Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm bored, so let's get this going. For those of you worried about getting games played in time, Voting will end at the same time as last year.

First and foremost, the #1 rule by far is and I'll refer back to this often:
This is just for fun!

This isn't the gospel on what is the best games. That's very subjective and the vast list of games that I receive is a testament to that. 955 different games received a vote last yet. I think it's safe to say that Solo games are popular!

As you can tell from the title, we're just going to make it officially 200, but I'll still do some stats that refer to the top 100. People have often found new games to enjoy in that 101-200 range so I'm officially including it.

For those who are new to this, for the past five years we've run the 1-Player Guild's People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games List. It was a lot of fun both to run as well as see the results. So we're back again this year. We increased from 86 to 567 people voting during this time.

If you are interested in the results of last year's list, it is here: 2018 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games (100-1) And Bonus (101-200)

I believe the volume is still manageable so we'll ask for entries to be sent via Geekmail (to me). Put 2019 Top 200 Solo as the subject please. Also, if you send your list and want to revise it, just send me a new list but please point out that it's a revised list.

What we're looking for is a list of your top (up to) 20 games in order from #1 to #20. While perhaps there are better ways to do this, scoring is simple. Your #1 choice gets 20 points, #2 gets 19 ... If you have less than 20 games that's fine, but I'm going to cut it off at a minimum of 5.

Note that say you have 5 games, you have list them 1-5. You could weigh them yourself (e.g. #1-GameA, #5-GameB, #10-GameC... So GameA=20pts, GameB=16Pts, GameC=11pts.)

The first tie breaker this year will be average score, followed by Total # of votes for the game. The third if applicable will be how many #1 votes did it receive. If still tied, I'll break the tie and note it.

Please be specific in the game you're voting for. "Legendary" isn't specific enough. Often the person meant Marvel Legendary, but sometimes they meant Legendary Encounters.

Note: A lot of people want to help me and make it easier. This right here is the key. If I have to guess or geekmail you back because you weren't clear, that adds to the time it takes me to enter these. When the voting is closed and I'm entering the last few days votes, I just take a guess and move on. I'll apologize if your vote goes the wrong game. (See Rule #1)

We are looking for physical board games you play solo. So if you love a game where you play both sides, feel free to include it. If you play a Co-op game playing multiple characters, include it. We don't want computer games or implementations of a board game where you play because the device provides an opponent.
Some examples:
- Eclipse on an iPad where the device provides opposition doesn't count.
- Ghost Stories on an iPad would count because it's exactly the same as playing the physical game.
- Suburbia on a device doesn't count because it's not the same game, but if you play the suburbia solo mode with the physical game then count it.
- Physical games with apps like Mansions of Madness, XCom, Descent count.
- Print and Play games are definitely welcome.
- Do not vote for expansions. If you believe an expansion makes the game, you can mention that in the comments when the games are revealed.

We'll reveal the results slowly starting in November.

Deadline for submissions: Nov 4th, 2019 - My Birthday

I'll be on vacation the last few days of voting, so the more votes I get the last week the longer it will take me to get the results up. I'd love to start revealing by the end of that week or by November 11th at the latest.

Summary:
Send me (kerskine) a geekmail with the subject "2019 Top 200 Solo" with your votes from 1-20 (1 is your favorite). If for some reason you change your mind then send a new geekmail with a clear note that you want this to count instead of your original vote.

Put each game on a different line.
e.g.
1-Solitaire
2-
3-Arkham Horror (1987 Version)

Lastly, anyone can vote. You don't have to be a member of the 1-Player Guild. But if you aren't, we hope you'll consider joining. It's truly a fantastic group of people.

Note: If you're asking me a question in Geekmail, give it a subject different than Top 100 Solo so I look at it immediately otherwise I'll do them in batches.

Thank you everyone who participates, I know a lot of people really enjoy this and the final product turns into a great list to help people new to solo gaming.

Let's have fun!

===================================================================
Note: As far as combining games, if a game is pretty much just an expansion of the same game (e.g. The two core boxes of Shadows of Brimstone), I will combine them. If it's a completely different game then I'll leave them separate and you can vote for both. (e.g. Pandemic and Pandemic Legacy Season 1) I'll try to be fairly consistent, but if I mess up some, please refer to rule #1!
Last year: The following games got combined into a single vote. I'll do this again and probably some more will get combined.

- All Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detectives
- All Hoplomachus will get combined under Lost Cities this time
- All Shadows of Brimstone
- All Too Many Bones
- All Dungeons and Dragons games like Castle Ravenloft
- All Zombicide versions
- All Warfighter versions
- All Pathfinder games
- All new versions of a game.

I'll always keep Legacy versions separate.
===================================================================

Please join Morten for his fun contest: The 2019 People’s Choice Top 200 Solo Games No Prize Contest

Note2: Let's not go to game forums and try to dredge up more votes for a single game.

Note3: If you change your mind, just send me a new geekmail and indicate that it's a replacement.

NOTE: Remember people. Be specific with similarly named games. A few of you have voted for Warhammer Quest. I assume you really mean Warhammer Quest and not Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game. So if you really mean the latter then say that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Mage Knight on your #1 spot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skeletonhat wrote:
Congratulations Mage Knight on your #1 spot!

Dang that was fast. Who knows, this might be the year it gets dethroned. But if not. Long live the King!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin... get with the times, man! This is supposed to be the "People's Choice 2019 Top 200 STR-04" list. I mean, c'mon!

As always, thanks a ton for your hard work on this pet project of yours, which we all get to benefit from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin... get with the times, man! This is supposed to be the "People's Choice 2019 Top 200 STR-04" list. I mean, c'mon!

As always, thanks a ton for your hard work on this pet project of yours, which we all get to benefit from.

haha I'm old. I can't learn new tricks. And thank you. It's a labor of love!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whee! So excited, but I'm going to have to take some time to finish playing some games first.

(I do think note 2 should be in bold, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin: your summary is a year behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
briezee wrote:
Kevin: your summary is a year behind.

Thanks Brie. Fixed both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaud
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Shop at GameSurplus.com
badge
Shop at GameSurplus.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My list is going to change drastically this year. A few old favorites will make it, but there will be many new faces...er covers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "TIRED" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
Well isn't this just grand. It's like finding that 5 dollar bill in your jeans pocket. Why what is this????!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Roberts
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You had me at “I’m bored”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Already have my first submission!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "TIRED" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
And who takes the lead after the first submission?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeehaw!

Thank you Kevin for doing this! It's so much fun every year. Now to go tighten up my list...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maloma wrote:
And who takes the lead after the first submission?

Mage Knight is not leading after the first vote, so this could be the year. That's the last hint of the results you'll get from me until November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siân
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh thank you for doing this again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for doing this again, Kevin! I'll likely be playing games through the beginning of October before sending in my votes... Is it that time of year already?!

Can't wait to see the results! If you need help with anything, ask away. This is always such a fun and exciting countdown. Good luck, and thanks again for all your time and effort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that you are going to tease out the top 100 - again - this year but instead of revealing the top 100 ten games at a time starting from position 100 why not mix it up a little? I say tease out the listing positions starting at 101 and then doing it eleven games at a time. When you get near the end the number 3 game will be revealed and this will leave people guessing as to which game is number 2, which game number 1.

Should he do it this way? Let's break the traditional conformity of the top 100 solitaire game countdown. This should add some spice and a possible heightened anticipatory tension to the proceedings.

Could really get tongues wagging as to an upstart kicking Mage Knight from the top spot.

So... what do you say?

I think it's worthy of some thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albia wrote:
Thank you so much for doing this again, Kevin! I'll likely be playing games through the beginning of October before sending in my votes... Is it that time of year already?!
I'm hoping a few KS / PreOrders deliver in time so I can give them their due!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Albia wrote:
I'm hoping a few KS / PreOrders deliver in time so I can give them their due!

Me too. Although I suspect they won't make it in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, shoot; I haven't played anything solo yet this year. Better get on that or I'll be sending you mostly the same thing as last year (Dragonholt should probably move down a bit now that I've finished it, though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for doing this, Kevin! I only got into the hobby this year so this will be my first time participating, but the past years' lists definitely helped me fill out my game shelves. Looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, as always, for this Kevin. One of the absolute highlights of the guild's year.

I better get some games on the table then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s too soon. It’s always too soon! I just added three solo games and I’ve solo’d any of them yet! Unfair, as I expect Wingspan, Snowdonia: Deluxe Master Set, and Black Angel could all be on my list with more time available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. @kinson
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks for doing this, Kevin!

It looks I'll be submitting late this year, and I fully expect a lot of upheaval in my Top 20 this year. It's been an amazing solo year for me, and I'm still waiting for Marvel Champions pre-order to arrive. That's the main reason my submission will be late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] |