Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
62 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: 2007 Golden Geek Award Winners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: awards [+] Games [+] Combat [+] Best [+] goldengeek [+] 2007 [+] Commander [+] [View All]
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
And the winners are......

Game of the Year
------------
Winner - Shogun
First Runner Up - Imperial
Second Runner Up - Thebes

Gamer's Game
------------
Shogun

2 Player (tie)
------------
BattleLore
Commands & Colors: Ancients

Card Game
---------
Caylus Magna Carta

Family Game
------------
Zooloretto

Children's Game
------------
Zooloretto

Party Game
------------
Wits & Wagers

Wargame
------------
Combat Commander: Europe

Artwork/Presentation
------------
BattleLore

Congratulations to the designers and publishers of this year's winning games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Dominic on the W&W victory!

This would be a great Christmas gift for anyone looking for an idea for their family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations from me too, Dom. We're flying to Ireland for a wedding next summer, and we'll be sure to pick up a copy of Wits & Wagers before we go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hilgert
Germany
Unspecified
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!!! The Borg twins win the 2 Player Award . Congratulations to Rich and Richard Borg.

Scott , will there be a more detailed statistics ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Zielinski
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to Dom & Satish on the nod for Wits and Wagers! If it were not for Wits and Wagers the Anti-Vasel League would never had risen at Origins 2007!

I am very happy to see that Zooloretto gathered two victories. It is a really good game and I enjoy playing it with my kids as well as other gamers.

I was sorry to see that Battlelore did not win game of the year, but two wins is not too bad. Congrats to the DoW team! Battlore is a lot of fun and was very, very well done and deserved the recognition.

Thanks for running the Golden Geeks Aldie! It was fun being able to participate in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about the two player tie - was there literally exactly the same number of votes or was there some 'rationalizing' of the results?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that Game of the Year equates to Gamer's Game of the year (both the GoY winner and runner up were from that category).

Also interesting that the third billed GoY was Thebes, from the "Family game" category, which it didn't evey win!

My main suggestion: clean up the children's game category. I don't see the SdJ winner being the SdJ, GG Family, and GG Children's games of the year. I don't think the designer was hoping to produce the best kiddie game on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Cleitus the Black wrote:
I'm curious about the two player tie - was there literally exactly the same number of votes or was there some 'rationalizing' of the results?

And isn't the tiebreaker Most Cash? Days of Wonder must have an advantage there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Both BL and C&CA were ranked higher than every other game in the lists with the exception of each other. Of people who ranked both there were exactly as many people that put BL above C&C as there were people who put C&C above BL.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
My main suggestion: clean up the children's game category. I don't see the SdJ winner being the SdJ, GG Family, and GG Children's games of the year. I don't think the designer was hoping to produce the best kiddie game on the market.

As explained elsewhere, Geeks took it to mean "Game I Most Like To Play With Children", and that's what I'm interested in.
I haven't seen this "elsewhere" official announcement. Anyway, if that's just "what geeks took it to mean," I'd love to hear official word from Scott and I'd prefer that official word be "Best Children's Game," not Best Otherwise Non-Kid Game that you can play with kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
These resulut make want to cry... hopefully next year we get a better crop of games. Anyway well done to CC:E and Wits and Wagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun!!!! I'm so excited!!!

amazing. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:
I haven't seen this "elsewhere" official announcement. Anyway, if that's just "what geeks took it to mean," I'd love to hear official word from Scott and I'd prefer that official word be "Best Children's Game," not Best Otherwise Non-Kid Game that you can play with kids.

Why is it so important to you? Can Aldie really solidify the definition after the award is given out?
I wouldn't want him to modify anything after the fact. I'm looking ahead to 2008.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Zielinski
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I don't think they care as long as they are selling lots of games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Williams
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very happy with these picks overall DD
An extra kudos to W&W which has quickly replaced all other trivia/party games with my game group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
Mode: Nippon
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excelent. My two favorite games of the year, although changing positions, were Shogun and Imperial. If we're talking about something really new, Imperial is the best as you may agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I get thumbs-up for my cool GeekBadge now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I think I had more in common this year with the SdJ Jury (and I hated Zooloretto).....

The only 2 I agree with are Wits & Wagers and CC:E. It seems that I'm outside of the mainstream of the fringe. But I guess I'm used to that....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Goldenbogen
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...that deserves a thumbs up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SubtlyArtistic wrote:
Shogun!!!! I'm so excited!!!

amazing. meeple

Yep. Excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Spring is upon us and baseball is back! Lets go Mets!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I did not match up well with the voters this year. I picked Shogun last among the nominated gamer's games (I have some real issues with it). Zooloretto was next to last in my family game picks (it's not a bad game, but I like the other ones much better). I didn't even vote for it as one of my children's games (as I don't consider it close to being a kid's game; guess I didn't get the memo redefining this category). I haven't played BattleLore, C&C:A, or Wits & Wagers, so couldn't vote for them, although none of them sound like games I tend to like. Really, the only result that fit my voting was Caylus Magna Carta (I picked it first), but what the hell else was ever going to win best card game? I also picked BattleLore for best artwork, but I don't even own the game--it just looked good the one time I saw it set up. So precious little agreement with the rest of the site. Oh well, there's always next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... weird. I guess I'm Mr. Average Gamer, as everything I voted high for was at the top.

Oddly enough, I wish other titles had won, as I've already seen all of this stuff and want something new and shiny to surprise me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Both BL and C&CA were ranked higher than every other game in the lists with the exception of each other. Of people who ranked both there were exactly as many people that put BL above C&C as there were people who put C&C above BL.

-MMM

I know I ranked both BL and C&C:A highly ... I believe my #1 and #2 or if not they were #2 and #3. My guess is that people who like the game system probably have played both games and like both pretty much equally as I do. Yes, they are similar but each one has pluses and minuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't get the Children's Game category. IMHO it shouldn't be "games that can be played with children" but rather "games designed FOR children." Big difference and the Golden Geeks missed the mark entirely.

Edit: I think the category should be more like the SdJ's children category: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Kinderspiel_des_Jahre...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
Randy Cox wrote:

As explained elsewhere, Geeks took it to mean "Game I Most Like To Play With Children", and that's what I'm interested in.

Strangely, I took it to mean Best Children's Game.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.