Subject: 2 player confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wasp Factoryman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have just purchased Puerto Rico so apologies if this is a daft question. I have the game prepped for two player as I will be playing my wife this weekend. Comparing the printed rules from the box and the Alea 2 player varient from BGG I found myself scratching my head somewhat puzzled.

In the 4 player rules the Govenor chooses a Role and takes its action. The other players in turn then take that same action allowed by that chosen Role card. Once done, the next player chooses a Role takes it's action and the other players likewise take the same action...and so on. Easy.

The 2 player varient though says "The Govenor begins and selects a role. Subsequently, the players alternate selecting roles until both players have selected 3 roles."

Puzzlement. Does this mean Player A takes a Role card performs the privilege and allowed action only. Player B then (rather than performing the allowed action from Player A's card)chooses a Role card and likewise actions it without the action going back over to player A. And so on until only one Role card is left.

Put simply, does the allowed action pass over to the other player or is it only for the player who chose the Role.

Falling at the first fence..tut, tut!

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, the allowed action passes over to the other player as well. BTW, this game was a great hit with my wife and she liked it even better (more control) with 2 players than with 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Eddie's right. Both players will take the selected action. Only the player who picked the role will get the privilege. There are 7 roles available with 2 players, so 6 will get picked, and on the last, a coin will be placed before the Governor card is passed to the other player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that because there are six role selections per round, the last person to select a role in a round becomes the Governor in the next round, and gets to select the first role for that round. Thus, each round, someone gets to select two roles in a row. This advantage passes back and forth between the two players.

Some people, including me, don't like this. In my opinion, the ability to choose two roles in a row is too powerful, introduces too much chaos, and is against the spirit of the original game design. (For example, Craftsman fear, one of the things this game is famous for, is eliminated.) So we play with a slight modification to this variant: Remove both prospectors so that there are only six roles to choose from, and there are only five role selections per round.

With this modification, the Governor gets to select three roles per round, while the other player gets to select two. No one ever gets to select two roles in a row.

I've played it many times both ways, and I strongly prefer the modified variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been bothered by the two selections in a row, but I may try your variant the next time I play 2-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spire wrote:

With this modification, the Governor gets to select three roles per round, while the other player gets to select two. No one ever gets to select two roles in a row.

I played this modification for the first time recently (also our first 2 player attempt) and it worked really well. The game was well balanced and didn't subtract from the depth of options available. Despite only having 2 choices (instead of 3) every 2nd round there is always enough to choose from and the strategy is constantly evolving based on what is available.

Will definitely play this variation again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.