Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I might be traveling to Des Moines area this month and was wondering what were some good gaming stores in the area. I prefer a mix of board games, so ones dedicated solely to CCG or minis wouldn't be preferred.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
The best game store in Des Moines for board games is Games 'n More in Valley West Mall. No other stores have anywhere near the selection of GnM. They also have a large bookshelf of demo copies of games and tables on which to play them.

However, they don't carry miniatures or CCGs at all, so if you want some of that stuff, you could go to Mayhem Collectibles. They have that stuff plus some board games, though not anywhere near the stock at GnM does. They have a large playing area, though it's mostly used by GW miniature gamers and they don't have demo copies of board games there.

You could easily hit both stores as they are about a 10 minute drive from each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1543457#1543457 for the two best choices.

Also, when will you be here? You may be able to participate in the monthly game night.

Pinto wrote:
Hi, I might be traveling to Des Moines area this month and was wondering what were some good gaming stores in the area. I prefer a mix of board games, so ones dedicated solely to CCG or minis wouldn't be preferred.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bilben04 wrote:
The best game store in Des Moines for board games is Games 'n More in Valley West Mall. No other stores have anywhere near the selection of GnM. They also have a large bookshelf of demo copies of games and tables on which to play them.

However, they don't carry miniatures or CCGs at all, so if you want some of that stuff, you could go to Mayhem Collectibles. They have that stuff plus some board games, though not anywhere near the stock at GnM does. They have a large playing area, though it's mostly used by GW miniature gamers and they don't have demo copies of board games there.

You could easily hit both stores as they are about a 10 minute drive from each other.

Exactly correct from my experience. we used to have a few other ones that had some decent miniature and board game stuff (Regal Hobbies), but they're no longer around.

Plus, the lady that owns Games'n'More is great and always willing to help, order something if you need it, and tell you about new stuff coming out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to thank everyone for the Games and More recommendation. I thought it was incredible with their selection and found the elusive Mississippi Queen and also picked up Tumbling Dice. It was packed, so I was unable to talk to the staff like in previous advice. I wish the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City had stores with this selection.

I didn't go to Mayhem as I was quite familiar with their store in Ames (and assumed they were similar.)

Thanks for the game night offer, however unfortunately I had limited time and was only able to visit the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls