Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Perry
United States
Roseville
Mi
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm going to be out that way between the 18th of December and 3rd of January for Christmas and New Years... I'd like to check out a game store while I'm there... Gonna be spending time with my sweetheart for the holidays so while she is at work a few times during my visit out there I'd like to check out a store or two...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a game store in downtown Berkeley at the corner of Shattuck and Center Street. It's called Games of Berkeley. Not the friendliest staff in the world, but they have a good selection of games, including some older out-of-print titles.

Everything is full retail price - no discounts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
San Francisco - Gamescape. On Divisidero near Oak. I think they have a store in San Rafael as well.

Concord - Black Diamond Games. They have a nice new store near the Willow Pass Road exit off of 680.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoMa wrote:
There's a game store in downtown Berkeley at the corner of Shattuck and Center Street. It's called Games of Berkeley. Not the friendliest staff in the world, but they have a good selection of games, including some older out-of-print titles.

I agree that the staff isn't too friendly. I've only been there once and I didn't have such a great experience. I highly recommend Endgame in Oakland if you make out that way. Wednesday nights they have open gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Perry
United States
Roseville
Mi
flag msg tools
mbmb
Where are some stores in the Sacramento area... I'll be there most of the time... I'll be in the Bay Area only a few days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fassio
United States
Petaluma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Diamond Games
1950 Market Street, Suite E
Concord, CA
925-947-0600
www.blackdiamondgames.com

Endgame
921 Washington St.
Oakland, CA
510-465-3637
www.endgameoakland.com

Toy Fusion
3501 Sunrise Blvd No. 3
Rancho Cordova, CA
916-852-1081
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoMa wrote:

Not friendly indeed. yuk

I live in Berkeley and refuse to shop there. I give my business to Eudemonia around the corner (University between Shattuck and Oxford). They're much friendlier (still not the best ever or anything), and frequently offer discounts by mailing list (30% off everything most recently, and 40% off expansions before that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that EndGame in downtown Oakland is the best game store in the Bay Area. They have a large selection of games, a knowledgeable and friendly staff, and great store space and copious amounts of open gaming tables.

I found them by accident when looking for a game group and I have been extremely happy with them over the last two years.

http://www.endgameoakland.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Perry
United States
Roseville
Mi
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm looking forward to checking out a few of those stores... My sweetheart is just getting into board games... A dear friend of my girlfriend plays games with her husband as its cheap entertainment at home... So I've been trying to get Kelly interested in games more... The three of us play Ticket To Ride on the Days of Wonder website...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Morbid wrote:
Where are some stores in the Sacramento area... I'll be there most of the time... I'll be in the Bay Area only a few days...
In Sacramento, for boardgames, there's really only 3 stores to go look into:

Toy Fuzion (owners are BGGers, and are knowledgeable, friendly, and supportive of Sac Boardgame Meetups - feel free to drop by a Meetup while you're here)

Great Escape Games

Viking Hobby
(check out this dedication GeekList)
Pictures and article, click here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Perry
United States
Roseville
Mi
flag msg tools
mbmb
John, I'm definitely going to have to stop there... Its only about 20 minutes from Roseville, CA where I'll be staying for two and a half weeks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
ciscokidnj wrote:
I think that EndGame in downtown Oakland is the best game store in the Bay Area. They have a large selection of games, a knowledgeable and friendly staff, and great store space and copious amounts of open gaming tables.

I found them by accident when looking for a game group and I have been extremely happy with them over the last two years.

I'll second this recommendation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Oakland is 75 or so minutes from Roseville (with no traffic (ha ha ha)), so might be worth the trip for a game night at one of the Oakland stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest catching one of the Meetups while you're here - there's the great location at Arden Dimmick library on Dec 22nd that is a great place to learn new games, or play favorites.

Go see the GeekLists of previous Sacto Meetups for an idea of some of the play (keeping in mind that if you're there, you can participate in the selection of which game is played).
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/tag/sacramento

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gator Games in San Mateo is the place I shop the most. San Mateo is mid-way between San Francisco and San Jose on the Peninsula:

http://gatorgames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuesday meetups from 6pm to 11pm at Crepeville at 18th and L streets in Mid-town traffic. Please Geekmail if you need better directions.

we'd love to have a 'special bat-guest-star' at a meetup or two.
happy shopping and gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Perry
United States
Roseville
Mi
flag msg tools
mbmb
davido wrote:
Tuesday meetups from 6pm to 11pm at Crepeville at 18th and L streets in Mid-town traffic. Please Geekmail if you need better directions.

we'd love to have a 'special bat-guest-star' at a meetup or two.
happy shopping and gaming.

David, do you guys meet every Tuesday or just once a month...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamescape in San Francisco has a spectacular board game selection, much better than any other in the Bay Area.

I really like Great Escape Games in Sacramento, but their board game selection doesn't really compare - they're more focused on miniatures.

I agree that Games of Berkley tends to hire lazy jerks for some reason. I used to run CCG tournaments and they seemed openly hostile to the idea of me bringing business into their store because it might be inconvenient to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fox
United States
Diamond Springs
California
flag msg tools
A+ comics in Roseville and Sacramento. But nothing beats Viking and Great Escape around here as the previous guy posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Joshua - I'll chime with some info as well.

To answer your question regarding the Tuesday Crepeville meetups - yes, they are a weekly function starting at 6:30 PM and ending around 10:30 PM. We typically have between 12-24 attendees. Of ocurse, those numbers could be off due to holiday schedules of the gamers.

With regards to game stores - as seen by the pic aboce, Viking will have the greatest selection. Depending on who is 'manning' the store, the actual game knowledge varies, so it's great if you already know WHAT you want. Great Escape is the RPG home of Sacramento. They have some board games (and a very nice seating area) as well. Toy Fusion has a nice selection of board games and is the host of a monthly gaming session (typically, the first Saturday of the month).

Hope this helps.

Again, drop-bys are encouraged for the Tuesday Crepeville events and I'm sure you'd find plenty of gaming available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Starkey
msg tools
How do the prices at Viking Hobby compare to online prices?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
amplified wrote:

It's very difficult for any "Brick and Mortar" store to compete with an online retailer, especially if you order enough to get the free shipping. With that, I know that Viking offers their games at a percentage off the MSRP, but I don't recall the exact number - 10 or 15 maybe?

But the thing to remember is that these FLGS's allow us the opportunity to view the bits and pieces in-hand, rather than online pics. And that does count for something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamemark wrote:
ciscokidnj wrote:

I'll second this recommendation...
Me three. EndGame has great people, great selection, and great play space. It's just everything a game store should be in this day and age. If you are in the East Bay, you should hit up EndGame, especially on a Wednesday night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toy Fusions brick and mortar store is closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ellingson
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viking Hobby discounts board games 10% off MSRP.

jjacjackson wrote:
amplified wrote:

It's very difficult for any "Brick and Mortar" store to compete with an online retailer, especially if you order enough to get the free shipping. With that, I know that Viking offers their games at a percentage off the MSRP, but I don't recall the exact number - 10 or 15 maybe?

But the thing to remember is that these FLGS's allow us the opportunity to view the bits and pieces in-hand, rather than online pics. And that does count for something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |