Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
68 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 

1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: Upcoming Changes to BGG Mechanics / Mechanisms: "STR-04 Solo Game" and the 1 Player Guild... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gah....gotta love this modern obsession with acronyms that make no sense. Ah well, YOLO I guess, YMMV etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
mihnea_1309 wrote:
Gah....gotta love this modern obsession with acronyms that make no sense. Ah well, YOLO I guess, YMMV etc...

TL;DR you're a hipster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Skelding
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like "has a solo mode in the rulebook" isn't actually necessarily a good metric? Think of all the rulebooks that give really bad solo modes. And then compare that to games that are frequently played solo but the rulebook doesn't mention it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danneq wrote:
I feel like "has a solo mode in the rulebook" isn't actually necessarily a good metric? Think of all the rulebooks that give really bad solo modes. And then compare that to games that are frequently played solo but the rulebook doesn't mention it.

That's the least of my concerns. I don't trust the BGG admins to have the time or knowledge to accurately vet every suggestion (this is based on my experience of the way things work at the moment) and many people have a pretty shaky understanding of boardgame mechanism definitions - just look at the number of people who refer to the time-track in Glen More as a 'rondel', or the resource wheels in Glass Road as 'rondels' for examples (OK, I'm picking on a particularly obtuse example in 'rondel' but I could equally have cited 'deck-builder' as an example of common misunderstanding). Basically, any database will only be as accurate as the data it contains and the source of the data being put into this one is not one I'd trust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, who is going to decide if a solo mode is good or not and if a game is worthy of being labeled STR-04 [sic]? I'd rather include all games that have solo modes and leave the qualitative analysis to the 1PG in threads, reviews, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
just look at the number of people who refer to the time-track in Glen More as a 'rondel', or the resource wheels in Glass Road as 'rondels' for examples (OK, I'm picking on a particularly obtuse example in 'rondel' but I could equally have cited 'deck-builder' as an example of common misunderstanding).
gulp

Or the ubiquitous "worker placement" for just about anything or the oft misunderstood "action drafting."

I'm not about to open a debate on it; I gave up caring about nomenclature on BGG years ago and now just entertain my friends (I hope) with clarifications. But now suddenly it's potentially relevant.

I dunno. Looks like it's happening but I guess I'm dubious of its ultimate usefulness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI- I realized these detailed codes are missing detailed definitions (unless you buy the book I guess), so I submitted Five Tribes as a sort of test case, on the grounds that it has official, designer-created solo rules available on the Days of Wonder website. It was declined with this message:

“Your correction for Five Tribes has been declined.

Reason: Player count is based on what is stated on the box and what is supported by the contents in the box.

Additional core sets, expansions, and online only rules are not factored in.

Regards

Sincerely,
'Geek Admins”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's not very good... Another similar example is Expedition: Northwest Passage that has an official solo mode that didn't make it into the box. It's an often-overlooked solo game since it doesn't appear to offer a solo mode on the surface.

The more I think about this system, the less I like it. It's not user-friendly by any means, and I keep questioning who the target audience is. It's almost like it's made for board game design classes and the small percentage of academic professionals.

That in itself isn't an issue, but what about the majority who could benefit from a proper classification system? This information is almost so niche that it will be irrelevant or downright confusing to a lot of board game players.

For what it's worth, the preview on Amazon is pretty extensive and gives some of the detailed definitions. This is an interesting element of the STR-04 description:
Building Blocks of Tabletop Game Design (pages 13-14) wrote:
Solo games are enjoyed by a large, active, and growing community who continues to homebrew solo versions of multiplayer games, host contests and challenges, and enjoy an unexpected comradery despite the solitary nature of their pastime. Increasingly, including a solo mode is a desirable feature for published multiplayer games, and the success of a number of solo-only games, like Friday and Hostage Negotiator, has established that there is a market even for the loneliest of player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Who's ordering STR-04 shirts this instant?

Ordering? Buy a few iron on letters and I'm doing this one at home!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
has established that there is a market even for the loneliest of player counts.

Lonely?

shake

*looks around at 1PG*

It's actually getting a bit crowded in here!

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
spaceman23 wrote:

shake
My thoughts exactly! It's like saying that there is a market for books since reading is one of the loneliest activities. Or maybe that's a stretch, but this statement doesn't sit well with me.

It only exasperates the cliche that us solo players are lonely, socially awkward, and/or just a sad group of people who can't find anyone else to play games with.

Sorry... I get a little offended when the decision to play solo is looked down upon like this. I understand the perspective, but I enjoy conversing with people about it to show how solo games offer up so much more.

Here, it's presented as a fact with no way to disagree nor offer up counterpoints. It's just... There.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some still believe that we're soloing not by choice, but by necessity.

I feel so lonely after declining to meet my group who wants to play a game I dislike because I'm all invested in my KD:M campaign crycrycry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albia wrote:
spaceman23 wrote:

shake
It only exasperates the cliche that us solo players are lonely, socially awkward, and/or just a sad group of people who can't find anyone else to play games with.

I can see how it could be interpreted that way but I took the sentence at grammatical face value - it's the player count that's lonely, not the player.

I'd also be wary about reading too much into a throwaway comment that's probably made with tongue in cheek. Maybe it isn't - I lack context from the book and the authors - but maybe it is and I'm always willing to offer the benefit of the doubt rather than take offence. There's enough for me to get upset about in the world as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
I can see how it could be interpreted that way but I took the sentence at grammatical face value - it's the player count that's lonely, not the player.

I'd also be wary about reading too much into a throwaway comment that's probably made with tongue in cheek. Maybe it isn't - I lack context from the book and the authors - but maybe it is and I'm always willing to offer the benefit of the doubt rather than take offence. There's enough for me to get upset about in the world as it is.
Good points, Lee. I think I'm on the lookout for any reason to be more wary of this system... Most likely I'm reading too much into this. And the world is, indeed, stressful enough: Best to take this one with a little comedy, if possible!

Thanks for offering up this other point of view. Besides, it's easy to just keep on using the site and playing solo games without worrying about any of this.

Although it would have been nice to have been labeled STR-11, because going to 11 is the best thing ever. It's 1 better than everything else! Ha ha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, up until the "loneliest" bit the rest of the description sounds good to me. Let's focus on the "large, active, and growing community" and "comradery" [sic].

Spoiler (click to reveal)
(should be camaraderie)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
(should be camaraderie)
I thought the same thing. Perhaps the authors aren't native English speakers? They certainly can't have had a good proof-reader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan N'Only
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, is there a difference between the Solitaire Games family and the STR-04 (Solo / Solitaire Game) mechanism? Are there games that should be tagged as one and not the other? If not, couldn't BGG just run a script to assign the new mechanism to all games in the Solitaire family?

If BGG is going to have both the Solitaire family and mechanism, why not a Cooperative Games family? Or Competitive for that matter? That way if someone is looking for a game that supports more than one mode of play, the search engine will support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sword S256
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's a new announcement posted.. I'm afraid that STR-04 and all abbreviations will be removed. It was fun while it last.. Long live STR-04 arrrh

And now I wonder.. why I'm excited with this technical details for abbreviations.. what a geek of me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  |