Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Denton
United States
La Porte
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the subject matter and the board and nearly everything about this game. However, you knew that was coming, my initial high satisfaction has diminished.

More times lately I feel the cards are playing me instead of me playing the cards. A bit too much luck as to when cards show up and how many dreadful cards show up in whose hand on a turn makes the game lean toward too much luck. Combine that with the expert knowledge needed of bad cards remaining to come out and how to limit their damage can make for an unpleasant experience in some early games.

Then 1960: The Making of the President came out which, while a simpler game, was more enjoyable to me. In it the players can choose to make events play out or not through momentum chips they get each turn.

At least for now I have added a Diplomatic Initiative variant to Twilight Struggle see if I will enjoy Twilight Struggle more.
~ ~ ~

Diplomatic Initiative

Each turn before the Headline phase each player receives a diplomatic influence chip.
This chip can be used when an event is played in an action round after the headline phase by either player to block the event.
Cards played as operations are played out but then the card is moved to the discard (delay) pile.
The diplomatic influence can also be played to block an opposing diplomatic influence chip.
No more than two diplomatic influence chips can be held by a player.
Using diplomatic influence blocks the effects of the event only, not the operations influence obtained from players playing their own cards as non-events or opposing cards.
Only one diplomatic influence can be used by a player on an event. (No playing two to remove an opponents block.)

I am using the standard 1 influence pieces as the chips but they are kept on the board next to the Military Ops markers until used.

~ ~ ~

A bit of strategy is involved in using the diplomatic influence. Do you use one early in the turn to block an event the opposing player has played? Do you save it to block an event in your hand? Knowing that an event card can be blocked in action rounds do you play it as a headline? Do you save the diplomatic influence to unblock an event? Do you try to keep an extra diplomatic influence for the later rounds? On an early turn do you not block an event knowing it will come out again?

Diplomatic initiative could also be used to balance the game for new players by giving the United States one extra the first turn or two but keeping the two diplomatic influence limit. This may improve the game for those playing the United States versus more expert players. Historically the United States did come out of the war with more diplomatic influence anyway which I feel is not reflected in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Play a couple of games and get back to us.meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is indeed interesting. Not a bad idea at all cause I'm anticipating I'll maybe feel the same as you one day, when I'm past this getiing-to-know-loving-phase I'm in right now. Do let us know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This makes the UN Intervention card much less powerful - would you make it similar to CIA Created etc, i.e. it gives the player 2 bonus Ops points as well as cancelling the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.