Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
772 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [31] | 

Magic Realm» Forums » General

Subject: Redesign - to MR fans : do I deserve it ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: print-n-play [+] diy [+] Cool! [+] copyright_FUD [+] ToDo [+] remake [+] Creative [+] pnp [+] Images [+] customized [+] [View All]
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carthaginian wrote:
is the pilgrim better like that? :

Yes, I like that much better. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Restarting the tiles :

edit : corrected
edit2 : updated
edit3 : updated
edit4 : updated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
whoa. Much better. Though if I was in a nitpicky mood I'd say that the bridge looks a little 'pasted in' there. These really do look good.

I built a copy of the game last year, and you're making me want to rebuild it all over again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the tiles. They look really nice

-Jorge

Edit: problem was corrected

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Thanks! I uploaded a revised version trying to improve the look of th bridge, and modifying the paths starting for better connection

the first ones look pretty much the same...

edit : upgraded tiles
edit2 : include profile
edit3 : added gimmick for enchanted clearings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
The darker green is the enchanted side? I thought the enchanted sides were supposed to be multi-colored. And they're really dark -- isn't that a problem?

The clearings with the black "aura" (for lack of a better word) are cave clearings? Or is it supposed to be more like a chasm (open on top)?

FWIW, I really liked your first (clean) cut at the tiles (tile 11). But I've never played this and have no intention to play it. I'm just interested in what you're doing with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the new tiles!

rgmnetid wrote:
The clearings with the black "aura" (for lack of a better word) are cave clearings? Or is it supposed to be more like a chasm (open on top)?

They're supposed to be chasms. Valley tiles don't have any Cave Clearings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Van den Berghe
Belgium
Blanden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the redesign of all the counters so far.
I own the original game, but I'm planning to remake a new copy with your artwork.

About the tiles however I am less convinced. They seem to lack the thematic feel of the original. They look a bit to clean to me, not like a 'real' fantasy world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Η
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glynnyth wrote:
I love the redesign of all the counters so far.
I own the original game, but I'm planning to remake a new copy with your artwork.

About the tiles however I am less convinced. They seem to lack the thematic feel of the original. They look a bit to clean to me, not like a 'real' fantasy world.

I second that. I love everything you have created so far except the tiles. They look too artificial IMHO of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
nerotora wrote:

I second that. I love everything you have created so far except the tiles. They look too artificial IMHO of course.

Is it a general impression or you could point out what specifically looks 'artificial' to you?

edit : I modifed the first 3 tiles several times and to avoid crowding both my gallery and this thread I'll now try to update my posts. Please avoid quoting the pics when you answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
4 - Dark Valley. Tried to upload a Jpeg with an embedded profile, is there any difference ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm using what will become Firefox 3 and it supports profiles, but I'm not sure I see any difference. Having said that, it does seem like there is more highlighting on the dark tiles to make the clearings stand out more (this last tile [#4] excepted). At least a little. It could easily be my imagination. :)

Again, I've never played this, and I don't know how big these tiles are or what characteristics are needful during play, but other than seemingly not enough contrast between the clearing and the background on the darker sides, these look fantastic -- especially compared to other tiles I've seen for this game. Maybe by artificial, people mean the pathways are too linear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
rgmnetid wrote:
I'm using what will become Firefox 3 and it supports profiles, but I'm not sure I see any difference. Having said that, it does seem like there is more highlighting on the dark tiles to make the clearings stand out more (this last tile [#4] excepted). At least a little. It could easily be my imagination.

Again, I've never played this, and I don't know how big these tiles are or what characteristics are needful during play, but other than seemingly not enough contrast between the clearing and the background on the darker sides, these look fantastic -- especially compared to other tiles I've seen for this game. Maybe by artificial, people mean the pathways are too linear?

Thanks for checking. since I edited my posts to update the pics, right now there's no difference.
The tiles are 134mm across (longer side)
... and I never played this either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Evil Tile : not too sure the enchanted side doesn't stretch the theme too far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carthaginian wrote:
Evil Tile : not too sure the enchanted side doesn't stretch the theme too far

Nice, but you have to be careful with colours on enchanted tiles. An Enchanted tile radiates magic of a particular colour(s). Looking at the tile above, one might assume that it radiates black and gold magic (since the lava looks a BIT gold).

So either stick to a particular colour, or perhaps incorporate the Magic Symbol you created a while back into the tiles to clearly indicate that this is the type of magic(s) that radiate here.

Love the work so far though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will these be something that can be imported into Realmspeak? Can it be done already? My fiancee likes the game but doesn't like the graphics (I taught her on Realmspeak) - she already said that these will make the game much more interesting for her. Just curious.

These are wonderful, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Realmspeak already supports both the classic counters and the newer ones (from http://magicrealm.org/components/ ) so I guess adding this set of graphics would be possible too.

-Jorge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
TaleSpinner wrote:

Nice, but you have to be careful with colours on enchanted tiles.

Evil Tile : still dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Linden Woods

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Guy

Snohomish
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just... wow... I'm loving your stuff, man. Loving it! I can't wait to see what you do for mountains and caves ^_^. Keep up the great work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
OglBrutus wrote:
I'm just... wow... I'm loving your stuff, man. Loving it! I can't wait to see what you do for mountains and caves ^_^. Keep up the great work.

Thank you! The mountains are looming ahead, the caves gaping at my feet...
In the meantime Maple Woods :

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
TaleSpinner wrote:
...or perhaps incorporate the Magic Symbol you created a while back into the tiles to clearly indicate that this is the type of magic(s) that radiate here.

Love the work so far though!

Glad you like it! We have to do something with these symbols. I think it will be on the spells and treasure cards; since it seems we can't have colors match the symbols. As for the magic types I noticed the notation 'witch magic' on the tiles frame:

Is it a magic type actually used in the game?

Jorge, about your remark on the connections of the valley tiles (sorry, I shouldn't've edited my post); did you notice that the unpunched tiles have a huge valley winding from side to side of the frame? It must have stuck in my mind when I first did the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carthaginian wrote:
Jorge, about your remark on the connections of the valley tiles (sorry, I shouldn't've edited my post); did you notice that the unpunched tiles have a huge valley winding from side to side of the frame? It must have stuck in my mind when I first did the tiles.

I see I didn't check the tiles, just thought about it when I saw your version. Still, I think it's better to fix that problem (as you did)...

-Jorge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
maka wrote:
Still, I think it's better to fix that problem (as you did)...

You're most certainly right!

Just to do something else than the tiles of magic realm, I doodled a first draft for the wizard character. Of Magic Realm.

maybe a tad too gandalfy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is, if anything, less "Gandalf" than the original illustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [31] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.