Popular Tags: [View All]
Ann De Haes
Netherlands
Doorwerth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I will be going to New York for my work soon, and I hope I can visit a game shop. I will be staying very close to Broadway (2 blocks from the theatre I was told - the Milford Plaza Hotel), so that gives an indication of my whereabouts. Can some of you please recommend a shop?

Thank you
Ann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fried
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want the Compleat Strategist on 33rd Street between 5th Avenue and Madison -- and then go to Kang Suh on 32st Street and 6th Avenue for Korean Food!

Also, down the block from the Compleat Strategist is Jim Hanley's Universe, which is a great comic book store.

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann De Haes
Netherlands
Doorwerth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Take some care -- Neutral Ground has just moved, and much closer to you than its prior location (nicer too). It is now just a couple of blocks from Compleat Strategist. Inhale deeply prior the checking out though -- full list price plus NYC sales tax.

http://www.neutralground.com/about.php

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann De Haes
Netherlands
Doorwerth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NYC sales tax? What is that? Do I have to pay that everywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Sales Tax is assessed by each state, and perhaps each city. In Manhattan I believe you will pay an additional 8% of your purchase price. Given the state of the US dollar the games may still appear inexpensive in spite of that.

Note that orders placed across states -- a web site that is based in Pennsylvania and the delivery address is in New York, are generally exempt from income tax due to a loophole in the law. In theory you are supposed to pay it, but none of us do. If you're looking to bring a boatload of games back to the Netherlands with you, you might consider having gamesurplus.com or some other website deliver to your hotel, which will avoid the sales tax. Option two is to wait an extra day, as the dollar is devaluing fast enough to make up the difference.

It is still very much worth visiting both shops -- each has its own atmosphere. Just don't wear a Red Sox cap.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls