Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I've been playing with bohnanza quite a while recently, and I am quite advanced in toying with the idea of blind-redesigning Puerto Rico. I read the rules, but my bro couldn't find the time to come over with his copy, so I havent played it yet.

The question is : Is it worth my while? :

edit: download
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look nice! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very stylish. I particularly like the ease of seeing how much each building is worth. The little icon in the corner is a nice touch as well. Good job thus far!

goldencamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! Clean and functional.

I like the icons. It would be nice if there were some way to tweak the layout to make the icons larger and more prominent. Also, the coffee bean icon could stand to benefit from some negative space inside the beans.

I'm not a fan of the Trajan type, though -- it just doesn't seem appropriate. How about a Caslon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're very crisp, very stylish and as far as I can tell they have only one problem. The VP are printed in such a way as a colonist will be covering them; it's quite important for this game they don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Spire wrote:
Very nice! Clean and functional.

I like the icons. It would be nice if there were some way to tweak the layout to make the icons larger and more prominent. Also, the coffee bean icon could stand to benefit from some negative space inside the beans.

I'm not a fan of the Trajan type, though -- it just doesn't seem appropriate. How about a Caslon?

Thanks! I'll try to enhance contrast of the coffee icon. As for the type, I'm quite font of my choice this time, thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
fellonmyhead wrote:
They're very crisp, very stylish and as far as I can tell they have only one problem. The VP are printed in such a way as a colonist will be covering them; it's quite important for this game they don't.

I though the colonists were supposed to be put in the circles on the bottom...The cost will be covered, but the VPs? when does it happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah; sorry - I am not awake yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
fellonmyhead wrote:
Oh yeah; sorry - I am not awake yet!

No need to apologize, your comment made me rethink the importance of the cost number. Right now it's just to prominent...

May be that's why the VP icon seems to be too small...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
about the players boards : is there an utilitary intention behind the way the square tiles go on the island?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The position of the tiles is not important; this is true whether you're talking about plantation tiles or building tiles (which can be moved about if you need to fit in a double-space building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
As I was modifying the layout for San Juan I realized that the 4 horizontal*3 vertical buildings allows for only 4 big buildings at a time, but if I do it 3 horizontal * 4 vertical, one could put as much as 6 big buildings (so you could theoretically put all the 5 big buildings in san juan. Is it a situation that can arise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sincerely doubt anybody would normaly be able to buy three of them when playing against decent opposition; five is unimaginable but I suppose it could be possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Ok, thank you. here's a first draft :

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas P. Felder
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You totally abandoned any resamblance to an island with your player board, did you? No palms, no beach, no city image of San Juan (this you need to add again as this is the place where unused colonist are being placed, which happens every now and then).

That's a pity, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Sternenfahrer-MUC wrote:
You totally abandoned any resamblance to an island with your player board, did you? No palms, no beach, no city image of San Juan (this you need to add again as this is the place where unused colonist are being placed, which happens every now and then).

That's a pity, I think.

You may be right, and I may take your opinion into account

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

Had my first play of PR today; reverting to a somehow more figurative player board. I didn't get the "unused colonists" situation. I guess it may happen when you get lots of colonists with few open slots?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
I sincerely doubt anybody would normaly be able to buy three of them when playing against decent opposition; five is unimaginable but I suppose it could be possible.

I've seen a player with three big buildings a couple of times, and it's not even a guarantee of victory. I agree with you that five is unimaginable (as well as being impossible due to city layout with the game as printed), at least until I see someone with four

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando Silva
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this board much better than your other plain version! The actual island definitely adds flavor.

Being a Puerto Rican myself, I can tell you that us Puerto Rican Puerto Rico players (is that cacophonic?) always complain about the weirdness of the map. These are major points of whining among us:

1. There are no big huge stone formations in the island's center Those on the player boards are way out of place.

2. Only the eastern 40% of the island is pictured. When we wanna place plantation tiles, we yearn for a bit of historical and agricultural correctness. Coffee is grown in the Cordillera Central or Central Mountain Range (Europeans or North & South Americans might call them "hills"), because it's cooler there. Sugar cane is always grown near the sea, because it's a flatter terrain and it's warmer and more humid.

Maybe you would want to include the whole island in your boards, and leave like 3 spaces in the Cordillera Central, and 9 spaces all around, near the littoral areas. And do, as you have wisely done, dispense with the funny rocks

http://users.aol.com/np4cc/prdata.htm

Oh, check THIS one out. A 1899 map!
http://maps.bpl.org/id/05_04_000024/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Hi!

Thanks for the remarks! Could you list me the five bigger harbor cities in Puerto rico, if there's any?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando Silva
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karim:

Nowadays, The top harbor is still San Juan, and also Mayagüez and Ponce are large cities with smaller harbors. However, these are modern port cities. Back is the 1550s, the only harbor city was San Juan. Keep in mind that the Spanish invaded Puerto Rico only in 1493! There was a second important town, San Germán, in the South East, but it was far from the coast, to avoid raiding for the usual English, French, Dutch, etc. That was the primary reason for founding San Juan—the remoteness was unpractical for supplying and to defend against invasion.

Curious fact:
Columbus's originally named this island San Juan Bautista (St. John the Baptist), and the city founded in the North was named Puerto Rico (Rich Port). Somehow, over the decades, the two names became interchanged to Puerto Rico for the whole island, and just San Juan for its capital!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
pajaromuerto wrote:
Karim:

Nowadays, The top harbor is still San Juan, and also Mayagüez and Ponce are large cities with smaller harbors. However, these are modern port cities. Back is the 1550s, the only harbor city was San Juan. Keep in mind that the Spanish invaded Puerto Rico only in 1493! There was a second important town, San Germán, in the South East, but it was far from the coast, to avoid raiding for the usual English, French, Dutch, etc. That was the primary reason for founding San Juan—the remoteness was unpractical for supplying and to defend against invasion.

Curious fact:
Columbus's originally named this island San Juan Bautista (St. John the Baptist), and the city founded in the North was named Puerto Rico (Rich Port). Somehow, over the decades, the two names became interchanged to Puerto Rico for the whole island, and just San Juan for its capital!

Interesting historical background. Interesting, but that doesn't help me much I thought I'd simply make 5 boards different with 5 towns... But it just won't work. For starters, was there really indigo culture in Puerto Rico in the 17th century??

Frankly the whole business of historical/geographical realism just don't click with me in this game. In the end, even if I keep the figurative boards, I'll probably change 'San Juan' to 'Ciudad' and be done with it We can imagine that we're developing an alternate reality of Puerto Rico with 5 harbor towns, and asiatic plants too No offense intended, mind you.

Since some are still interested in this thread, I'll post the first draft for the role cards :

You'll notice I suck as an illustrator, but hey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmb
carthaginian wrote:

Since some are still interested in this thread, I'll post the first draft for the role cards :

You'll notice I suck as an illustrator, but hey.

Why don't you just go with a more abstract / silhouette / icon-based style of illustration (like you already have with your buildings and plantations) for the role cards, then? Also, some of your text is a little confusing (for Mayor, for example, you have "Each player takes and places a colonist," when, in fact, players will often get more than one colonist and they don't just "take" them). The messy text layout and interchanging use of numerals and written-out numbers also detracts from the elegant simplicity of your previous work on the buildings and plantations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
NateStraight wrote:
Also, some of your text is a little confusing (for Mayor, for example, you have "Each player takes and places a colonist," when, in fact, players will often get more than one colonist and they don't just "take" them). The messy text layout and interchanging use of numerals and written-out numbers also detracts from the elegant simplicity of your previous work on the buildings and plantations.

The text, I copy-pasted it from RioGrande rules book, p4 for the mayor. I thought it was neat I'll check it up and the layout too, thanks for the heads-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carthaginian wrote:
Since some are still interested in this thread, I'll post the first draft for the role cards....

You mislabeled the Settler as "Colonist".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.