Subject: Best COIN for Solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Sawhead
Scotland
East Kilbride
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
What would be the best COIN game to get if im going to play it Solo. I know the AI Bots cant offer as good an experience as multiplayer but im looking for something in my collection that is above my usual Tactical level of games llike CoH , Combat Commander etc
Falling Sky, Pendragon , Liberty are the 3 themes i like most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
Garbled Text?
badge
Who am I?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would avoid Falling Sky as your first COIN game strictly for solo.

Of the three you listed, I think Liberty or Death is the best choice. LoD is the best balance between Non-players being good opponents and medium level of difficulty to follow flow charts. All three you listed are on the more complex end of the spectrum for solo play in the COIN system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Homa
United States
flag msg tools
Reimius wrote:
I would avoid Falling Sky as your first COIN game strictly for solo.

Of the three you listed, I think Liberty or Death is the best choice. LoD is the best balance between Non-players being good opponents and medium level of difficulty to follow flow charts. All three you listed are on the more complex end of the spectrum for solo play in the COIN system.

LoD was my first COIN game. I don't have enough plays under my belt to attest for the difficulty level of the Bots, but just know - if you can master the British Non-Player Muster Command...you can master anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Cuba Libre as a solo only option. The Non Player is easier to use and the limited geography speeds up the randomization process when needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would avoid Pendragon if you've never played a COIN before and are planning on exclusively (or mostly) playing solo. It's by far my favorite COIN game, but it's probably the most complex in the series and the bots are a real bear to figure out.

Falling Sky is one of the simplest COINs and I haven't found the bots to be particularly complicated. I don't have any experience with LoD though, so that one may be a better choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now to muddy the waters. devil

My first COIN was LoD and I simply could not grok the bots at all, and live players was tough. Then I got Pendragon and it all suddenly made sense; I was able to go back to LoD and figured it out.

IMHO the LoD bots are a bit opaque to figure out if you are not already familiar with COIN bots. The Pendragon flowcharts to me were more logically laid out and made more sense. Possibly part of that is two of the factions (Scotti & Saxon) work very similarly with nearly the same goals.

Falling Sky isn't bad, but as my 3rd COIN I already at least had a grounding in the bots by the time I got to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sawhead wrote:
What would be the best COIN game to get if im going to play it Solo. I know the AI Bots cant offer as good an experience as multiplayer but im looking for something in my collection that is above my usual Tactical level of games llike CoH , Combat Commander etc
Falling Sky, Pendragon , Liberty are the 3 themes i like most.
Once you figure one out, they're mostly easy to follow. Don't read into rules, most rules questions are simply people reading into rules. Do what they literally say. If you have a question, look at the glossary of terms and that would answer a lot of questions (for example in LoD - what is a colony vs province vs city). Liberty or Death and Falling Sky both have several solo videos on youTube if that helps. Liberty or Death has probably the prettiest board ever in a game, it's a work of art.

Solution: Buy all three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls