Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
"The raised fist logo may represent unity or solidarity, generally with oppressed peoples."
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...
I don't know where you live, but if you are in the US, your best bet may be to buy the game locally or have it shipped to you, then ship it to Brazil yourself. I've shipped games to Brazil on several occasions--while retailers may charge an arm and a leg to ship, if you take it to the post office yourself, it will be far less than $75.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Everett
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
Microbadge: RadioactiveMicrobadge: Rubber DuckyMicrobadge: LEGO fanMicrobadge: Necromunda fanMicrobadge: Glory to Rome fan
I've shipped stuff to Brasil before and while spendy, shouldn't be that much. Try getting something that fits in a USPS Flat Rate box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It'll be cheaper to send it yourself from your home country. If you bought it through a store in Brazil, it is very likely that the shipping is included in the price. You would end up paying $75 for Catan and then local shipping on top of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Target in Europe whose country doesn't seem to be easily served by any of the participating stores. The matter is complicated by my target having games on their wishlist that seem to have limited availabilty in Europe.

I'm going to have to ship the game from the US, directly to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
Microbadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: TurtleCON Attendee
In the future as this Secret Santa thing continues to grow and grow, I think it might be best to split the senders/targets up by country. I'd really rather be able to give my target a much nicer gift rather than spending half the money on shipping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only speak for Boards & Bits, but here's what I can offer.

Normally we charge shipping based on the actual weight of the games + 2 lbs for box and materials. This can be a little steep for a smaller order.

If you want to place an out-of-country order with me, I'll charge shipping based on the actual weight of the package, including box and materials.

Just select PAY LATER and put the BGG Name of the recipient in the comments and I'll work it out.

I'm already offering free gift-wrapping for Secret Santa orders

Tom
Boards & Bits
www.boardsandbits.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, btw, thanks for being so cool on this promotion. I hope your involvement generates you lots of sales. It's wonderful to see someone so involved with our community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
In the future as this Secret Santa thing continues to grow and grow, I think it might be best to split the senders/targets up by country. I'd really rather be able to give my target a much nicer gift rather than spending half the money on shipping!
Yep, mine's in Australia and I'd be able to give a better gift if I spent the money in the US. Oh well.
Maybe there should be a neutral party who'd broker swapping recipients. I'd bet some poor guy in Australia (besides my guy) has a recipient in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I know that the international shipping can be painful - but that was stated VERY clearly up front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Sheffield
United States
Aberdeen
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Indianapolis Colts fanMicrobadge: Doomtown: Reloaded fanMicrobadge: TurfMaster fanMicrobadge: Um Reifenbreite fanMicrobadge: Villains & Vigilantes RPG fan
I am wiling to act as a Secret Santa Target redistributer. Just send me a Geekmail with your target information and I'll try to make an exchange.

THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CHANGE TARGETS.

It wil be solely dependant upon participation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Parker
Canada
Cobble Hill
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Yep, mine's in Australia and I'd be able to give a better gift if I spent the money in the US. Oh well.
Maybe there should be a neutral party who'd broker swapping recipients. I'd bet some poor guy in Australia (besides my guy) has a recipient in the US.
Heck, I'm in Canada, and I'm disappointed that I didn't get a US target. I was hoping to take advantage of the dollar. As it was, I ended up spending a bit more then I was hoping too...but they should get a smile when the presents arrive. I recommend looking at online retailers. The list in the secret Santa thread should be a good start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
kensheffield wrote:
I am wiling to act as a Secret Santa Target redistributer. Just send me a Geekmail with your target information and I'll try to make an exchange.

THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO CHANGE TARGETS.

It wil be solely dependant upon participation.
I'm strongly against this - please don't do it. This thing is already a logistical nightmare without this extra complexity added in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
Microbadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: Parent of big brother and little sisterMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: TurtleCON Attendee
Aldie wrote:
I know that the international shipping can be painful - but that was stated VERY clearly up front.
Yeah, I realize that and was prepared for it this year, but in future years I think it might be better to break it up by country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Jahns
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so much concerned about the country of destination [I think it's great that it's international!], what I am concerned about is which language the game should be. I have an international target, and that country has an official language other than English. Do I send an English game and have it shipped, or do I try to find an online retailer based in the country of the target so that the language is potentially more familiar to my target?

Unfortunately my target hasn't made a lot of posts on BGG either, so I can't get a feel for which language might be preferred.

I love the international idea, and would want to keep it that way. I'm just wondering if when we're filling out Secret Santa profiles if we could also specify the language in which we'd like to receive a game. I'd hate to send someone a game they can't translate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My target is Brazil also. After checking the USPS seems to be the cheapest at about $35 from DC. Fed ex quoted around $275.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Aldie wrote:
Yeah, I realize that and was prepared for it this year, but in future years I think it might be better to break it up by country.
Same here. I knew I might get someone outside the US and was prepared for it. But I also knew I had a fixed budget and that if I were lucky enough to get someone in the US more of the budget would got for games than postage.

It's not my guy will get short shrift, it's that he won't get any extras.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cheng
United States
Catonsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Aldie wrote:
I just found it completely ironic that I, who have stated many times in the thread that I would love a target outside of my country, ended up with someone just a couple of states away. Apparently what I said fell on deaf ears. I don't want to sound unappreciative, but apparently that's just how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a notice from "across the pond" - I simply love oversea trading (well not exactly trading in this case), even though the costs are higher. I will try to set my budget as if I was trading within my country borders and can only encourage you others to do the same!
After all it's about giving and not receiving
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Donohue
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: My contribution was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant
I don't think I'd giftwrap anything sent to Brazil. I don't want to offend anyone, but various countries do have different requirements for shipping and customs. Brazil is one of the tougher countries to ship to as they have exacting standards for documentation.
This may be somewhat easier for personal shipments. FWIW, I shipped to Brazil two years ago and the local post office had by far the best rate. I think they were in the $20 range for something UPS had quoted $75 and a much longer transit time on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hélio Andrade
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very well known Blog from Brazilian gamers:

http://obatijolo.blogspot.com/

So you may want to ask them some advice on where to buy games from Brazilian stores... hope it helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a target in Brazil last year. I did the math several ways, and it made sense in the end to ship a game to myself (as part of a larger order) and then repackage it for shipment to Brazil via USPS.

Don't even try being anonymous when shipping international, as your name will be on the six pages of customs forms several times. The USPS website is actually quite helpful about determining rates & paperwork for Brazil.

I did do the legwork and ask a half-dozen other BGG users from Brazil about where they buy games. They all admitted that they ordered online from the USA and had them shipped.

Also, shipping (except the really expensive kind) takes a while. My package arrived the first week of January.

Oh, and yes, I ended up spending about the same amount of money on shipping as I did on the boardgame itself. Scary yet true.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwsparks wrote:

Also, shipping (except the really expensive kind) takes a while. My package arrived the first week of January.

Good luck!
I was going to comment about this as well. get that game shipped out early. It's going to take a while to get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: TSM fanMicrobadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Magic: The Gathering cube draft fanMicrobadge: Rolling for oneMicrobadge: League of Legends fan
Is there a list of online retailers that are participating in the Secret Santa giveaway? I'd love to personalize my gift, but if I can get my target more games by buying from an overseas store (England) and shipping direct, I'll do it.

Nevermind, I answered my own question. It's in the first post of this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/224299

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Devir has occasionally brought to Brazil some games (very few, actually) that they published in Portugal and Spain, but I think all of them are sold out. That included "The Settlers of Catan", but its price would be around $85 at the current exchange rate.

You certainly are expected to send your games from the U.S. - or from Portugal if you prefer, but they would probably be more expensive, and just some of them are translated. Shipping via USPS can be $21.70 if the package weighs up to 3 pounds (it used to be considerably less when they offered Economy Letter Post, before the nefarious recent changes). I would avoid sending games that are neither in English or Portuguese.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's funny to me that I got a Canadian this time. I'm always happy to ship wherever and have been vocal about it. Last two years I got people out of country (Chile and U.S.) and was delighted to send there...this year I'm stuck with some g********d Canuck!

I'll be horrified if they split it up by country next year, as that completely undermines the point of Secret Santa....

Robin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |