Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Shawsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Level 04 BGG poster
Loved the original game, until the tower busted. Then, no more game.

What is the "Warranty" on the new electronic tower and its components? After that warranty has expired, how much will the tower components cost to replace?

Not trying to be a Debbie-downer, but when electronic components are involved I think this is a fair question.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: This dude is a stud... and a Doomtown: Reloaded fanMicrobadge: Earth Reborn fan
It costs a friend with a 3d printer and a trip to Thingaverse. ;)

Also you're not being a Debbie Downer, it's a fair question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Stop Thief! fanMicrobadge: Return to Dark TowerMicrobadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG poster
Not only is it a fair question, but it's something we've put the most time and effort into carefully crafting. We're finalizing this as we speak, and the information will be in the campaign. As a general matter, we stand behind all of our games and do not charge for replacement parts. That said, the Tower is a special part. So we'll have a brief unlimited warranty for defects, then a much longer limited warranty for Towers that don't meet their life expectancy with a free replacement plus shipping, and we'll also have individual replacement towers available to purchase at cost if you inadvertantly throw it in your fireplace or something, which will be at cost + shipping.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Microbadge: My Games PlayedMicrobadge: I'm a walking billboard. (Now leasing.)Microbadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Herculean Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Suffers from Psychomagnesis - I attract crazy women
JustinDJacobson wrote:
Not only is it a fair question, but it's something we've put the most time and effort into carefully crafting. We're finalizing this as we speak, and the information will be in the campaign. As a general matter, we stand behind all of our games and do not charge for replacement parts. That said, the Tower is a special part. So we'll have a brief unlimited warranty for defects, then a much longer limited warranty for Towers that don't meet their life expectancy with a free replacement plus shipping, and we'll also have individual replacement towers available to purchase at cost if you inadvertantly throw it in your fireplace or something, which will be at cost + shipping.
If you really stand by it and want people to be able to use it forever you should include files to 3d print a replacement with coding for the Do-it-yourself-ers after the original one dies.

Not that I ultimately care.. the terrible decision to make this co-op only saved me a bunch of money here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nordell

North Carolina
msg tools
Microbadge: Bombay cat lover Microbadge: Level 03 BGG posterMicrobadge: Red Dwarf fanMicrobadge: Middara fanMicrobadge: Shut up and take my money!
Also of interest is continued app support. In 5 to 10 years the mobile landscape will likely be different, with new version of Android and iOS or perhaps even entirely new platforms which may not support the app unless the developer has continued to update it. A bluetooth tower with nothing to connect to would make the game just as unplayable as the tower itself being broken. Here's hoping for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Jarvis
United States
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: StarCraft: The Board Game fanMicrobadge: mmmm... SandwichesMicrobadge: I am the curseMicrobadge: Court of the Dead: Mourners Call - Faction of FleshMicrobadge: Return to Dark Tower
PoshFrosh wrote:
Also of interest is continued app support. In 5 to 10 years the mobile landscape will likely be different, with new version of Android and iOS or perhaps even entirely new platforms which Ithaqua not support the app unless the developer has continued to update it. A bluetooth tower with nothing to connect to would make the game just as unplayable as the tower itself being broken. Here's hoping for the best.
This has been discussed many times previously. They stated that they plan to support the app for the foreseeable future. On top of that they said they if they can no longer provide support for it they will release the source code for it so that the fans can run with it.

Honestly its the best possible solution for an app based game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley L.
msg tools
Hope ... may not be warranted at this point.
Microbadge: Defeats Children Without MercyMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Return to Dark TowerMicrobadge: Razor Sharp - BGG Women's Forum participantMicrobadge: Atheist
Whew! With the number of games I've inadvertently thrown in the fireplace, it's nice to finally see a designer taking that into account! It's just so easy to do. You get a bad roll, the fireplace is like, right there... and all of a sudden everyone's yelling about, "Where are the tongs?" and "Why would you do that?" and blah blah blah.

Now that we Fire Tossers know you're thinking about us, though, I sure hope the tower is structurally sound enough to contain it when the batteries explode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Microbadge: Fedora Linux userMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: The Gaming Gang fanMicrobadge: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start!
Lord Of Raisins wrote:
PoshFrosh wrote:
Also of interest is continued app support. In 5 to 10 years the mobile landscape will likely be different, with new version of Android and iOS or perhaps even entirely new platforms which Ithaqua not support the app unless the developer has continued to update it. A bluetooth tower with nothing to connect to would make the game just as unplayable as the tower itself being broken. Here's hoping for the best.
This has been discussed many times previously. They stated that they plan to support the app for the foreseeable future. On top of that they said they if they can no longer provide support for it they will release the source code for it so that the fans can run with it.

Honestly its the best possible solution for an app based game.
The best possible solution would be to make it open source up front. Or better yet, not require an app when there's already an electronic component
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Titan fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Fan of the old BGG layout!Microbadge: Dual of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game Fan
monteslu wrote:
The best possible solution would be to make it open source up front. Or better yet, not require an app when there's already an electronic component
They could make it a physical computer built out of rods and gears, like Babbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
Microbadge: TapestryMicrobadge: Dinosaur Island fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: Game Explainer
corkysru wrote:

Not that I ultimately care.. the terrible decision to make this co-op only saved me a bunch of money here.
Sorry that the co-op format doesn't work for you. The decision and rationale to make it co-op has been discussed to death on another thread. But suffice it to say, it makes no sense to compete with your fellow heroes when an overwhelmingly powerful, common enemy is threatening to control/destroy everyone and everything. Did we not learn anything from LOTR? sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Viticulture fanMicrobadge: Restoration Games fanMicrobadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island fan
For the sake of argument, let's say the tower stops working and Restoration Games shuts down, etc., etc., such that now you've got a broken tower and an app that is needing inputs from it and no way to fix it.

I'm assuming that the app could be updated, or possibly have a mode where you run the game without having the tower physically present at all. Since a lot of the app is random, and it also keeps track of how many skulls have been dropped, which glyphs are exposed and where, etc., I would think that you could skip the tower and just tap a button to say your turn is done and the app decides if the imaginary skull would have dropped down a particular path and fell on the table. It would also then let the next player know if there are any open glyphs facing them, or if the tower is rotating and if new skulls fall out into particular kingdoms, etc.

Now, you would lose most of the whole experience of the game, but it would still be fully workable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Monroe
Georgia
flag msg tools
Original Gamester
badge
The Cod
Microbadge: Space Race the Card Game fanMicrobadge: Bloodborne Game fanMicrobadge: Copper Microbadge DesignerMicrobadge: Evil Dead 2 The Board Game fanMicrobadge: Space Race Board Game fan
I wonder how many working copies of the original 1981 game are still alive and kicking today...

And I wonder how many original copies of this game will be alive and kicking in 2059...

I fully agree, the tower AND an app kinda scare me in terms of long term play-ability...but really, not much lasts forever.

I/you/we just have to decide how much entertainment and nostalgia value you're going to get for your money with this product. I'm still on the fence myself. YMMV...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Stop Thief! fanMicrobadge: Return to Dark TowerMicrobadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG poster
farsidehobbes wrote:
For the sake of argument, let's say the tower stops working and Restoration Games shuts down, etc., etc., such that now you've got a broken tower and an app that is needing inputs from it and no way to fix it.

I'm assuming that the app could be updated, or possibly have a mode where you run the game without having the tower physically present at all. Since a lot of the app is random, and it also keeps track of how many skulls have been dropped, which glyphs are exposed and where, etc., I would think that you could skip the tower and just tap a button to say your turn is done and the app decides if the imaginary skull would have dropped down a particular path and fell on the table. It would also then let the next player know if there are any open glyphs facing them, or if the tower is rotating and if new skulls fall out into particular kingdoms, etc.

Now, you would lose most of the whole experience of the game, but it would still be fully workable.
Right. Fact is, you can play the original Dark Tower right now on your phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JustinDJacobson wrote:
May I respectfully ask: what is the approximate life expectancy of the tower? Also, will the tower require lubrication or maintenance? Finally, are owner-repairs possible if say, the small motor goes out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
SSquire1 wrote:
JustinDJacobson wrote:
May I respectfully ask: what is the approximate life expectancy of the tower? Also, will the tower require lubrication or maintenance? Finally, are owner-repairs possible if say, the small motor goes out?
I could say a number, but to be perfectly honest, we just don't know because they're not "in the field". There's no reason to think it would be any less than the tower from the original game. As long as it's treated with care, there's no reason it shouldn't last a good long while. It does not require maintenance, and it is possible to repair. The outer shell can be removed by undoing a few screws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Must be a boatload of BGGers that don't own vehicles - nor ever will. Vehicles are way more expensive than a game, have thousands of moving parts, and they do break down. So according to the concerns of this thread, seems like anything that costs more than $1 and has the chance to break down, is a deal breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Killercod wrote:
I wonder how many working copies of the original 1981 game are still alive and kicking today...

And I wonder how many original copies of this game will be alive and kicking in 2059...

I fully agree, the tower AND an app kinda scare me in terms of long term play-ability...but really, not much lasts forever.

I/you/we just have to decide how much entertainment and nostalgia value you're going to get for your money with this product. I'm still on the fence myself. YMMV...
At least two... sitting in my game room.

Now, let's haggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Titan fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Fan of the old BGG layout!Microbadge: Dual of Ages II fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game Fan
darthhugo wrote:
Must be a boatload of BGGers that don't own vehicles - nor ever will. Vehicles are way more expensive than a game, have thousands of moving parts, and they do break down.
Automobiles are also produced by large corporations that generally stay in business indefinitely and have networks of service centers all over the country and the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaviddesJ wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Must be a boatload of BGGers that don't own vehicles - nor ever will. Vehicles are way more expensive than a game, have thousands of moving parts, and they do break down.
Automobiles are also produced by large corporations that generally stay in business indefinitely and have networks of service centers all over the country and the world.
So, one should only stick to products produced by large corporations?

Also, please let me know where I can get state of the art service for my AMC Javelin.

All ears.

Also, I wish that there was such wisdom back in 1981, so we all would have been spared from purchasing the original Dark Tower game with a limited, life-span tower. Sure would have appreciated not experiencing the fun of that game by such sage advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
darthhugo wrote:
If you're especially concerned about indefinite service support, then yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaviddesJ wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
If you're especially concerned about indefinite service support, then yes.
Hey, Kodak.

Hey, GE.

All dead shells of what they once were.

Indefinite support does not exist, and you know that.

All footnotes with enough time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
darthhugo wrote:
Hey, Kodak.

Hey, GE.

You're trying to use this as evidence that buying products from small startups is a better indication of long-term service support than if you buy from a large corporation? Seriously??? WTF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaviddesJ wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Hey, Kodak.

Hey, GE.

You're trying to use this as evidence that buying products from small startups is a better indication of long-term service support than if you buy from a large corporation? Seriously??? WTF.
You are the one peddling the fallacy of Infinite support, not me.

My Voice of the Mummy game no longer speakies... can you call Milton Bradley for me and arrange a fix?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
darthhugo wrote:
You are the one peddling the fallacy of Infinite support, not me.
WTF? I didn't offer any guarantees. I said that if long-term support is particularly important to you then you have a better chance with a large corporation that has been in business for decades and has a history of supporting its products. If you want to argue with that then WTF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JustinDJacobson wrote:
SSquire1 wrote:
JustinDJacobson wrote:
I could say a number, but to be perfectly honest, we just don't know because they're not "in the field". There's no reason to think it would be any less than the tower from the original game. As long as it's treated with care, there's no reason it shouldn't last a good long while. It does not require maintenance, and it is possible to repair. The outer shell can be removed by undoing a few screws.
Thank you for your quick answer. I work on vintage pinball machines so I'm pleased to hear that home repairs are possible. Game looks fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |