Popular Tags: texas [+] [View All]
John Gravitt
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Join us for GITHOT--Games in the Heart of Texas.
http://githot.com

Games in the Heart of Texas is a fun festival of board and card games.

Get in the board game groove at GITHOT:

* Open gaming
* Door Prizes
* Local Excursions
* Snacks
* Soft Drinks
* Free Wireless Access (Some people like to log their games or have access to FAQs when they need it)
* Lightly Played Game Sale

Trivia fans rejoice! Thanks to Dominic Crapuchettes of Northstar Games, we’ll be having a team game of Wits and Wagers, the 2nd Edition. Members of the team of four who win will each receive a copy of Wits and Wagers the 2nd Edition. This game has been very popular at our Central Texas Boardgames Meetup and deserves to be in your collection as well.

When? Open gaming starts at 6:30 PM on Friday, Jan. 11, and ends at 9 pm on Sunday, Jan. 13, 2008 (at least that's when the main game collection is going home!). Gaming lasts till midnight each night. If you still want to game, we are free to use the tables in the hotel lobby. The game room itself will open at 9:30 Saturday and Sunday morning.

Where? Wingate by Wyndham & Conference Center - Round Rock, TX
1209 North Interstate Highway 35, Round Rock, TX 78664
Round Rock is just north of Austin, Texas.
Phone: 512-341-7000 Fax: 512-341-7011 Come in and check the sign for our room.

Pre-registration: You may to choose to register in advance for a discount and to guarantee your attendance. A one day membership to the event is $10. Membership for the entire weekend is $20. Membership for a couple is $18 for one day and $30 for the weekend. If you choose to wait and register at the event, a one day pass is $12 in cash or check at the door. Refunds? Yeah, right. The GITHOT pre-registration fee is a discounted rate extended in exchange for your promise to attend. As such, no refunds are allowed. If you must drop out, please let us know so we can give your slot to someone else. We appreciate your support of our gaming fun and hope you can join us next year.

Registration at the Door: We will be taking registrations at the door as well by cash or by check. Door price for the weekend is $30. For any one day, the price is $12. Supervised children 12 and over may play in the open gaming area for free when accompanied by a paying adult. There is no couple pricing at the door. Register early to secure your discount.

Send your check to John Gravitt, 3622 Cheyenne Stree, Round Rock, TX, 78664. You may also pay through a paypal notice to johnatthegravittgroup.com. Replace at with @.
If you are a member of the free Central Texas Boardgames Meetup, you can simply RSVP online and use the Paypal button for your pre-registration.

Do you have games you no longer play you'd love see go to a good home? It's free to participate in our "Lightly Played Game" sale. Just bring the games you'd like to sell and some cash for the ones you'd like to take home with you. It's free to participate in the sale. Setup is at 2:45 PM Saturday and the sale begins at 3:00.

Lodging: Most gamers will be local. If you'd like to stay at the Wingate, their normal weekend rate is $99 a room. This includes free wireless, workouts at the local 24-Hour Fitness, and a continental breafast. There is no shuttle to the airport so you might consider renting a car if you are coming in from out of town. If we have enough people interested in getting rooms, we'll negotiate for a better room rate. Several other hotels are nearby including a Red Roof Inn and several extended stay type hotels. Some alternate hotels include:

Best Western Executive 255-3221

Country Inn 512-246-2800

Courtyard Inn 255-5551

Holiday Inn 733-2630

La Qunta Inn 255-6666

Springhill Estates 733-6700

Dining: There are restaurants within Texas walking distance of the conference center but no restaurant on site. Arby's is .8 miles away. There's a nearby KFC, Dairy Queen, El Arroyo, Long John Silvers, Short Stop, Pacific Star, and Popeye's. It's a short drive to other local restaurants including Fuddruckers, Chuy's, Rudy's Barbecue, Cracker Barrel, Bennigans, Double Dave's Pizza, etc.

So, Are you going to G.I.T.H.O.T?

Git on Down Here for the 1st Annual GITHOT. Register early, this convention is limited to 100 gamers.

A $20 pre-registration gets you in all weekend.

G.I.T.H.O.T is courtesy of a local game group, The Cental Texas Boardgames Meetup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to this. The Austin area has a lot of gamers but they are spread out. Hopefully this will be event where we can all meet each other. Maybe the central location will draw gamers from San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: G.I.T.H.O.T.--Gaming in the Heart of Texas- Austin 1/11-
jgravitt wrote:

When? Open gaming starts at 6:30 PM on Friday, Jan. 11, and ends at 9 pm on Sunday, Jan. 13, 2007 (at least that's when the main game collection is going home!). Gaming lasts till midnight each night. If you still want to game, we are free to use the tables in the hotel lobby. The game room itself will open at 9:30 Saturday and Sunday morning.

Unless you have a time machine...I can't go.

On another note, your entry fee seems quite steep.
What do you get for the price of admission, and what expenses, exactly, are covered by the fees?

I don't mind supporting a group, but I'd like to know where my money is going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Oops, it will be in 2008.

Thanks JAE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:

I don't know about that. It seems fairly reasonable and in line with other similar events like Unity Games (http://www.unitygames.org/ugxiv/ugxiv.htm) and the Atlanta Game Fest (http://www.atlantagamefest.com/).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The price seems fair to me. We have a similar event in Dallas (www.dallasgamesmarathon.com) where we charge $10 for pre-registration but our event is only Friday night and Saturday. The extra day certainly warrants the extra expense. I wish you luck with your event.

BTW our event is January 18-19 so it doesn't conflict with yours. You might even see some Dallas people there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

I will be attending your con. And I will even design a tee-shirt for it.

You should post this on the Russcon mailing list.

You should also mention that there will be a number of disc golfers present. So a field trip to a nearby course (Old Settlers, Cat Hollow, or Wilco) might be in order.

As an aside, you are welcome to use that picture. But every time I see it I cringe. You can't really tell at that resolution, but it seems like the guy looking at the camera should be in focus. However, the actual focus point is the woman in the lime green shirt (twenty feet away). Ahh, hind sight is 20/20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, Mark. And you're still doing the "42 tournament" at 4:20 Saturday? Maybe some of your lunch 42 group will come for it? That would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
jgravitt wrote:

When? Open gaming starts at 6:30 PM on Friday, Jan. 11, and ends at 9 pm on Sunday, Jan. 13, 2007 (at least that's when the main game collection is going home!). Gaming lasts till midnight each night. If you still want to game, we are free to use the tables in the hotel lobby. The game room itself will open at 9:30 Saturday and Sunday morning.

Unless you have a time machine...I can't go.

What do you get for the price of admission, and what expenses, exactly, are covered by the fees?

I don't mind supporting a group, but I'd like to know where my money is going.

You get to play with Chapel. What else could you possibly want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So I was buying some games for door prizes and I wondering about something. I know people don't go to conventions for door prizes and that they are still a nice bonus. Given the price of this one is $20, do you think people would be offended by opened games as door prizes. For example, I own Fire and Axe; I've punched it but never played my copy. Would that be a good candidate for a door prize or would people be offended that it was not in shrink?

Thanks,
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe... Your birthday con, your rules. Just remember that your unplayed copy of Neuland is mine and therefore off limits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I love used games. But it doesn't matter - I don't win prizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Here are some questions:

If MikePod Chapel runs his 80's songs, heavy on the Chilli Peppers and INXS, through the hotel sound system, is that considered a public performance?

Would we have to pay for the right to do that? Would it annoy serious gamers?

PS For you shirt makers, I think we'll go with GITHOT-Games in the Heart of Texas. I haven't been consistent with the first G. I like the "I'm a GITHOTTIE" idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The hotel now has GITHOT rooms put aside until Jan. 1. They are $71 instead of $99, include free wireless, continental breakfast buffet, passes to 24 hour fitness across the highway, etc.

These will only be available until Jan. 1 and then they are released. Book early if you want a room for GITHOT--Games in the Heart of Texas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I missed this, but when does pre-reg end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'll take Pre-Regs up until we start the evening of 1/11.

john@thegravittgroup.com for PayPal and
http://githot.com for more information. Thanks for your registration, Joey. Maybe you can get Mark and some of your other friends to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I proselytize GITHOT each week at Game Night... but last week Mark beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
If Mark liked Space Dealer he'll flip for Galaxy Trucker. I can't find it anywhere but Tim and Mark H. have it.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
GITHOT update:
Trivia fans rejoice! Thanks to Dominic Crapuchettes of Northstar Games, we’ll be having a team game of Wits and Wagers, the 2nd Edition. Members of the team of four who win will each receive a copy of Wits and Wagers the 2nd Edition. This game has been very popular at our Central Texas Boardgames Meetup and deserves to be in your collection as well.

Flea Market: We are having a flea market of used games Saturday afternoon. I’ll probably be involved in a game then so I decided to price about 100 of the games I’ll have in the library. There are some games I’ve had for a while and I just haven’t been able to get to the table (Hart an der Grenz, Amazonas, Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper, The Bucket King, Ido, Road to the White House, British Rails), some games I played and am just not crazy about (Settlers of Candamir, Bison, Fire and Axe, Logistico), some games I like that are not likely to hit the table often (Bootleggers), and some games I’d like to update with new graphics, editions, or just have the English version instead of paste-ups (Can’t Stop, Industria, Wikinger (now Vikings), Settlers of Catan). Since these games are going to be in the library, you’ll have a chance to play them before you pick them up at flea market prices. It’s a pain enough to put labels on the games so forgive me if I don’t type them all up and price them in advance.

Door prizes: The door prize library is growing. Great Hall games in Austin has agreed to provide some door prizes and I’ve been buying a lot as well. Check this geeklist for information. http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/27554

Reminder: GITHOT runs from 6:30 PM January 11 to 9:00 PM January 13 at the Wingate Conference Center in Round Rock, just north of Austin. Visit http://githot.com for registration information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of a flea market. I'll go through our games and find some to unload. I'd also like to claim your British Rails early if I may. How can you get rid of a train game?!? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gravitt
United States
Suwanee
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tichu Tournament Rules for GITHOT

Only 4 player Tichu counts. We all know the that's the only real Tichu.

1. All players in a Tichu game must agree for the game to be a "tournament" game. This agreement must occur before players look at their cards. If one team wants the game to be a tournament game and the other team doesn't, the declining team must be mocked by the "real" team. This mocking period ends after the first pass of the cards.
2. Choose your partner well. The tournament is single elimination for teams and double elimination for individual players. This means that the losers can form into a new team that is still eligible to win the tournament. A team who has won will list their team on the "undefeated" board. Players may only be on the "undefeated" board as a member of one team. After losing a second time, players are no longer eligible for the Tichu prize and all of their further Tichu games are not tournament games.
3. No table talk is allowed. A player may not be coached by any kind of signal including gestures and voice clearing. Hands may be discussed after their completion.
4. Scores must be kept in a legible manner and turned in after the game.
5. The Tichu tournament is fairly unstructured and any "tournament" game counts including late-night sessions in the hotel lobby as long as all players agree it is a tournament game.
6. The Tichu prizes will go to THE remaining undefeated team. This means that if more than one team is listed on the "undefeated board" the tournament is not over. Players should try and wrap up by 4 PM Sunday so that out-of-town players have plenty of time to travel home.

Join us for GITHOT--Games in the Heart of Texas, Jan. 11-13.
http://githot.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a tee shirt for the convention here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.