Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hello 1PG friends!

I've recently found myself drawn to exploration and story-driven games, preferably not entirely focused on combat. In my collection I have Near and Far (which I've mostly played in Arcade mode, so have yet to try the Campaign or Character modes), Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom (which I realize has a lot of combat, but I love the quirky theme so much that I don't mind), and, most recently, Magic Realm (I've only played two learning scenarios so far, but...holy moly, AWESOME!).

Since I'm loving all of these games in various ways, I stumbled upon the 7th Continent in my research/review-reading/what-else-would-scratch-this-exploration-itch thoughts. I was originally going to ask you all to talk me out of buying it, but after watching videos and reading reviews of the game, I think it's become a must-have for my shelf.

Since I missed both Kickstarter campaigns (dammit!), I've been looking at the aftermarket, and also see that Serious Poulp is issuing The 7th Continent: Classic Edition. This edition is different from the Collector/Kickstarter version in that it includes "1 less curse, 2 fewer characters, and does not have the 113 exclusive cards that are contained in the Collector Edition. Additionally, it is missing the component upgrades such as the plastic figures, discard holder and the magnifying glass."

My questions, therefore, are: Should I suck up the aftermarket cost of the Collector/Kickstarter version to get all of the premium content? Is it worth it? I understand the Classic version doesn't include the Goat, which seems to have a cult following. But would I miss it if I've never played it (and don't even know what it is) (although it looks like an image of it makes an appearance in the rulebook, if that hasn't changed between versions)? What about expansions? It seems most people agree that having more Curses are a good thing for replayability, but what about the other expansions? Not all expansions appear to be available in the Serious Poulp store (e.g., Swamp of Madness is missing), but maybe what they have on offer is enough?

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions! This is the first time I've posted to the general forum other than SGOYT, so hopefully I'm doing it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rastislav Bodi
Slovakia
flag msg tools
The 7 Stages of a Board Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not actually an answer to your question ... but if you are willing to wait (seems like until 2021), look at The 7th Citadel. That should be reimplementation of Continent and probably will have KS campaign too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control! We have assumed control! We have assumed control!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'll be the proverbial fly in the ointment and say I also love exploration games, and games that tell a story as you play, I love Near & Far (and Above & Below) and several other "exploration/story games" and I absolutely hated 7th Continent. It just did not work for me at all. Given what I do like, I backed it convinced it would be something that is directly in my wheelhouse. The hours and hours of play wiped out when you die (which you can of course ignore the rules and ignore), the card-management system, the escape room elements (if you didn't see this tiny detail on the card you might miss something that would have helped you survive down the road). I found it wholly un-enjoyable. I know it is much beloved but I also know I am not alone in my assessment.

Another problem I had with it is I learn games much better by watching them played vs. a rulebook. A rulebook for me is great when I have specific questions but when I need to learn a game, if I can't grok the rulebook (which happens more often than I care to admit) I turn to videos which help underscore the important concepts of the game. With this context I can then parse and understand what the rulebook is trying to convey. Adding additional fuel to flame of my learning style is I am predominantly a solo-gamer these days so I don't have people playing the game with me to point out that I am misinterpreting a rule. Given the spoilery nature of the game, the kind of videos that help me most (actual gameplay videos vs. rules explanations as I can see how mechanisms are working together) are very few and far between and often don't cover enough because the creator of the video doesn't want to give the story of the game away.

I'm not saying you will have this experience with the game at all, but I would caution you that you might.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Calw
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I don't think you'll actually miss out on that much if you'll get the Classic Edition. I don't know what the GOAT stands for either other than there being a typo with "Stretch Goats" in the first (?) KS.

Of course, if you can get the Kickstarter Edition, preferably an all-in pledge, for a reasonable price my suggestion is that you should get that. Although the KS price was about $400 IIRC for everything (I can't remember how much exactly I paid ) so it won't be cheap. Unfortunately you'll have to decide for yourself if the game is worth that much to you.

Otherwise just get the Classic Edition and enjoy the game. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd skip. The game is overhyped and the system is being put to better use in newer games.
If you must have something then the collector's edition is probably more interesting long-term. If you intend to play only one curse through (and that's already a lot of hours to sink and you probably realizing that the game really isn't that fun) then classic will suffice.

Zakoholic wrote:
I don't think you'll actually miss out on that much if you'll get the Classic Edition. I don't know what the GOAT stands for either other than there being a typo with "Stretch Goats" in the first (?) KS.

Yes. It was fun during the first KS. It was extremely annoying during the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siân
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
I also love exploration games, and games that tell a story as you play, I love Near & Far (and Above & Below)

Hi, this is probably a daft question, but how do these two games play solo?

Just had a quick look at bgg, so does near and far require the Amber mines expansion and/or a fan made autonoma?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say you'd be fine with the Classic Edition. The curses take many, many hours to resolve so having one fewer really isn't going to harm the play value of the game. Ditto for the characters as there are still plenty to choose from, and if you are going to play solo then you will only be using one character for a curse anyway.

The plastic figures are tiny and I prefer to use the standees. The bonus cards add a bit of variability to the game, but again there is so much content in the base game that you are unlikely to notice their absence. The magnifying glass is utterly pointless in my opinion. My aged eyes struggle with some of the small detail but I found that my standard reading glasses were much more suitable. Essentially, if you have good eyesight you won't need the magnifying glass, and if you don't then you'll already have something to help you read small print!

The only reason I can see to pay lots of money for the whole shooting match is if you are a rampant completionist (but, my goodness, it is a lot of money!), or you absolutely fall in love with the game and play it exhaustively for many months. I'm glad I have the game in my collection, but I honestly don't think it's a take-over-your-life slab of gaming wonderment! So Classic would be my recommendation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation: We have assumed control! We have assumed control! We have assumed control!
mbmbmbmbmb
shockaday wrote:
I don't play Above and Below solo (which doesn't mean I love it any less as a game) but I have with the Fan-Made Automa for Near & Far (which I actually did a graphic overhaul of to boot). Apparently the Amber Mines expansion is also supposed to make it soloable (and the Fan-Made Automa is also compatible with that expansion) but I have actually yet to crack my copy out of it's shrink. Just haven't gotten to it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Roesch
France
Bollwiller
Alsace
flag msg tools
designer
Scriptarium - Arpenteurs d'univers de livres-jeux
badge
Yes, I look like Cthulhu. But I smell better. And I write adventures.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

If you are able to do so, I recommand you to try a game (in a store, in an association, with a friend...). And preferably not the shorter curse (cristal song), but the first one (The Voracious Goddess). Because it IS a great exploration game, it works perfectly fine solo, but the survival aspect can please or discourage.

If this first try is just "good" for you, then you can buy the retail version. It is a complete game, it is also many many hours of play. If this experience is wonderful, as it was for me, you may try the aftermarket (do not overpay the game, there are disappointed people and there will be honest resale.) and for fans, this KS version is a must have. (but you will need time to explore all these things)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Paul Dodds in his assessment.

Having an 'all-in' pledge adds variety to a something that already has a ton of variety and the classic edition should be fine with many hours of entertainment.

The extra figures and magnifying glass are certainly not needed. It would be easy to raid other games or a miniature shop for alternative miniatures.

The two bonus Kickstarter characters Dr Frankenstein and H.P Lovecraft have some fun mechanics, but can break the theme a little (if that makes you feel any better).

The Swamps of Madness was a kickstarter exclusive expansion. If you were after that Serious Poulp 'might' be including it in the next kickstarter for 7th Citadel but I wouldn't count on it. If its any consolation, this has proved to be one of the curses I've had the hardest time trying to figure out (no spoilers anyone else please) and have yet to set foot in the expansion area.

Aside from the option of the classic edition, some people have been selling their replacement cards after the mass reprint of cards for 7th continent base game (the colouring was off in wave 1 last year, and so they were all reprinted for wave 2). These reprints included all the cards from 7th continent KS base game including the extra characters, curses etc minus character tokens/figures etc. Obviously owners have been replacing their cards and then have a whole set of slightly off colour cards (just the backs) gathering dust. While not compatible with expansions (Sleeves?), you can get this for significantly less than a base game and again has more than enough game inside for a fraction of the price. If you don't like version then you can easily sell that on I'm sure, if you love it... then you don't need any more advice here

Hope that helps

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Wow, this is why I love this guild! Thank you all so much for your input and for talking some sense into me.

I have tendencies towards completionism and jumping on the hype bandwagon, both of which I'd like to rein in, so thanks to your thoughtful responses I'm going to try to find somewhere to play the game first, or, at most, buy the Classic edition and give that a go before adding anything else to it. If I absolutely love it and It's The Best Game Ever, then I'll look into adding expansions or exploring the aftermarket.

Seriously, you guys are the best. Thank you for helping my wallet out with this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
shockaday wrote:
I don't play Above and Below solo (which doesn't mean I love it any less as a game) but I have with the Fan-Made Automa for Near & Far (which I actually did a graphic overhaul of to boot). Apparently the Amber Mines expansion is also supposed to make it soloable (and the Fan-Made Automa is also compatible with that expansion) but I have actually yet to crack my copy out of it's shrink. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

That's correct, the Amber Mines expansion comes with a co-op mode that you can solo, or you can modify the win conditions a bit to play just one character (some examples are in the forums, although I can't remember where).

At the moment I prefer the fan-made Automa because it easily let's you explore one character, which I prefer. You can find it in the files section, or there's a website that will play it for you, or you can buy a truly lovely version that a fan is selling at cost on Gamecrafter that includes player aids and cards and instructions that match the game. I haven't tried the Automa with Amber Mines yet, but I like to know I can in the future when I want to add that variety.

Sorry, a bit off topic from my original post, but I love Near and Far, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
I also love exploration games, and games that tell a story as you play, I love Near & Far (and Above & Below) and several other "exploration/story games"
Charles, what other exploration/story games do you like? I'm always looking for more ways to damage my wallet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertrat2020 wrote:
Charles, what other exploration/story games do you like? I'm always looking for more ways to damage my wallet!
Some are more one than the other but I would say these all would fall somewhere under that umbrella and is by no means a definitive list.

Agents of SMERSH (Think Tales of the Arabian Nights but with actual game mechanics)
Arkham Horror (Third Edition) Highly thematic and essentially story driven at this point which is why it's my favorite edition of the game)
Fallout (Most definitely exploration and story driven in much the same way Arkham Horror is)
Nemo's War (Absolutely on the story side even if this is considered a "War Game")
Royal Espionage (A Solitaire Social Deduction Game that will generate a story as you play the game. Free PnP to boot, although I did have a copy made at GameCrafter)
Space Empires: 4X (Exploration side and you can create your own story if you so choose hehe)
Star Trek: Frontiers (aka Mage Knight, and much better if you ask me)
Star Wars: Outer Rim (Exploration in the sense you will be searching for Characters on planets, and most certainly can tell a story of your rouge-ish-ness out on the fringes of the galaxy)
Xia: Legends of a Drift System (My #1 all time favorite game! Exploration? Check! Capable of generating story-esque moments you will talk about well after the game is over? Check! Wonderful Sandbox? CHECK!)

There's also the Choose Your Own Adventure Games but those are practically books so...

desertrat2020 wrote:
...or you can buy a truly lovely version that a fan is selling at cost on Gamecrafter that includes player aids and cards and instructions that match the game.
That fan is me and it is set up at cost here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
i feel like we're playing tug of war...
badge
...and i'm the rope.
mbmbmb
In contrast to some of the people above, I've played a fair amount of 7th Continent (3 curses to completion, one more to failure), and I like it a LOT. It's probably one of my favorite games. I believe the three that I've finished are the three in the classic edition, and I have 46 hours logged in the game (so far).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rapscallion_69 wrote:

desertrat2020 wrote:
...or you can buy a truly lovely version that a fan is selling at cost on Gamecrafter that includes player aids and cards and instructions that match the game.
That fan is me and it is set up at cost here.

Of course! Thank you, Charles! As I was hitting Submit I was thinking "I wonder if Charles is the one who provided the N&F Automa to GameCrafter?" I just got it a week or so ago and it's GORGEOUS! I can't wait to give it a go instead of using the digital version. Thanks so much for doing that!

And thanks for your game suggestions, too! Two of them have been on my list for a while, Start Trek and Xia. I'm glad you think so highly of them to mention them -- they might need to move up my list now. I'll look more seriously at the others, too -- I see many of them pop up on SGOYT, but haven't looked into them beyond that.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
In contrast to some of the people above, I've played a fair amount of 7th Continent (3 curses to completion, one more to failure), and I like it a LOT. It's probably one of my favorite games. I believe the three that I've finished are the three in the classic edition, and I have 46 hours logged in the game (so far).

Thanks for that input, Jacob! It's nice to hear from someone who's played it a lot and loves it. Of course you're not helping make my decision any easier...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Polok
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I love it a lot too. Setup time is 2 mins!. You can pause the game and continue later. Exploration like no other. Play the soundtrack from the app and get lost in this world.
Well... I love exploration and survival games so this one was a hit!
I have so many games that should've been played more.
That includes Gloomhaven which is collecting dust for nearly 9 months.
I've played 7th Continent tonnes because is so fun to play and so easy to set up highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The minis were too tiny. Not worth it for that.

2. You could use any magnifying glass.

3. There were plenty of addxon curses in the original campaign. My guess is those may be add-one to any next run of 7th Continent.

... I’d offer to show you the set, but I sold it without playing.
Ask at Isle, they’ve had it at least twice in their used section. And remember, the convention is only two weeks away. Plus, if you go Phoenix tomorrow, there’s a Table Top Traders event. They usually have 15-20 people selling games. Text me if you have questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marit Alanen
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks, Val! I'd love to give it a go at RinCon if it's available for play. I looked for it during the fundraiser a couple of weeks ago but didn't see it in the library. Maybe someone will bring a copy with them, and if I make it over to Isle of Games I'll take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Redheaded Pharmacist
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve really enjoyed this game. It’s a great exploration game. I’d also say there is so much content in the classic version it still provides a ton of gameplay value.

Best advice is to try and play it first. Then you’ll know if you enjoy it enough to justify buying the Kickstarter Edition with the extras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls