3 Posts

GMT COIN Series» Forums » General

Subject: I like Gandhi, next is fire in the lake or Pendragon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sceptic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought Gandhi recently due to a promotion discount and after few tries, I really enjoy it but largely playing solo. I am planning to buy my next coin series and I seem to connect to both FITL and Pendragon theme.

Seeking recommendations on which one you like and why.

What I like about Gandhi is the inclusion of non violent factions to complement the counter insurgent (Raj) and insurgents (revolutionaries). Both non violent play quite similarly but Congress style needs more micro management while Muslim has more direct strategy. I also like how one faction action can undermine or help another faction.

My impression of fitl that it's a classic coin that is similar to Gandhi but more rules. Pendragon is more of a game with multiple different sub rules. I am really 50:50 on both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
Garbled Text?
badge
Who am I?
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what you said, I'd go with FiTL. In Pendragon, the insurgents battle in a very similar way to the counter insurgents (there is no hidden/reveal mechanic like the Revolutionaries in Gandhi. FiTL is going to have the more traditional COIN style insurgent system which is similar to the Revolutionaries in Gandhi.

I don't think you'd regret getting either of the titles if you're up for a much more complex game and solo system. Do know that Gandhi's solo system (Arjuna) is quite different from other COIN titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sceptic
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reimius wrote:
Based on what you said, I'd go with FiTL. In Pendragon, the insurgents battle in a very similar way to the counter insurgents (there is no hidden/reveal mechanic like the Revolutionaries in Gandhi. FiTL is going to have the more traditional COIN style insurgent system which is similar to the Revolutionaries in Gandhi.

I don't think you'd regret getting either of the titles if you're up for a much more complex game and solo system. Do know that Gandhi's solo system (Arjuna) is quite different from other COIN titles.
Yes, I realised Arjuna deck is a new concept. I am thinking Pendragon if I want a different experience + more aggressive in attacking. That's my current leaning. On the other hand, FITL will be more appropriate if I want to jump into a harder coin series with more cubes and micro management. I think you may be right that I might get 2 in the long run, I am planning to wait a bit for FITL until fall of Saigon release which also utilise the Arjuna deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls