Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clemens P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

I am putting a group together to play my COIN games. I own Cuba Libre, Liberty or Death, Falling Sky, Gandhi and Fire in the lake.
The idea is to play each game 2-3 times then move on to the next game, playing once every 2-3 weeks.

I have played Cuba Libre and Liberty or Death. The rest of the group will probably be new to COIN games except one player who has played Cuba Libre once before.

In which order would you play the games so that learning the next in line is "easiest". Or maybe it doesn't really matter after learning the first one?

I was thinking about:
Cuba Libre -> Falling Sky -> Liberty or Death -> Gandhi -> Fire in the Lake.

My personal experience however is limited to Cuba Libre and Liberty or Death.
Maybe someone has some suggestions to ease the transitions between games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
Andean Abyss/Cuba Libre are the least chromey
Pendragon/FitL should be the most complex
But in all fairness, play it in order of interest of the setting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would Fire in the Lake in the rotation earlier -- to me, it is the grandest achievement of the COIN series, as it is the most perfect marriage between theme and the COIN mechanic. In hindsight, COIN seems like it was invented to do the 4-faction Vietnam war. The supposed complexity of FiTL is overblown -- it's not much more complex than Cuba Libre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars - AthensMicrobadge: Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 AD fanMicrobadge: For the People fanMicrobadge: I read the Babylon Bee!Microbadge: South Carolina
nukeu666 wrote:

But in all fairness, play it in order of interest of the setting
^This. Don't sweat the complexity. Use the tips here for teaching it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
Garbled Text?
badge
Who am I?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played all. If you wanted to go in order from easiest to play to hardest (with no non-players), I'd say:

Cuba Libre
Gandhi
Falling Sky
Liberty or Death
Fire in the lake

I'd like to mention that you probably won't understand the nuance of some of the factions in the games you haven't played after just 3 plays. This may especially be the case with Gandhi, Falling Sky, and FiTL. It may be better to play a single title until people feel like they actually understand what each faction's strategy is to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clemens P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess we will start with Cuba Libre and then decide together what to play next based on interest :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls