloomhaven for example, might be rejected on that basis, but the inclusion of the Solo Scenarios in the system might be enough for it to pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to get off-topic here and post too much, but I attended a few workshops and seminars at a recent convention. It was interesting to hear some game designers talk about the whole process of publishing a game.

One thing that came up was the idea of the solo game. Someone mentioned our guild (yay!) but said that we had just surpassed 30,000 members. No? It wasn't a time where I could jump in to add a correction, though.

Someone asked about the importance of having a solo mode, and one of the panelists had a very eloquent answer about how it comes down to the perceived value of a game: "If I can't play with a group, at least I can play on my own."

I'm not saying it's a bad perspective, yet I think there's a lot more to solo gamers. We fall into a lot of different categories, and don't all play for the same reasons. This is why STR-04 might somehow get misinterpreted by various gamer types.

But I digress! I'm all for having a useful classification system, yet I'm not sure if the administrators thought it all out. It's like they saw the system in the textbook and decided that it would be a nice way to organize mechanisms on the site.

I don't know if anyone asked the right questions... How do people use game mechanisms to understand games? What is the most useful way to present game information to both new and existing board game owners?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hagthorpe
United States
Aloha
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Defiantly opposing the scourge of poorly written rules, the tyranny of errant cats and the injustice of small tables!
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as designations go I'd give STR-04 a 17.n3 on the Quimby-Ricotta volumetric accuracy strata.

>;^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
DefaultIdiot wrote:
As far as designations go I'd give STR-04 a 17.n3 on the Quimby-Ricotta volumetric accuracy strata.

>;^)

That makes me feel like ID-10-T.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
More granular categories for game mechanics aren't a bad thing, but how they're currently being presented isn't the best.

The prefixes don't mean anything to most people. It shouldn't be hard to set up something server-side that reads "STR-04 Solo Game" and displays "Solo Gameplay" or whatever instead. Much more human-friendly.

Two, displaying every game mechanic and giving them all equal priority isn't ideal. Some are more important than others - 'Worker Placement' vs. 'Always Available Purchases', for example. I like the idea of a more detailed breakdown of games via said tags, but there needs to be some prioritization about what gets shown. The rest can probably be tucked into a dropdown or expanding list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think that the tag should only be for those games that have a solo mode available in rule book. (How should it be noted if the solo mode is only available in the Kickstarter edition and not retail? I'm seeing more and more of that these days...). That being said, I actually blocked the main thread on this, because I'm sick of even seeing it pop up on my new posts list.

What I really, really want, though, is a STR-04 t-shirt. Pleeeease? Someone design a t-shirt, stat!

(And a robot mini called STR-04. I want one of those, too, thanks.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sword S256
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
skeletonhat wrote:
In case anyone is as lost as I was:

STR-04 is shorthand for "Structure related mechanic with ID 04" relating to solo gaming as a structural mechanism. Not something cool like a droid or a strength value of 4...
This was my first train of thoughts too whistle STR = Strength.. not until I see that STR is structure related mechanic..

And do we need to take it another step.. by saying what mechanism of solo game? Like beat your own score, win/ lose condition, automa/ bot...?

GeekTurtle wrote:
Done! My Strength stat is now 4!
And then we can level up to STR-100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Redheaded Pharmacist
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sense a STR-04 microbadge coming really soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Thomas
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kush7 wrote:

(And a robot mini called STR-04. I want one of those, too, thanks.)

But you'll have to build it yourself. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
i feel like we're playing tug of war...
badge
...and i'm the rope.
mbmbmb
Petition to rename this to the STR-04 Guild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Ladysmith
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeesh. I think I'll stick with "Solo Game", and give IG-88 the 411 to 187 the STR-04.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So I haven't really looked into the source of this conversation, like what is this book and what are all the mechanics under discussion, but this conversation is exactly what I love about this guild -- I keep snorting my drink as I catch up on the posts! I will totally buy the STR-04 t-shirt and microbadge -- oh, and can we have a plushie?! We need a STR-04 plushie!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Johansson
Australia
Cudal
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I need to consult a glossary to understand a term given to categorise a game mechanic then I believe said term is superfluous to my needs.

I'll just keep looking at SGOYT, the 1PG threads and continue my research and buying habits as before. ie: blaming Kevin and Jessica for my bulging shelves and ongoing poverty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daemonsson wrote:
If I need to consult a glossary to understand a term given to categorise a game mechanic then I believe said term is superfluous to my needs.

I'll just keep looking at SGOYT, the 1PG threads and continue my research and buying habits as before. ie: blaming Kevin and Jessica for my bulging shelves and ongoing poverty.

+a gazillion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kush7 wrote:
What I really, really want, though, is a STR-04 t-shirt. Pleeeease? Someone design a t-shirt, stat!

https://www.redbubble.com/people/cornishlee/works/41248008-s...

My first time doing anything like this, so I'm not entirely sure how it works. If anyone actually buys one and the T-Shirt company sends me any proceeds I'll donate it to charity. Maybe Gamechangers, that seems vaguely appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not even comfortable with "mechanisms." There's no way I'm gonna adopt billing codes for my board game discussions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite game is Gaia Project
mb
I'm not much of an RPG guy, so to me, "STR-04" sounds like a character string of length 4. I guess, that's how my brain works...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam "Rolling Solo" Smith
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Play or interested in the growing world of solo play? Check out youtube.com/RollingSolo
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back from getting my STR-04 tattoo. NO REGRETS! 😜
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
Kush7 wrote:

https://www.redbubble.com/people/cornishlee/works/41248008-s...

My first time doing anything like this, so I'm not entirely sure how it works. If anyone actually buys one and the T-Shirt company sends me any proceeds I'll donate it to charity. Maybe Gamechangers, that seems vaguely appropriate.

Fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
You can go off and rule the universe from beyond the grave.
badge
Or check into a psycho ward, which ever comes first, huh?
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unequalled wrote:
Just got back from getting my STR-04 tattoo. NO REGRETS! 😜

I believe you mean "NO REGERTS."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Albia wrote:
I've seen a recommendation to have some sort of voting system in place, similar to what happens when you look further into the player count, age range, weight, language dependence, and type.

[...]

Ah, and before I forget, this idea originally appeared in this reply by apertotes. I have nothing to add, aside from my support and agreement!

Love, love, love this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmmayo wrote:

Someone should contact Fantasy Flight Games and let them know they messed up the cover. The text on the bottom right of the box should read:

"A STR-02 game with UNC-07 and ECO-12"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks so UNC-mon.
Or UN-CMON? I'm so CON-fused
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Gardner
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I was working on my game and I had this great idea for the special ability of a new character I am working on. He is a scrapper bot and his name is STR-04. He doesn't play well with others and would prefer to go in alone. I will hopefully start playtesting him tonight!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Well, actually he is rather good at working on a team but for comedic purposes.meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |