Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: New York city stores? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Lago
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be taking a trip to New York city soon and was wondering if there were any good game stores there? I've tried doing a web search, but with no luck.

Thx,

DuLac
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Miller
United States
West Orange
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Yes, there's the Compleat Strategist, check them out at www.thecompleatstrategist.com. (Yeah, not "complete" but "compleat") They have alot of good stuff crammed into their tiny store. Also, there's a place called Neutral Ground, but it's mostly a big room to hold CCG tournaments. There may even still be a few GW stores left, if that's your bag. Enjoy your visit to the Big A.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't buy anything at NYC stores.

MSRP is considered the low starting point for pricing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☃ daniel ☃
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find info on game stores in NYC at the
BGG NYC Guild page.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
donated all my sanity to Cthulhu
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Don't buy anything at NYC stores.

MSRP is considered the low starting point for pricing.


Having worked at one (the one mentioned above) I would have to say he is right. Go online to someplace like thoughthammer. It will be cheaper.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lago
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Don't buy anything at NYC stores.

MSRP is considered the low starting point for pricing.


Having worked at one (the one mentioned above) I would have to say he is right. Go online to someplace like thoughthammer. It will be cheaper.


Well even US MSRP is cheaper than the prices up here in Canada, and what with the Canadian dollar being so strong and the fact that the cross-border tariffs if I went with a US online retailer I'll still likely come out ahead.

Thanks for the advice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Sucks for The Compleat Strategist to have to pay NYC rent... resulting in them closing their other 2 Manhattan stores (8? years ago). Thank god they existed in Manhattan since about... 1979? Way back they used to supply their own translations for some non-English games. Danny knows his stuff. Full retail, but this is the only place left from the heyday of Manhattan gaming.

Geosphere wrote:
MSRP is considered the low starting point for pricing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lipkin
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
Sucks for The Compleat Strategist to have to pay NYC rent... resulting in them closing their other 2 Manhattan stores (8? years ago). Thank god they existed in Manhattan since about... 1979? Way back they used to supply their own translations for some non-English games. Danny knows his stuff. Full retail, but this is the only place left from the heyday of Manhattan gaming.


Wow, that's sad. I grew up in NYC, and only barely discovered the Rockefeller Center branch of TCS before heading off to college. At the time, I could only appreciate it for the RPG aspect of things (my boardgame addiction didn't kick in until after college), but I remember the store fondly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Hwang
United States
Elmsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i've never been there or participated, but the Manhattan Boardgame Meetup group is meeting on November 15th at Neutral Grounds.

Neutral Grounds
15 West 37th Street Ground Floor (between 5th & 6th ave)
New York, NY 10001
212-633-1288

http://www.neutralground.com/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently at the Compleat Strategist in NYC. It's not far from the Empire State Building. Their pricing seemed the same as any brick & mortar game store to me... I will say this - their inventory was IMPRESSIVE.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
donated all my sanity to Cthulhu
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
I was recently at the Compleat Strategist in NYC. It's not far from the Empire State Building. Their pricing seemed the same as any brick & mortar game store to me... I will say this - their inventory was IMPRESSIVE.


That's because they use every square inch for display and storage. And the basement of the place is huge. It looks like a slightly scaled-down version of the warehouse at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Hundreds upon hundreds of games. Some of them the really old classics.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☃ daniel ☃
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can customers access the basement? I've been to the store many times, but wasn't aware that there was a basement.

Or is this as fruitless a quest as Pee Wee Herman's search for the basement of the Alamo?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
donated all my sanity to Cthulhu
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skwm wrote:
Can customers access the basement? I've been to the store many times, but wasn't aware that there was a basement.

Or is this as fruitless a quest as Pee Wee Herman's search for the basement of the Alamo?


Nope. Employees only. (Unless you are one of Danny's really good friends.) Besides, there's enough r@ts down there to start a game of Notre Dame.

As to where it it. You know the door between the AH board games and some of the others on the right hand side of the store (right hand being defined as facing the back from the door). Past that opening is the office, the bathroom, and the area where stuff gets packed for shipping. There is also a set of stairs leading down to the vault.

Also, in the office there are a lot of classic games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls