Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: christmas [+] secret-santa [+] Merry_Christmas [+] [View All]
Christian Rankin
United States
PINE MOUNTAIN CLUB
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars: Lightsaber - Darth MaulMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
carl67lp wrote:
crankin666 wrote:
I shoped, I ordered, and it is on its way.
I wonder if he will wait until Christmas?ninja
No, no, I won't. (I actually have a somewhat good reason to open mine early, if it comes in time--my mother-in-law wants to buy me a game, so I need to make sure it's not the same one I get from Santa.)

I don't think that is a good reason at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
crankin666 wrote:
I shoped, I ordered, and it is on its way.
I wonder if he will wait until Christmas?ninja
I will wait. I love Christmas so I think is importatnt to wait... if you can...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Parent of One Girl
crankin666 wrote:
Maybe not. I suppose I could always have my wife look at the game and report back to her mother. But could you blame me for opening the Secret Santa gift early?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Skiing fanMicrobadge: New England Patriots fanMicrobadge: Fly FishingMicrobadge: Lagunitas fan
The elves stayed up late and my gift is off with a little bonus game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: LibrarianMicrobadge: 2006 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2007 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2008 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: Bah, Humbug!
I have no willpower. Its getting opened the moment I get mine and I certainly wouldn't fault my target for ripping theirs open early either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Rankin
United States
PINE MOUNTAIN CLUB
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars: Lightsaber - Darth MaulMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
Denise wrote:
artfuldodge2 wrote:
Help! Someone in Switzerland pm me.

What's the best store I can buy from that will deliver to Switzerland - and won't eat me alive in shipping costs?
I just sent my target in Europe a game from Shire Games in the UK that while it wasn't super-cheap on shipping, it seemed reasonable. European shipping costs are NEVER pretty from what I can tell...
I also ordered from Shire Games. I made mine over 50GBP so I didn't have to pay the shipping cost within the UK. So, my lucky target is receiving two games with a combined value of 55GBP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Rankin
United States
PINE MOUNTAIN CLUB
CA
flag msg tools
badge
carl67lp wrote:
crankin666 wrote:
Maybe not. I suppose I could always have my wife look at the game and report back to her mother. But could you blame me for opening the Secret Santa gift early?
No, I can't blame you.
the anticipation will kill me as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lloyd
United Kingdom
Penmaenmawr
Conwy
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: RetiredMicrobadge: ProfessorMicrobadge: Casablanca fanMicrobadge: Leonard Cohen fanMicrobadge: I support the Saddlers!
artfuldodge2 wrote:

What's the best store I can buy from that will deliver to Switzerland - and won't eat me alive in shipping costs?
Try Amazon.de

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich steed
United Kingdom
Stoke-On-Trent
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Thrift Store JunkieMicrobadge: Watchmen fanMicrobadge: Zombie fan
crankin666 wrote:
Denise wrote:
artfuldodge2 wrote:

I just sent my target in Europe a game from Shire Games in the UK that while it wasn't super-cheap on shipping, it seemed reasonable. European shipping costs are NEVER pretty from what I can tell...
I also ordered from Shire Games. I made mine over 50GBP so I didn't have to pay the shipping cost within the UK. So, my lucky target is receiving two games with a combined value of 55GBP.
I hope I'm your target - Nick could deliver my goodies by hand!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: BGG Star Realms League CupMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Soccer fanMicrobadge: Kite Enthusiast
OK, I just bought and sent my gift to my target meeple

It was a lot of fun to put together (thanks Tom and Aldie for organizing this) This is about giving, and it is really nice to have an opportunity to do so !

Also, my kids had a lot of fun helping me pick the games !

The only problem I had was with the order, and hope someone here can clarify this to me.

I bought this in a German site (I don't speak/read German), I think I managed to change the shipping address to the appropriate address in Germany, however, while I was paying with Paypal, there was another option to change the shipping address there (i.e. in the Paypal screen not in the game store site) which I didn't change gulp

I hope my gift reaches my target, and that I don't end-up paying shipping charges to get those games here in the States, only to have them sent back to Germany !

Does anyone know how this works ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Rankin
United States
PINE MOUNTAIN CLUB
CA
flag msg tools
badge
King Zombie wrote:

I hope I'm your target - Nick could deliver my goodies by hand!

Sorry King, but this Santa does not like Zombies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Schneider
United States
Lyons
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love AutumnMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Pizza loverMicrobadge: Rogue Cthulhu memberMicrobadge: Arkham Horror fan
I'm going to add a little something that tells my target a little something about the area I live in, i.e. a bottle of maple syrup or apple butter, etc...(I have some other ideas as well)

This is fun, I hope my target is excited!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich steed
United Kingdom
Stoke-On-Trent
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Thrift Store JunkieMicrobadge: Watchmen fanMicrobadge: Zombie fan
Found out that Amazon.com do very reasonable shipping to south america and the estimated delivery date for my gift is the 24th Decemeber.

Couldn't do better if I tried

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mackey
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: EurogamerMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many GamesMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
teg2 wrote:
OK, I just bought and sent my gift to my target meeple

It was a lot of fun to put together (thanks Tom and Aldie for organizing this) This is about giving, and it is really nice to have an opportunity to do so !

Also, my kids had a lot of fun helping me pick the games !

The only problem I had was with the order, and hope someone here can clarify this to me.

I bought this in a German site (I don't speak/read German), I think I managed to change the shipping address to the appropriate address in Germany, however, while I was paying with Paypal, there was another option to change the shipping address there (i.e. in the Paypal screen not in the game store site) which I didn't change gulp

I hope my gift reaches my target, and that I don't end-up paying shipping charges to get those games here in the States, only to have them sent back to Germany !

Does anyone know how this works ?
It will depend on who you bought it from whether they will trust the address in their system or what paypal tells the vendor. I suspect most would trust their own system using paypal as a funds transfer mechanism. But it can't hurt to add a note in the paypal notes section. I know that Paypal wont let me set up gift addresses in a foreign country. (Short-sighted)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis FitzPatrick
United States
Yuma
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings fanMicrobadge: Pittsburgh Steelers fanMicrobadge: A Game of Thrones fanMicrobadge: DungeonQuest (3rd edition) fanMicrobadge: Copper Reviewer
Still having a problem getting my target. I clicked on the link, clicked on "My Target" and got back

N/A
Their Wishlist (link)
and then no address info or anything...

I clicked on the wishlist link and got...my wishlist? (Am I my own Secret Santa? And how do I sell that one to the wife...)

I tried to join again to see if I made a mistake and it said I already joined.

Help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: BGG Star Realms League CupMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Soccer fanMicrobadge: Kite Enthusiast
Hope that is the case. I went back to Paypal, and realized, as you say, that I couldn't have entered the address in Germany there anyway, which is probably a good sign in itself as it probably means that the vendor is familiar with how this works, and knows to trust his own system and not Paypal.

Will keep my fingers crossed ! I wish I could be there when my target opens the package and finds a couple of his top wishlist items inside !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Idol
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Rock on!Microbadge: Play music as loud as possibleMicrobadge: 80's Music fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I love London
Billy's back and he's going overseas this year, which is slowing down his well-known creativity, but, OTOH, forced him to get off his keister & get the games ordered early. I'm done.

Don't delay, Secret Santas, or Billy Idol will be forced to bring his elf over to your house & throw a post-apocalyptic Christmas party on your roof. (And you thought 8 reindeers were rough on your shingles?!)

with a Santa Yell (ho! ho! ho!),

Billy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark MacRae
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Beer fanMicrobadge: Boston Bruins fanMicrobadge: Sailing fan
So, as I was excitedly telling my gf last night about this huge world-wide board-gamers secret santa that I was participating in, she mentioned that we should contact the folks at Guiness to find out if we're setting a world record or something. I don't know - 1000 people is a lot, but could it be a record?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Go playerMicrobadge: Chit Chat EPYC games fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Colorblind
Holy cow ThoughtHammer's website is running slow. We must be hammering it.

Get the good games while stock remains! Act fast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: LibrarianMicrobadge: 2006 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2007 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2008 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: Bah, Humbug!
Reish Galuta wrote:
Holy cow ThoughtHammer's website is running slow. We must be hammering it.

Get the good games while stock remains! Act fast!
Funagain isn't faring much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: University of Notre DameMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Cleveland Browns fanMicrobadge: Baen Books fan
DoomDahDoomDoom wrote:
So, as I was excitedly telling my gf last night about this huge world-wide board-gamers secret santa that I was participating in, she mentioned that we should contact the folks at Guiness to find out if we're setting a world record or something. I don't know - 1000 people is a lot, but could it be a record?
It appears as though there is no category for the world's largest international gift exchange program. I checked the Guiness website and searched for things like "gift", "presents", "trading", and a bunch of other keywords that may even be remotely connected. The fact that there isn't a category for it doesn't mean that there can't be one.

Aldie or Tom, either of you want to head this up and see if it a reasonable quest? The "World's Largest Holiday Gift Exchange". How many other organizations can organize over 1,000 entries in an international gift exchange like this. I would love to be able to tell people that I participated in a "Guiness Book of World Records" Event!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: Married 25 yearsMicrobadge: I stole cookies from the cookie jarMicrobadge: I give out citizenship stars
Yiiippppiiieee,

my trget is in Canada, bought a "Must Have" game from his wishlist at an online store in Canada - should arrive at his place soon....

Merry Christmas!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love 8-bit!Microbadge: PodcasterMicrobadge: Dungeonquest fanMicrobadge: GothCon fanMicrobadge: Video Game Geek of the Week
Shopped and ordered today as well. Here's hoping my american target will enjoy his games (hint hint). Now to prepare the package of local flavorings....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Bezzant
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
"Everyone wants to be unique, but no one wants to be different."
Microbadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: ColorblindMicrobadge: FallCon attendeeMicrobadge: I have at least 7,000 logged game plays!Microbadge: I use Iron Clays in my games
As a relative newcomer to designer boardgames and a constant lurker on BGG, I think this Secret Santa is a great way to give back to the community that, in general is incredibly giving.

I ordered my target two of their 'must haves' off of their wish list through ThoughtHammer (Thanks to them for adding bonus dice to the order!).

Next on my to-do list will be to start being more active on the boards here, and start giving back to the group that has given me many hours of enjoyment!

Merry Christmas All!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: PhotographerMicrobadge: 18xx fanMicrobadge: Statistics fanMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Scientist
chrisnd wrote:

Aldie or Tom, either of you want to head this up and see if it a reasonable quest? The "World's Largest Holiday Gift Exchange". How many other organizations can organize over 1,000 entries in an international gift exchange like this. I would love to be able to tell people that I participated in a "Guiness Book of World Records" Event!
I bet we could get "Most Participants in a Multi-Way Barter", too, with math trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [34] |