Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: flgs [+] philadelphia [+] pennsylvania [+] [View All]
Patrick Barringer
United States
Rushford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a good game store in the Philly Area? More than one? Where's the best?

Thanks,
-Pat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not in Philly, but The Compleat Strategist in King of Prussia is pretty good. I also like Showcase Comics in Bryn Mawr PA. They would be fairly easy to reach from Philly by train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other side of the river (Jersey), I'd recommend All Things Fun! in Berlin, NJ.

http://www.allthingsfun.net/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Keep in West Chester:

929 S High St
West Chester, PA 19382
484-905-5533

I'm leaving for there now, as a matter of fact....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gregory
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
a little further south is Days of Knights in Delaware, home of tax free shopping

http://www.daysofknights.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lampus
United States
Blue Bell
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Roundtable Games in Conshohoken. Smaller than The Compleat Strategist, but they got a selection of games.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Somerstein
United States
Willow Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely second the recommendation for Gameskeep. Best selection in the area and the owner actually knows a bit more about board games than at some of the other stores. Most of the stores carry a decent selection, but seem to cater more to RPG and CCG players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuven Fischer
United States
Bala Cynwyd
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2012 update:
Roundtable Games in Conshohoken is closed... (unless they updated their address) the shop at 515 Fayette St is now an apparel shop :-(

My favorite shops in Philly:

Showcase comic is Brynmar is a great shop - Good selection of games, on site help with miniature painting. (Great comic shop too!)

Compleat Strategist in King of Prussia - AWESOME selection of games

Games Keep in West Chester - Awesome selection of games. The owner is very knowledgeable and friendly.

Brave New World in Willow Grove & center city Philly. OK game selection, very good comic shop

7th Dimension in Jenkintown - Good selection, lots of tables, nightly open game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruven_reuven wrote:

Lived in that area for almost 7 years... never even knew it was there until after I left... Keep forgetting to go there when I visit. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruven_reuven wrote:

And the worst customer service on this side of the Alpha Quadrant. I've worked in the KoP area for 17-18 years and I've tried to go to that store many, many times over the years. I have never once, in 100+ trips there, felt like I was doing anything but bothering the people working there.

So, instead of a 5-mile trip to Compleat Strategist on my lunch-break I take a 35-mile round trip to the Games Keep in West Chester. It's like night and day, a completely different experience.

IMHO, YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yodapi wrote:
a little further south is Days of Knights in Delaware, home of tax free shopping

http://www.daysofknights.com/

A second recommendation whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for looking.
badge
I am an orange blob, guaranteed to offend no one and everyone. You must be orangified.
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who live to the north of Philly, there's always 7th Dimension Games (7thdimensiongames.com) in Jenkintown. I have not visited the new store, but did stop by a few times when it was on Easton Road in Glenside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Between Books has a great selection of old and new games. They are in Arden, DE, an easy trip from Philly.

Days of Knights in Newark, DE is also highly recommended.

I drive up from Baltimore for both stores, so you are probably closer to them than I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Springheeledjack wrote:
Between Books has a great selection of old and new games. They are in Arden, DE, an easy trip from Philly.

I drive up from Baltimore for both stores, so you are probably closer to them than I am.
Between Books - thanks for the tip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Springheeledjack wrote:

Between Books - thanks for the tip

Glad to help.

They have a large back stock, so sometimes you can find OOP games there.

I've also been to The Game Keep in West Chester. Seemed like a nice place, but I've only been there once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Casadonte wrote:
Gruven_reuven wrote:

And the worst customer service on this side of the Alpha Quadrant. I've worked in the KoP area for 17-18 years and I've tried to go to that store many, many times over the years. I have never once, in 100+ trips there, felt like I was doing anything but bothering the people working there.

So, instead of a 5-mile trip to Compleat Strategist on my lunch-break I take a 35-mile round trip to the Games Keep in West Chester. It's like night and day, a completely different experience.

IMHO, YMMV.

+1
Karl Kemmerer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Patticus wrote:
Is there a good game store in the Philly Area? More than one? Where's the best?

Thanks,
-Pat

Get out to Games Keep in West Chester, PA (as long as it's not Monday or Tuesday). Karl is the coolest FLGS owner in the area, keeps a great selection of games, and is very knowledgeable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Joe Casadonte wrote:
Gruven_reuven wrote:

IMHO, YMMV.

+1
Karl Kemmerer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I'm not as against the Strategist as some folks, as I like to do my browsing without interruption; being ignored at that time never bothered me. And I've always found the help there nice once I finally managed to tear them away from their gaming to take my money.

Now, that said, Karl at the Games Keep is awesome -- friendly, knowledgeable, and he has a top-rate selection. He puts the F in FLGS.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinwho wrote:

I'm not as against the Strategist as some folks, as I like to do my browsing without interruption; being ignored at that time never bothered me. And I've always found the help there nice once I finally managed to tear them away from their gaming to take my money.

Now, that said, Karl at the Games Keep is awesome -- friendly, knowledgeable, and he has a top-rate selection. He puts the F in FLGS.

Kevin
The Compleat Strategist is ok as long as you go there when nothing else is going on. I've walked in when they had games in progress and the irritation was evident. They are nice enough at other times but it's clear that they aren't good at running a retail store. They do sometimes have copies of stuff that is out of print - I guess that's a function of their customer service though. They're not a bad shop, but they're supremely outclassed in this area by a couple of the other stores that have been mentioned.

I'll add my voice to the Games Keep fanclub. It's an amazing store - Karl is first-class, a real gamer and a professional, courteous businessperson as well. The stock is fantastic, the prices are great, and anything that he doesn't have (which isn't much) he will order for you. He supports several gaming clubs in the area, offers great play space, and is a hell of a nice guy on top of everything. I live less than ten minutes from KoP but I always drive to West Chester to buy games from him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
7th Dimension Games is also nice. I've only been in once, but they had a good selection of recent titles.

491 York Rd, Jenkintown, PA 19046
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to Philly next week.

Q: are there any game stores easily reachable from a downtown hotel without a car rental??? Is everything in the 'burbs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:

Q: are there any game stores easily reachable from a downtown hotel without a car rental??? Is everything in the 'burbs?

I think only Redcap's Corner (asssuming it is still there), but I haven't really been in there myself.
http://www.redcapscorner.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian MacDonald
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't seem like Redcap's Corner is really walking distance from a downtown hotel. There always used to be a game store, or at least a comic shop that sold games, on South Street, but as far as my research can determine, there's no such store there at the moment. Still, South Street is a touristy thing to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
mcszarka wrote:

I think only Redcap's Corner (asssuming it is still there), but I haven't really been in there myself.

Website not that impressive, I have to say...

Would consider a short cab or public transit ride, if it was worth it. I'm primarily a wargamer, and so the sort of place that has dusty copies of old magazines, out of print games and so on is what I am looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
lfisher wrote:
mcszarka wrote:

Website not that impressive, I have to say...

Would consider a short cab or public transit ride, if it was worth it. I'm primarily a wargamer, and so the sort of place that has dusty copies of old magazines, out of print games and so on is what I am looking for.

Yes I would not expect it to be worthwhile for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |